Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
and Philadelphia has wealthier suburbs/Pittsburgh is a wealthier city
There must be more wealth in Center City Philly than the whole city of Pittsburgh put together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
There must be more wealth in Center City Philly than the whole city of Pittsburgh put together.

not totlly sure but even so with that remember there is also significantly more poverty in Philly then all of Pittsburgh put together Philly is just a larger city and metro

One thing to me and maybe its just me but Pittsburgh is sort of the corssroads of three areas, Northeast, Midwest, and Applachia (Maybe the northern capital in a way of Applachia)

I see some similarities though but also differences to me Pittburgh is more unique in it blends or is the transition among three areas whereas Philly is more solidly Northeastern (or of one being) with a little transitional Midatlantic south thrown in

Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Philly is in the midatlantic, not just a little bit either.the climate it is most similar to is dc. All places are transitions, oddly the philly dialect is southern inflected though local dialects are in decline. I agree that pittsburgh is more unusual in that sense since it is a three way blend rather than two

Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Center city is wealthy but the majority of the city isn't.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 PM

Pittsburgh is less poor, both have fairly high poverty rates. Pennsylvania has some serious issues with income segregation partly due to localization of school funding

Old 09-10-2015, 08:02 PM

9,329 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Center city is wealthy but the majority of the city isn't.
Philadelphia's highest-income neighborhoods are wealthier, but Pittsburgh (a) is no slouch in that department and (b) proportionally speaking, has a lot more conventionally middle class (and much fewer severely impoverished) neighborhoods.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:38 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Pittsburgh is less poor, both have fairly high poverty rates. Pennsylvania has some serious issues with income segregation partly due to localization of school funding
There was a post a while back about how the wealthy and poor are more segregated in the Philadelphia area (mainly the suburbs and city) than any other major metro region in the country.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There was a post a while back about how the wealthy and poor are more segregated in the Philadelphia area (mainly the suburbs and city) than any other major metro region in the country.
It's a statewide trend most prominent in philly where most of the wealth is located. Schools are part of it as is act 111

Old 09-11-2015, 05:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Everyone that knows me know that I love my adopted hometown of Philly and I'm a "Philly Booster." I can go on and on about how great our museums and cultural institutions are; how fine our restaurant scene is; how important our history is; the abundance of our architectural treasures; etc. etc.

However, in my view Pittsburgh is a more beautiful city. The 'Burgh has several neighborhoods that are equal or superior in charm to our Manayunk. The hills, the greenery, the streetscapes, the mountains, even the rivers ... in my opinion surpass in beauty what Philadelphia has.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Dialects may be different, weather is drastically different, and Philadelphia has wealthier suburbs/Pittsburgh is a wealthier city, but the similarities significantly outweigh the differences.
Not at all. I think you meant to say Pittsburgh is a more middle class city, while proportionally, Philadelphia has more lower class or poor. I respect Pittsburgh a lot but there is more wealth in Center City than the entirety of Pittsburgh. That's not including Lower North (Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden) West Philly (UCity, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park), South Philly (Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital) and Northwest Philly (West Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk).

Philadelphia is a larger city. There's going to be more wealth in both suburbs and city limits.

How many homes are selling in the city limits of Pittsburgh for $1 mill plus? Very few. How many condo towers filled with million plus units or under construction? None.

The Philadelphia you knew from two years ago is not even the same city. Philadelphia county will overtake Pittsburgh city in median household income by 2020.

Philadelphia:
Quote:
The continued influx of well-heeled young professionals and suburban empty nesters has pushed household income in Center City and many of its adjacent neighborhoods into six-figure territory.
An analysis of census data by Lauren Gilchrist, director of research for JLL in Philadelphia, puts Center City's average household income at $107,000, with some areas - including Society Hill, the waterfront, Rittenhouse Square, and Old City - much higher.
By comparison, the average household income of Philadelphia as a whole was just $54,367 for 2009 to 2013, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 09-11-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City