Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
....right. So you want me to say there are a lot of poor people in Philadelphia? Does that make the troll feel better?

Again. so poor people are the biggest negative you can have? Damn. You are something. You can repeat it again on here, most of us don't care. Chicago and DC maybe more "wealthier" than us as a whole, but the murder rate was still lower!
No not the biggest, but having such a high concentration of impoverished people does tell a serious story about the city's economy and its ability to produce significant jobs.. And it does fly in the face of the Rose colored glasses you PBS memebers wear.

I will agree Philly's crime had come down considerably. that doesn't mean it will stay down.. The city needs Jobs, that's is biggest and most glaring shortcoming. The City, not the Burbs. Fix the job situation in the city the Philadelphia Most Impoverished Title will fix itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, it doesn't, and that's what you're not getting here. Philadelphia, unless you can post otherwise, is indeed experiencing better population and economic growth than Pittsburgh, which is what her claim was. Poverty has nothing to do with that claim, and as has been noted by more moderate posters, effects both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh near equally. Yes, it's a huge problem for both cities, but it doesn't automatically negate Philly's superior growth. Don't know why you think it does or feel the reason to get hostile about it...
Quoting myself because you're ducking this Blackbeauty...

Old 01-05-2016, 04:53 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
One thing Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have in common is that they both have at least one highway in desperate need of modernization.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like I said any critisim of Philly and you bring'em out ...

Sweetkisses - not bitter, sorry that realism sound like bitterness. Maybe I would too gullably buy into the PBS Fatasy of Philly if I didnt live there myself.

Is there a reason many of you participate feverantly on CvC but barely touch the actually Philly subforums??? Is it because many of the Philly homers there wont buy your guys "Philly is all Roses" BS either.
You are pressed. No one cares how you feel about Philly. Philadelphians are allowed to have pride in their city. I'm literally sitting here laughing at you. Keep trying to beat a dead horse, no one cares. LOL

Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Guess again, ol'Pittsburgh hater, and this comes from the Philadelphia Media itself. I guess the Philly media forgot the Philly CvC Booster Club Code of Conduct.

Phila. rates highest among top 10 cities for deep poverty - philly-archives
PPIC - Pathological Pittsburgh Inferiority Complex

Blackbeauty212 so you still have the PPIC thing going then ?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Quoting myself because you're ducking this Blackbeauty...
1 - Pittsburgh/Allegheny county has the 2 highest elders population in the country next to Broward County, FL. These people do die. There is a generational gap in Pittsburgh because of the Steel Collapse.... The city is literally millennials and elderly. With Millennials taking the increasing share as Elderly Die or move to FL. Millennials aren't popping out the kids the way there Parents were.

This make its harder for Pittsburgh to post population gains... It's sole source of gains as been from inward migration not enough to make up for the Elderly losses, in total. Philadelphia does not have this problem to contend with there for its gains are easily more recognizable. But let's not act like people are flocking in droves to Philly because it has something other cities don't... It's NOT DC, NYC or SF.... more of it can be made from NYC out migration then anything.

2 - Center City is NOT the borders of the city of Philadelphia.... CC is doing great with housing, yes JOBs, No. While CC is great the rest of the city is anything but... You can't write off the rest of the city to only cherry pick CC... That like NYC claiming prosperity because Manhattan is booming but the other 5 Borough are sh*tholes... Doesn't work like that....

Housing doesn't make up for Jobs, now had the Story been Center City is booming with companies relocating there, then that something.... And this leads to my other point, if Philly the city isn't producing the Jobs for all these mid-6 figure housing project where are the incomes coming from for people to afford all this housing??? Right, the Burbs. I've always said Philly is probably one of the biggest reverse commute cities in the Nation.... It's rush hour is really unique... Go to 30th Street station @ 7am, just as many people commuting outbound as coming inbound. There's even a significant commuting base to NYC...NYC pay, Philly COL best of both worlds, I've seen it first hand.

So Shakeera argument is weak at best... It's goes back my claim of misrepresentation of facts to change the outcome of opinion.

Would Philly be the Nation's most Improvised city if the right sectors of its economic were really booming..... meaning decent good paying jobs??? Something tells me not...

Pittsburgh is not a leading city of impoverishment, Gentrification is more Pittsburgh's looming problem then it is Poverty.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
PPIC - Pathological Pittsburgh Inferiority Complex

Blackbeauty212 so you still have the PPIC thing going then ?
Was wondering what kept you Rainrock, all your other PBS Members got here hours ago.... Gotta keep up, sir, you're slacking... Is KidPhilly still on patrol?

Love the spin, btw, wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
ha

I have no issue with Pittsburgh at all and call the warts of Philly out regularly

and are you suggesting I am some delusional booster? I tend to think am mostly very rationale...

When it comes to Philly and the Burgh I personally don't find BB rationale

Old 01-05-2016, 06:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
1 - Pittsburgh/Allegheny county has the 2 highest elders population in the country next to Broward County, FL. These people do die. There is a generational gap in Pittsburgh because of the Steel Collapse.... The city is literally millennials and elderly. With Millennials taking the increasing share as Elderly Die or move to FL. Millennials aren't popping out the kids the way there Parents were.

This make its harder for Pittsburgh to post population gains... It's sole source of gains as been from inward migration not enough to make up for the Elderly losses, in total. Philadelphia does not have this problem to contend with there for its gains are easily more recognizable. But let's not act like people are flocking in droves to Philly because it has something other cities don't... It's NOT DC, NYC or SF.... more of it can be made from NYC out migration then anything.

2 - Center City is NOT the borders of the city of Philadelphia.... CC is doing great with housing, yes JOBs, No. While CC is great the rest of the city is anything but... You can't write off the rest of the city to only cherry pick CC... That like NYC claiming prosperity because Manhattan is booming but the other 5 Borough are sh*tholes... Doesn't work like that....

Housing doesn't make up for Jobs, now had the Story been Center City is booming with companies relocating there, then that something.... And this leads to my other point, if Philly the city isn't producing the Jobs for all these mid-6 figure housing project where are the incomes coming from for people to afford all this housing??? Right, the Burbs. I've always said Philly is probably one of the biggest reverse commute cities in the Nation.... It's rush hour is really unique... Go to 30th Street station @ 7am, just as many people commuting outbound as coming inbound. There's even a significant commuting base to NYC...NYC pay, Philly COL best of both worlds, I've seen it first hand.

So Shakeera argument is weak at best... It's goes back my claim of misrepresentation of facts to change the outcome of opinion.

Would Philly be the Nation's most Improvised city if the right sectors of its economic were really booming..... meaning decent good paying jobs??? Something tells me not...

Pittsburgh is not a leading city of impoverishment, Gentrification is more Pittsburgh's looming problem then it is Poverty.
Now you're doing the same thing you're claiming Shakeesha is doing (which she's not)--misrepresenting the facts as it were, only you're using excuses and generalization. Pittsburgh is literally Millenials and elderly? Sure. And if that were the case, and pure gentrification is Pittsburgh's "problem", then why isn't it a magnet like other hyper gentrifying cities like NYC, SF and DC? Something doesn't hold up here.

The " PBS" has calmly and rationally provided statistics and analysis for Philadelphia, while also acknowledging its shortcomings. You seem to just be on a bash binge, for lack of a better word. Philadelphia is just Center City now? All of the construction/gentrification in U City, NoLibs, Fishtown even Kensington shows otherwise. People aren't flocking to Philly? Not in NYC/DC droves sure, but at least they're coming. Can Pittsburgh claim the same? Philadelphia has many of the same historical and current issues that Pittsburgh has (they're in the same state for crying out loud), yet seems to be doing better by many objective metrics, your personal anecdotes not withstanding. And it doesn't get county level support plus the disdain of much of the state! It's not boosting to point this out, and the fact that you're so dismissive of actual facts and reason definitely implies an agenda on your part.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:

I'm not even addressing the first part since I don't really care...

But do you honestly think Philadelphia is not growing in jobs? Lol. The jobs Philadelphia is adding are significant paying jobs. There is a lot more to poverty then just adding jobs. Most people in poverty do not go to good schools, and do not have the opportunities to compete for jobs, not matter how many jobs the city adds. It would take generations to fix poverty... it's not a matter of adding a few jobs in 10 years and boom poverty is gone.

Even so, the poverty statistics of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are so similar that you can hardly call the two different. With Philadelphia at 22% and Pittsburgh at 20% poverty, you're really saying Pittsburgh is better off?

Philadelphia is not the nation's most impoverished city. It's hilarious that you still can't spell this correctly. It's also hilarious that you still claim this. There are many many cities more impoverished than Philadelphia: Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, Oakland, Newark, Buffalo, Baltimore, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc. etc.

Do you really think Philadelphian's just reverse commute? Hahaha.. that's hilarious. Majority of Philadelphian's work in the city. Yes, there are reverse commuters but I bet you there are plenty in Pittsburgh as well.

PS - Philadelphia is seeing more gentrification than Pittsburgh is... and it's really not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City