Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 03:00 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times

Advertisements

Kentucky has the highest grade for infrastructure. Sadly it's only a C. But we're above the national average at least! Which is a dismal D+. But you know, greatest nation on earth...
States | 2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure

Old 12-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Also, actually just curious, do any of these cities have a strong public transit system? Like I said, Louisville is considering a streetcar down 4th Street, but our bus system actually works pretty well for the size and layout of the city, depending on your destination. But like most cities its size, public transit isn't favored. Do any of the cities in this thread have a strong system or any future plans for light rail/subway?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Also, actually just curious, do any of these cities have a strong public transit system?
No. And none of them will anytime soon.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Also, actually just curious, do any of these cities have a strong public transit system? Like I said, Louisville is considering a streetcar down 4th Street, but our bus system actually works pretty well for the size and layout of the city, depending on your destination. But like most cities its size, public transit isn't favored. Do any of the cities in this thread have a strong system or any future plans for light rail/subway?
Nashville has had one leg of commuter rail since 2006. Plans for light rail have been derailed by the state government. Mayor Barry would like to see things improved,

Transit - Megan Barry for Mayor

Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM

382 posts, read 488,658 times
I just found out today that the Louisville area has 4 H&M stores, while Nashville and Indianapolis have 2 each. How is this possible with their smaller and less wealthy overall population, compared to the other cities?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
I just found out today that the Louisville area has 4 H&M stores, while Nashville and Indianapolis have 2 each. How is this possible with their smaller and less wealthy overall population, compared to the other cities?
It could have something to do with the fact that Kentucky overall is a pretty poor state and H&M is not a designer store. For example, we only have Nordstrom RACK in Louisville, no actual Nordstroms. The other cities have a regular Nordstrom. Indy and Nash both have a Saks, but Lou and KC only have Saks off 5th. That's my best guess--the other cities are larger and have a larger concentration of wealth so they can handle the higher end department stores. Though Louisville has its fair share of wealthy people, the state as a whole is very poor. I know people in Louisville who take a weekend vacation in Nashville or go down for weddings and while they're there they make sure to do the more high-end shopping at places like Nordstrom. Others will even drive up to Cinci for the day, or stay with friends for just a night and go shopping. H&M is more affordable.

Personally, I think Louisville is ready to get its own higher end department store. I think the East End could definitely support one. Plenty of wealthy business people, lawyers, people in the horse industry, etc. You can tell their brands are nice, they have giant homes, they drive expensive German cars, etc. They would definitely shop at a Nordstrom or Saks. It might have more to do with city planning than anything, with the outlet mall only 20 minutes away. I definitely don't have a solid answer for you though. I was surprised when you commented that actually!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:58 PM

382 posts, read 488,658 times
It probably wasn't my smartest comment I have ever made on here, but even though H&M does typically cater to a younger, more "broke" crowd, the company tends to expand into areas with either a large wealthy population or a larger share of millennials. Overall, Nashville probably still has a leg up on Louisville as far as higher end retail is concerned, while Louisville has more options around H&M and Forever 21's price range.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
It probably wasn't my smartest comment I have ever made on here, but even though H&M does typically cater to a younger, more "broke" crowd, the company tends to expand into areas with either a large wealthy population or a larger share of millennials. Overall, Nashville probably still has a leg up on Louisville as far as higher end retail is concerned, while Louisville has more options around H&M and Forever 21's price range.
Louisville has a pretty low unemployment rate, but a lot of the jobs are are more blue-collar factory type jobs, UPS, etc. That gives people enough disposable income to buy clothing quite often, but at more reasonable prices. Maybe Louisville's high percentage of gay residents has something to do with it

Old 01-19-2016, 06:18 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Quote:
Why does that even matter? Just because a specific retailer has a larger footprint in one city vs another means almost nothing. Especially a retailer like H&M. How many Targets or Khols does Louisville have compared to the others?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why does that even matter? Just because a specific retailer has a larger footprint in one city vs another means almost nothing. Especially a retailer like H&M. How many Targets or Khols does Louisville have compared to the others?
I don't think it was actually a matter saying it's a good or bad thing. The way I understood it, he/she was just curious as to why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City