Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Atlanta 54 60.00%
Phoenix 36 40.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:12 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
LMAO I have been to PHX. Please compare a suburb of PHX to Atlanta's lush greenery?

Atlanta the best sunsets said no one ever. The tree canopies in Atlanta's neighborhoods are beautiful, but they also hinder the views and the sky. Driving around the Valley of the Sun seeing mountain ranges scattered in each direction being shaded purple at sunset with a big desert sky at dusk is nothing short of memorizing. Driving around metro Atlanta freeways outside of the urban eye candy is generally well....trees...yeah, trees, trees, trees. Gets a bit dull. In Phoenix I also love the unique and varied Sonoran desert vegetation of saguaro cacti covered hillsides and all the mature date palms planted around the valley. Say what you will about the city of Phoenix or its suburbs, but the Valley is in a stunning geographical setting.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-11-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:20 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,633,235 times
Atlanta handily wins everything except maybe safety and scenery. And maybe suburbs, but who really cares about that?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,944,812 times
Atlanta ... and it's not even close (as the poll indicates).

Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 PM

8,638 posts, read 10,163,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Atlanta handily wins everything except maybe safety and scenery. And maybe suburbs, but who really cares about that?
Well, considering that a heavy majority of people who live in the Atlanta metro actually live in the suburbs and not the city of Atlanta, I would imagine that a majority of people in the Atlanta metro care about that. Make sense?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:02 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,475,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta ... and it's not even close (as the poll indicates).
says the person from atlanta. I guarantee that 20 of the 22 votes are people from the SUBURBS of atlanta lol. On a side note, it's kinda funny that Mesa(a suburb of Phoenix), has more people than atlanta city proper.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:27 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Well, considering that a heavy majority of people who live in the Atlanta metro actually live in the suburbs and not the city of Atlanta, I would imagine that a majority of people in the Atlanta metro care about that. Make sense?
I think he means on this forum where most people care more about and put more weight on central cities. But I agree that we shouldn't be so dismissive towards suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
says the person from atlanta. I guarantee that 20 of the 22 votes are people from the SUBURBS of atlanta lol. On a side note, it's kinda funny that Mesa(a suburb of Phoenix), has more people than atlanta city proper.
I'm pretty sure this thread is comparing the entire metropolitan areas and not just the cities proper though. I mean if Atlanta was 500+ square miles, it would have a population of over 1 million too.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Sunbelt suburbs are mostly the same and fairly indistinguishable from one another. A typical suburban experience in Atlanta isn't going to be considerably different from one in Phoenix, except that instead of rolling hills and trees, you get mountains and saguaro. I don't believe suburbs are an important point of comparison when comparing two sunbelt cities, unless they have something unique to offer (i.e. Decatur, GA). They very rarely contribute to the urban fabric of a city.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Sunbelt suburbs are mostly the same and fairly indistinguishable from one another. A typical suburban experience in Atlanta isn't going to be considerably different from one in Phoenix, except that instead of rolling hills and trees, you get mountains and saguaro. I don't believe suburbs are an important point of comparison when comparing two sunbelt cities, unless they have something unique to offer (i.e. Decatur, GA). They very rarely contribute to the urban fabric of a city.
You also have edge cities, college towns, historical areas, areas with unique geographical features, ethnic enclaves, etc. So in that context, places like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Kennesaw, Stone Mountain, Peachtree City, Vinings, Chattahoochee Hills (Serenbe), Norcross, etc. are all definitely assets for Atlanta.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You also have edge cities, college towns, historical areas, areas with unique geographical features, ethnic enclaves, etc. So in that context, places like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Kennesaw, Stone Mountain, Peachtree City, Vinings, Chattahoochee Hills (Serenbe), Norcross, etc. are all definitely assets for Atlanta.
Good point. I don't completely discount the suburbs, but the unique assets are still relatively few and far between, IMO. I personally don't view Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, or Atlanta's other edge cities as assets, as they siphon jobs and amenities away from the core and create unnecessary sprawl.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:19 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Who effin cares about lush greenery? I wouldnt have moved here if I wasnt a fan of desert scenery. And IMO, Scottsdale, with its mountains, lakes, cacti, impeccable streets, world class shopping/dining, arts, etc, blows away anything I saw in ATL's burbs. And who cares how about age? Scottsdale is plenty old, bub. I prefer western cowboy and Native American history to ATL's history.
Well, that's your opinion-- you're entitled to it. But being on a discussion board, I'm entitled to tell you that Phoenix doesn't want it with Atlanta, and you know it.

Pound for pound, Buckhead is a little too much for Scottsdale. Now, yes, you do have Paradise Valley, but North Fulton ain't hurting.

City to city, Atlanta stands head and shoulders above Phoenix.

I will still admit that Phoenix is a fun place to be, but the only thing PXH blows is dust bowls. It can't come for any of the major metropolitan areas on the Eastern Seaboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City