Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

There's literally no need for any hostility. Any rivalry between Philly and Pittsburgh (which really does seem one-sided, honestly), is completely counter-productive.

If the dysfunctional Pennsylvania state leadership shows us anything, it's that Philly and Pittsburgh need each other as brothers-in-arms more than ever.

Pennsylvanians should be proud to have two awesome hisorically significant and resilient cities that both show very exciting signs of promise and honestly display among two of the best "urban comeback" stories in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:41 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess and say my post will be followed up by slew of "But this and But that" caveats to explain away this brutal revelation by the PBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Correction... you're actually the Philadelphia hater. I don't think anybody hates Pittsburgh or gives it as much **** as you give Philadelphia.

Philadelphia does have deeply entrenched poverty, and this is certainly a very difficult thing to overcome. What's Pittsburgh's poverty rate though? Well that's right... their rates are not that different.

Pittsburgh has a poverty rate of 20.4% and a deep poverty rate of 11%
Philadelphia has a poverty rate of 22.9% and a deep poverty rate of 12.2%

Like really? Haha. The difference between the two are very minuscule. You should get your facts straight about your own city before trying to bash another city.

https://www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...nsylvania.html
https://www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...nsylvania.html

Also, Philadelphia definitely has more wealth in the city limits and the suburbs than Pittsburgh. There are more people making over $100K in Center City alone than the entire city of Pittsburgh. That doesn't include other areas of the city which have really taken off in wealth (Lower North, South Philly, University City and surrounding neighborhoods, Northwest Philly).

Their unemployment rates are very close too, both at about 5% now, but Philadelphia's is dropping faster because it has higher job growth.
Economy - Unemployment Rate

I know you don't like Philly, but at least admit the accomplishments it's making. Philadelphia certainly still has flaws (crime, public schools, urban decay, poverty), but a lot is changing and there are a lot of good things happening in Philadelphia. It really is undergoing a renaissance. A lot of the city is redeveloping and rebuilding, not just Center City. The poverty rate is dropping, the unemployment rate is dropping, crime is dropping, the population is growing, jobs are moving back to the city, etc.
:Yawn: I think I will play the Powerball when I get off work tonight ..... Carry on President of the Philly Booster Squad!

I can do a Google search for top 10 most improvised cities .... Pittsburgh DOESN'T show up on a single one .... Philadelphia shows up on every single one, and at the Very Tippy Top as a matter of fact ..... But you're such a jaded Philly Booster, losing his mind at any, i mean any criticism of Philly, no matter how Valid. It's really unhealthy and kind of scary when you think about it.

- Philly has a much high unemployment rate in the city more like around 8%, than Pittsburgh the city like 3.5% - you numbers are the Metro, and in that case they're probably correct.
- Philly is 1.5 million in the city, Pittsburgh 305K in the city, of course Philly is going to have more rich, but Philly vs Philly it has way more POOR than Rich or even upper middle class. COL wise... Plus I want to see hard stats about more wealth in Center City, than the entire City of Pittsburgh. I believe you pulled that right out of your A**, as typically a Booster does.
- Only you believe Philly the city has any significant job growth. A rational person knows Philly "the city" still SUCKs for Jobs, its burbs outperform the city, in damn near every metric.

I like Philly for what it is, I have lived in Philly, and I've posted about Philly where I think it excels, but I'm not going to sit here lie about it's shortcomings ..... Philly is NOT what the you and other PBS members make it out to be, its as simple as that.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 01-05-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
:Yawn: I think I will play the Powerball when I get off work tonight ..... Carry on President of the Philly Booster Squad!

I can do a Google search for top 10 most improvised cities .... Pittsburgh DOESN'T show up on a single one .... Philadelphia shows up on every single one, and at the Very Tippy Top as a matter of fact ..... But you're such a jaded Philly Booster, that losing his mind at any, i mean any criticism of Philly, no matter how Valid. It's really unhealthy and kind of scary when you think about it.

Philly is NOT what the PBS makes it out to be, its as simple as that.
Hahaha.. I really don't care what you think. Everytime I pull actual facts and statistics, you try to deflect it and dismiss it as false. It's hilarious.

I'm not boosting Philly one bit. I'm acknowledging what you are saying, and confirming it, but also showing you that Pittsburgh is right around the same in poverty levels as Philadelphia.

And correction... neither Pittsburgh or Philadelphia are among the 10 most impoverished (which I think is what you meant to say) cities in the US... not even close. I think you're confusing the title of that article with actual facts again. All it's saying is Philadelphia is the most impoverished city out of the top 10 largest cities in the US... not the Philadelphia is one of the 10 most impoverished.

Here is a list of the top 10 cities with the highest poverty rates:

Detroit, Michigan 42.3%
Cleveland, Ohio 36.1%
Cincinnati, Ohio 34.1%
Miami, Florida 31.7%
Fresno, California 31.5%
Buffalo, New York 30.9%
Newark, New Jersey 30.4%
Toledo, Ohio 30.1%
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 29.9%
St. Louis, Missouri 29.2%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Here are the 10 metro areas with the highest poverty levels:
10 Metro Areas With the Highest Poverty Levels - US News

Philadelphia does have high poverty levels, but so does Pittsburgh. Philadelphia is not in the top 10 in the US, probably not even the top 50 depending on the size of the city you're measuring. Either way, Pittsburgh wouldn't rank too far behind Philadelphia.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There's literally no need for any hostility. Any rivalry between Philly and Pittsburgh (which really does seem one-sided, honestly), is completely counter-productive.

If the dysfunctional Pennsylvania state leadership shows us anything, it's that Philly and Pittsburgh need each other as brothers-in-arms more than ever.

Pennsylvanians should be proud to have two awesome hisorically significant and resilient cities that both show very exciting signs of promise and honestly display among two of the best "urban comeback" stories in the US.
I agree, which more PBS members could see the same, rather than marginalize a city they truly know nothing about.

RightonWalnut, Summersm - is a lost cause, dude is way off the cliff when it comes to Philly. I don't get where his Philly insecurities come from ... He tries so mightily to paint Philly as something it simply is not.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Hahaha.. I really don't care what you think. Everytime I pull actual facts and statistics, you try to deflect it and dismiss it as false. It's hilarious.

I'm not boosting Philly one bit.
ROTFLMAO!.... Spit my coffee on my PC Screen ... You really need to take a step back from the Keyboard on that one. Stevie Wonder could see you're the Biggest Irrational Philly Booster on these forums.

You're stats are meaningless, stats can be manipulated, data can read however you want to interpret it.

Again Philadelphia own Media called it "the Poorest Big City in America" that came from Philly Media, not any one outside stat.

Even Philly's ex-Mayor said "Philadelphia has highest poverty of any city in America, and its the main problem that hold Philly back"... Was Nutter lying?

Outgoing Philadelphia mayor: Deep poverty holding city back

Yet you can't find one about Pittsburgh poverty levels being noose around the city's neck.

So we have both the Inquirer and the Former Mayor, admitting to a big problem in Philadelphia... I guess they're all lying and secretly hating their own city, because they wont ignore the harsh truth, or try to gloss over it as non-important, like you do.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
ROTFLMAO!.... Spit my coffee on my PC Screen ... You really need to take a step back from the Keyboard on that one. Stevie Wonder could see you're the Biggest Irrational Philly Booster on these forums.

You're stats are meaningless, stats can be manipulated, data can read however you want to interpret it.

Again Philadelphia own Media called it "the Poorest Big City in America" that came from Philly Media, not any one outside stat.

Even Philly's ex-Mayor said "Philadelphia has highest poverty of any city in America, and its the main problem that hold Philly back"... Was Nutter lying?

Yet you can't find one about Pittsburgh poverty levels being noose around the city's neck.

So we have both the Inquirer and the Former Mayor, admitting to a big problem in Philadelphia... I guess they're all lying and secretly hating their own city, because they wont ignore the harsh truth, or try to gloss over it as non-important, like you do.
If stats are meaningless, than why are you on here? Seems like the only one pulling stuff out his *ss is you, what with your blatant misinterpreting of articles and dismissal of reason and solid fact.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
If stats are meaningless, than why are you on here? Seems like the only one pulling stuff out his *ss is you, what with your blatant misinterpreting of articles and dismissal of reason and solid fact.
Summersm aka RightonWalnut stats are meaningless, because its skewed to fit his narrative of Philly and not conclusive.

misrepresentation of what .... OMG this is unreal .... there's nothing for me to misrepresent .... Philadelphia is the Poorest Big City in America, end of story. I took it straight from the horses mouths. Two sources of media confirmed this, it goes directly against the claim Shakeesha made about Philadelphia doing better than Pittsburgh. It's NOT!

Look I'm sorry if PBS members have a hard time with truths about Philadelphia .... The majority of CvC seems to be filled with PBS personnel now. But when the lone news Paper, and the Mayor admit to the stark realization of the ills of Philly, there no pulling anything out of my a**, its all right there, anyone can read.

The Inquirer and Nutter have nothing to gain by nonfactual bash their city.... They admit to the real Philly, unlike the PBS here.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
- Philly has a much high unemployment rate in the city more like around 8%, than Pittsburgh the city like 3.5% - you numbers are the Metro, and in that case they're probably correct.
- Philly is 1.5 million in the city, Pittsburgh 305K in the city, of course Philly is going to have more rich, but Philly vs Philly it has way more POOR than Rich or even upper middle class. COL wise... Plus I want to see hard stats about more wealth in Center City, than the entire City of Pittsburgh. I believe you pulled that right out of your A**, as typically a Booster does.
- Only you believe Philly the city has any significant job growth. A rational person knows Philly "the city" still SUCKs for Jobs, its burbs outperform the city, in damn near every metric.

I like Philly for what it is, I have lived in Philly, and I've posted about Philly where I think it excels, but I'm not going to sit here lie about it's shortcomings ..... Philly is NOT what the you and other PBS members make it out to be, its as simple as that.
1. The City of Philadelphia is at 5.9% unemployment rate as of November 2015:
Philly unemployment rate lowest since 2008 | PhillyVoice

Pittsburgh is at 4.5% unemployment rate as of November 2015:
Pittsburgh, PA Economy at a Glance

The Philadelphia Metropolitan area is at 5.2% unemployment rate as of November 2015:
Unemployment in the Philadelphia Area by County ? September 2015 : Mid?Atlantic Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The Pittsburgh Metropolitan area is at 4.9% unemployment rate as of November 2015:
Unemployment in the Pittsburgh Area by County ? September 2015 : Mid?Atlantic Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

2. Center City Philadelphia now has a household income of over $100,000. That means about half of the households make six figures or more in Center City. With a population of 183,240 or more than half of Pittsburgh's entire population, that's about 91,620 people in Center City live in six figure households.
Center City household income now in the six figures - philly-archives
Center City District Reports Philadelphia's Downtown Population Is Now The Second Largest In The Entire Country | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

That's obviously not including other high income areas anywhere else in the city of Philadelphia.

On the other hand, 20% of Pittsburgh's population lives in a household earning six figures or more. With a population of 305,841, that means 61,168 people in Pittsburgh live in a household earning six figures.
http://statisticalatlas.com/place/Pe...usehold-Income

Yes, Philadelphia has more poor than rich or upper middle class... but so does Pittsburgh.

3. Philadelphia is certainly low in job growth, lower than it could be... but it's not doing terrible. It's job growth year over year between 2014 and 2015 was 0.03% or 2,075 jobs. Pittsburgh's year over year job growth between 2014 and 2015 was 0.2% or 478 new jobs.

The metro areas are a little different, with Philadelphia metro growing 1.2% and Pittsburgh metro growing 1%

Philadelphia City/County, PA Economy at a Glance
Pittsburgh, PA Economy at a Glance
Economy - Percent Change in Jobs by Sector

I have nothing against Pittsburgh, and I like it a lot. Your thoughts towards Philadelphia are a little delusional and out of touch with reality though. I'm perfectly willing to admit Philadelphia's woes, but the picture you like to paint of the city is a lot worse than it actually is.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Summersm aka RightonWalnut stats are meaningless, because its skewed to fit his narrative of Philly and not conclusive.

misrepresentation of what .... OMG this is unreal .... there's nothing for me to misrepresent .... Philadelphia is the Poorest Big City in America, end of story. I took it straight from the horses mouths. Two sources of media confirmed this, it goes directly against the claim Shakeesha made about Philadelphia doing better than Pittsburgh. It's NOT!

Look I'm sorry if PBS members have a hard time with truths about Philadelphia .... The majority of CvC seems to be filled with PBS personnel now. But when the lone news Paper, and the Mayor admit to the stark realization of the ills of Philly, there no pulling anything out of my a**, its all right there, anyone can read.

The Inquirer and Nutter have nothing to gain by nonfactual bash their city.... They admit to the real Philly, unlike the PBS here.
No, it doesn't, and that's what you're not getting here. Philadelphia, unless you can post otherwise, is indeed experiencing better population and economic growth than Pittsburgh, which is what her claim was. Poverty has nothing to do with that claim, and as has been noted by more moderate posters, effects both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh near equally. Yes, it's a huge problem for both cities, but it doesn't automatically negate Philly's superior growth. Don't know why you think it does or feel the reason to get hostile about it...

Old 01-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:

.... lol. I posted actual statistics on poverty rates for both cities. Both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have very close rates. I agree that poverty is definitely a problem in Philadelphia, but it's also a problem in Pittsburgh too. Maybe Philadelphia is more willing to address it while Pittsburgh turns away from the problems?

Quote:

I'm not skewing any numbers at all. I'm posting actual statistics. Just because they're not what you want to see doesn't mean they're skewed and incorrect. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have similar poverty numbers, Philadelphia has a higher percentage of six figure income households, Philadelphia is growing slightly faster in jobs and significantly faster in population (where Pittsburgh is stagnant or declining)...

How many million dollar condos or households are being built in Pittsburgh? How many highrises? Are there any condo towers like One Riverside or 500 Walnut going up in Pitt? Any 700 or 1100 foot tall office buildings? No.

They're both great cities for sure, but they're not too dissimilar. They both have similar poverty rates, wealth rates, crime rates etc.

The fact that you try to continue to paint Pittsburgh as rosy but Philadelphia as decaying is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City