Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 10:27 AM

93,390 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Except we are NOT the same people as those Africans that first arrived here. We are only descended from them, just as we are also descended from Europeans and Amerindians/Asians.

If skin color is truly relevant, does this mean that the amount of pride one should have be based on how dark they are? Is Mariah Carey allowed to be Afrocentric?

So what sound purpose does it serve to define yourself by only part of who you are instead of your entire composition? Maybe it was a necessary tool for self esteem in the past, but can we honestly say that it will benefit us or our children in the future?
As long as the socio-historical reality in regard to race/ethnicity/culture stays the same as it has been, then yes. What is key is that the proper and complete education is given in that regard, as a lot of history taught in schools is partial, incomplete or is just flat out wrong. Things like the 13th amendment and Christopher Columbus come to mind in terms of a couple of examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 AM

This looks like a good website in regards to the DFW area: BlacksInDallas.com | Where and Why African Americans choose Dallas

Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^This and this clears up the DNA aspect in regard to Black Americans: BlackDemographics.com | African American DNA
Pretty much supports my point, and it's very interesting data. I have to say that Houston is surprisingly low. I wonder what the sample size was.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
As long as the socio-historical reality in regard to race/ethnicity/culture stays the same as it has been, then yes. What is key is that the proper and complete education is given in that regard, as a lot of history taught in schools is partial, incomplete or is just flat out wrong. Things like the 13th amendment and Christopher Columbus come to mind in terms of a couple of examples.
But can you call it true pride if it is only a response to your current social status. Discrimination and loyalty based on race was the very reason this nation has always suffered from racial conflict. Fire cannot be fought with fire.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Pretty much supports my point, and it's very interesting data. I have to say that Houston is surprisingly low. I wonder what the sample size was.
Actually, it shows that Black Americans are primarily of African descent(about 80%) as well.

Also, you have to account for different social experiences. Another way to put is a quote by Tom Burrell, which is "Black people are not dark skinned White people". Meaning, there has been/is a different general socio-historical reality between people of Black African descent and White people in the US. You don't even have to be militant to recognize that.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Except we are NOT the same people as those Africans that first arrived here. We are only descended from them, just as we are also descended from Europeans and Amerindians/Asians.
Of course there has been some mixture over time but overall, we are overwhelmingly descended from Africans. As the link chthankgod shows, the average Black person is only 17-18% White. My roots are in the SC Lowcountry, so mine is even lower.

Quote:
If skin color is truly relevant, does this mean that the amount of pride one should have be based on how dark they are? Is Mariah Carey allowed to be Afrocentric?
Ummm, did you miss where I said our pride is largely cultural and historical?

Quote:
So what sound purpose does it serve to define yourself by only part of who you are instead of your entire composition? Maybe it was a necessary tool for self esteem in the past, but can we honestly say that it will benefit us or our children in the future?
As with the vast majority of people groups throughout history, our identity is based on our history and culture first and foremost. You're the only one putting this big emphasis on genetics.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:05 AM

183 posts, read 249,706 times
Quote:
The Neo Black Power movement of the late 80s and 90s; largely incorporating anti-white sentiments and the spread of myths and unsupported events as legitimate history.
I think you're confused. There was an Afrocentric movement in rap/hip hop during that time period. I'm aware of the Neo-Black Movement in Africa not America.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:

So you're saying we should celebrate the descendants as well who raped and violated our black ancestors???

Lets not act as if those relationships were consensual. Black people back then were treated like animals. Black women were used to breed children for the white men as well.

I don't see why I should embrace or celebrate my European blood. As far as I'm concerned, I'm black and that's that. I don't care what percentage of whiteness is in me. I'm black and I plan to seek out my african roots one day and celebrate that and that only.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 12-26-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 08:46 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
But can you call it true pride if it is only a response to your current social status. Discrimination and loyalty based on race was the very reason this nation has always suffered from racial conflict. Fire cannot be fought with fire.
Cultural identity is often forged in the fires of oppression. I'm reminded of the Old Testament in which God constantly uses Israel's former status as slaves in Egypt as a cultural reference point to reinforce their identity and a guide as to how they should treat each other and people from other ethnic groups. Out of our oppression in the U.S. came cultural characteristics and practices in the way of music, religion, cuisine, etc., many of which have come to help define not just us but America as a whole and have been exported all over the world. If you don't think that's something to be proud of, then I don't know what to tell you.

Loyalty based on race by the group with all the resources is quite different than loyalty based on race by the group with comparatively little resources as a response to discrimination by the dominant group and in an effort to gain a greater share of resources.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Actually, it shows that Black Americans are primarily of African descent(about 80%) as well.
Right. I never said otherwise.

Quote:
Also, you have to account for different social experiences. Another way to put is a quote by Tom Burrell, which is "Black people are not dark skinned White people". Meaning, there has been/is a different general socio-historical reality between people of Black African descent and White people in the US. You don't even have to be militant to recognize that.
But what about those Black Americans who may not relate to those social realities and feel they easily identify with mainstream America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City