Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 PM

430 posts, read 835,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you mean Millennials are attracted to more than just walkable neighborhoods, but jobs as well? Hmmmm....we'll see if Baltimore keeps the growth up. It's one year. Do it consistently and I'll be impressed. Baltimore isn't having the greatest year when it comes to social issues and crime which could easily offset the growth.
Little to none of the crime is in neighborhoods that millennials consider. If you look at a map, it's mostly all in the west-central part of the city.

And yes, a theme of this thread is that there are more jobs available in Atlanta these days than Baltimore. The tech crowd may be changing that in Baltimore, and a renewed interest in mutual funds (which tend to be based in Baltimore) instead of ETFs (which don't) or a more healthy stock market generally would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you mean Millennials are attracted to more than just walkable neighborhoods, but jobs as well? Hmmmm....we'll see if Baltimore keeps the growth up. It's one year. Do it consistently and I'll be impressed. Baltimore isn't having the greatest year when it comes to social issues and crime which could easily offset the growth.
Walkable neighborhoods + job openings for college grads. Baltimore has that. I never said Atlanta is turning into a third world dump or anything. It's improving as well. But Baltimore, based on the facts I've provided, is attracting a lot of college graduates for good paying jobs. Furthermore, it has the more walkable neighborhoods that attract millennials. When compared to places like NYC or DC, which are also walkable with great job markets, Baltimore has a much lower COL, more on par with Atlanta. So urban + jobs + low COL=high chance for success. Atlanta is doing its part as well, but I'm more concerned with the fact that you can't understand how Baltimore is successful as well. Just because I believe Baltimore has a bright future and probably one brighter than Atlanta doesn't mean that no other city is doing well.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
  • Which city is more urban and dense? Baltimore
  • Which city is more historical? This is a question? Baltimore is one of our oldest cities, Atlanta was barely around in the Civil War. Without a doubt Baltimore.
  • Which city has better and safer transportation? Unsure, but being in the Bos-Wash corridor I'd lean Baltimore on the extension of its services
  • Which city will be the better place to live in 25 years? Atlanta, it already is, and Baltimore isn't really improving.
  • Which city's blight has a better shot at being gentrified before then? Baltimore has more blight, so it has the better chance here.

• Which city is more urban and dense? Baltimore
  • Which city is more historical? This is a question? Baltimore is one of our oldest cities, Atlanta was barely around in the Civil War. Without a doubt Baltimore.
  • Which city has better and safer transportation? Unsure, but being in the Bos-Wash corridor I'd lean Baltimore on the extension of its services
  • Which city will be the better place to live in 25 years? Atlanta, it already is, and Baltimore isn't really improving.
Which city's blight has a better shot at being gentrified before then? Baltimore has more blight, so it has the better chance here.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol the fact that you can't grasp this concept is honestly comical. I almost feel bad for you. Atlanta's overall population has increased. However, Baltimore's college educated population has increased more rapidly. So much so that even while other poorer neighborhoods in Baltimore declined in population, the overall population of Baltimore increased, due in large part to the increases in populations in neighborhoods where the college educated people are moving to (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill, etc.) I literally quoted the article so you didn't have to click the link and read it. The article says those neighborhoods had a population increase. Meanwhile, Baltimore grew at an overall more slowly than Atlanta. Therefore, Baltimore attracted enough college educated young people to offset the decline from poorer neighborhoods. Please explain to me what part of that you don't understand.

How do you know for sure that all the population growth in Atlanta is coming from whites gentrifying neighborhoods? Do you have an article or any facts to support that? Without anything to support your arguments, you are simply spouting opinions. Opinion after opinion will not prove anything besides your ignorance.
An Afterward to White Flight: Atlanta's Return to Community & Long Road Toward Integration | East Atlanta, GA Patch

Quote:
...white families settling in Atlanta are disproportionately affluent. More than 16 percent of Atlanta’s white households earn at least $200,000, nearly twice the rate of the metro-area’s white households.'
Quote:
Over the past 10 years, the number of white children under five living in Atlanta grew by an astounding 51 percent. A cluster of four southeast Atlanta neighborhoods (East Atlanta, East Lake, Edgewood, and Kirkwood) has been most dramatically impacted. In 2000, these neighborhoods were home to a combined total of just 94 white children. By 2010, that number had grown by over 500 percent to 592.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
But it is on these lists: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/citi...ech-jobs-2015/

No. 6: Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA - In Photos: The Cities Creating The Most Information Jobs - Forbes

Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Finally. Some actual proof. Thank you. I did not know that so that's some new information.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Atlanta's white population went from 138,352 to 211,365 between 2000 and 2010 and that's likely going to increase even further this decade now that Atlanta is seeing REAL growth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._and_ethnicity

Old 10-11-2015, 10:06 PM

430 posts, read 835,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Interesting list! I think both Baltimore and Atlanta are both a little underrated on that one but I do note it shows that the average tech salary in Baltimore is $98,440 compared to $87,780 in Atlanta, while the average rents are nearly the same in each.

Quote:
Finally. Some actual proof. Thank you. I did not know that so that's some new information.
I second this praise. That's an illuminating article about gentrification in Atlanta.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Interesting list! I think both Baltimore and Atlanta are both a little underrated on that one but I do note it shows that the average tech salary in Baltimore is $98,440 compared to $87,780 in Atlanta, while the average rents are nearly the same in each.
I see Baltimore being a little higher in terms of housing costs and rents according to this source: Cost of Living Calculator | Comparison Tool

Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 PM

I thought it was common knowledge Atlanta is one the fastest gentrifying cities in America.

The 10 U.S. cities that are gentrifying the fastest | Grist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City