Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I don't think of Chicago as a mini New York. Never have. I like Chicago a lot more than New York.

Chicago is the perfect combination of being Middle America and an International city whereas NYC is strictly international. I lived in Liincoln Park for two years. If the weather weren't so putrid, I'd still be there. I can't do those winters again tho...
Wimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Wimp.
You deal with the winters then. I can deal with heat all day long but not cold. I had enough of that.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM

317 posts, read 377,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
... LOL I'm not sure if this is a ....
  1. Complement to Cleveland
  2. Insults Cleveland
  3. Complement for Chicago
  4. Insults Chicago
To me it is a bit of a insult, only because Chicago may have less in quantities but plenty of quality today it has ATTAINED. Like a ...
  1. Skyline that can go up with Manhattan
  2. Top Restaurants as NYC
  3. High-End Shopping street to go up to 5th Ave
  4. Skyscraper living in Upscale and TRUELY High-End as NYC
  5. A Theatre district today, for evolving Plays before Broadway and Top plays to come
  6. A Downtown with Vibrancy and to Live in with desirability
Why i see it as a bit of a insult is.....
  1. Chicago does have attributes of Manhattan
  2. Earned a right to have it given credit for those aspects
  3. Has attained Premier Shopping Street up with 5th Ave NYC and Rodeo Dr. LA.
  4. High-End Living Downtown and Gentrified neighborhoods with great to superior housing
If you say Bigger Cleveland. You seem to deny Chicago's HARD EARNED STATURE in its Downtown especially, that has evolved.
What i would call Chicago is .....a Cleaner NYC. Some valid comparisons and qualities today. But of course not in quantities. GENERALLY IT IS NEW YORKERS WHO GET OFFENDED TO SEE CHICAGO AS A MINI-THEM... NOT REALLY CHICAGOANS OFFENDED. If it ACKNOWLEDGES SOME..... MANHATANIZATION ATTRIBUTES. But in a TOTALLY CHICAGO VERSION and added Mid-Western flavor. It's about Positives then.....

I see Downtown Chicago and North Shore neighborhoods as a CLEANER AND GENTLER TREE-LINED VERSION of Manhattan. That isn't PRETENTIOUS all wrapped up in itself. Chicago displays better too, what it does have...

My slant and opinion...
More like rant and "fangirling" that hardly anybody bothers to read and pay attention to anymore.

Majority of all that is untrue and is the typical boasting of Chicago that you do in every single post I see at any and every thread involving Chicago. A cleaner NYC? More like a tiny version of NYC with mostly typical Midwestern characteristics for the rest, whose activity level is at best at a mid-size city level in comparison.

Last edited by cityguy7; 09-23-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
More like rant and "fangirling" that hardly anybody bothers to read and pay attention to anymore.

Majority of all that is untrue and is the typical boasting of Chicago that you do in every single post I see at any and every thread involving Chicago. A cleaner NYC? More like a tiny version of NYC with mostly typical Midwestern characteristics for the rest, whose activity level is at best at a mid-size city level in comparison.
You are on City-Data, City vs. City forums. People HAVE FAVORITE CITIES and State...
Where a city excels
What aspects a city has
How a city compares to other cities
Where a city has similar attributes to another
I do see in Grandeur and Aesthetics.... Chicago is no slouch in its Skyline.....

In TOP Restaurants... It has its share.
2015 Top 40 Restaurants in the US - 2015 Restaurant Issue | Gayot

NYC has 8 listed by gayot. Chicago 4 listed
Bouley .......................... Alinea
Daniel ........................... Everest
Eleven Madison Park ....... Grace
Jean-Georges ................. Tru
Le Bernardino
Le Cirque
Per Se
Suchi Nakagawa

Tops in Shopping Street. The NEW YORK POST this year. Printed their list...
The 9 best shopping streets in the world | New York Post 2015.

Maximilianstraße, Munich
Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills
Fifth Avenue, New York
Bond Street, London
Michigan Avenue, Chicago
Strøget, Copenhagen
P.C. Hooftstraat, Amsterdam
Ginza, Tokyo
Via Montenapoleone, Milan

I clearly do not see my SPACIFIC COMMENTS On Chicago .... PRETENTIOUS-- meaning..... being characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved:
I fully stand by the ATTRIBUTES I ADDRESSED.

I have called some New Yorkers a bit PRETENTIOUS. In NOT willing to see other cities CAN and DO have TOP CALIBER ASPECTS TOO. Not merely NYC alone.... all the best and only all the #1 in everything.

I NEVER LOWER NYC's Stature and Greatness. I still can give aspects though.... of things it is not better at, and other cities can have some things they do or appear better in their city. That especially includes Chicago.

I posted a Skyline that can go up to Manhattan. Chicago will NEVER match MANHATTAN'S QUANTITY of Skyscrapers. But it does have a Awesome Skyline in its own right. That has great examples representing all the Eras and varieties to showcase too.

The Chrysler, Woolworth and Empire State buildings. Will ALWAYS BE MY FAVORITES and most everyone being pretty universal.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
It's because of the train...

Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranacMan View Post
Not even close.

The only cities similar to Philadelphia are New York and Boston, and even then its a stretch.

The Northeast cities have an older dynamic to them, and they could be grouped together for that reason, but they're all very different from one another as well. They're colonial American era.

Chicago is nothing like them at all and its own breed.
And Baltimore.....

Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's because of the train...
I was going to say the same thing. NYC and Chicago are in known for their old school subway and elevated train lines. Philly and Boston are the only other cities to have elevated trains run right above streets or behind the back of buildings. Boston destroyed the orange line elevated to now it only NYC, Chicago, and Philly that have that scene. Other cities developed subway systems at later times and they have a completely different feel than the old school subway systems.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I cringe at it too because nothing is a mini New York. It's insulting to New York and whatever city someone is claiming is a mini New York, to say that.
For god's sake, cities can't be 'insulted'. Even New York.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

672 posts, read 756,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Lot of the Irish and Italian neighborhoods in NYC do not feel that International to me and the Jewish neighborhoods do not feel that international. NYC while being the most diverse city to me it still feels uniquely America.
This exactly. A subset of Manhattan is truly international. And only a part of it. Most of the boroughs just 'feel' like dense bedroom communities, parts of which are dominated by migrant enclaves of different stripes.

I always have a laugh when a certain type of New Yorker confects condescension for other places when they're paying 2/3 of their wages to live 1.5 hours from anywhere interesting. But, hey, they're in New York! The center of the world! I suppose its nice to be part of something bigger.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, of course it's ridiculous to call Chicago 'Little New York'. The main reason why not is best shown in an example.

In my limited experience, folks in NY have said, almost uniformly: 'oh yeah, I liked Chicago when I was there'. (I'll emphasise 'almost'.)

Chicagoans, in contrast, have a touch of middle-child insecurity about them. 'We're just as good, but like, totally different.' Usually followed by a hopeful 'come to Chicago, you'll love it'. Of course, the full range moves from Rahm's sneering bloviation to 'man, I wish I could live by the ocean'.

Those two attitudes are borne out in the culture of both places. Hell, they're even borne out in the urban fabric of both places. And to reiterate, that means they're not at all the same.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
People, Chicago can't speak - it's not a person. Please use some common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City