Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 PM

430 posts, read 834,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
College educated Millennials! They're so much of them that they can completely offsetting any negative growth in the more poorer neighborhoods of Atlanta, something Baltimore CAN'T do.
Wrong.

Baltimore's growth in the gentrifying areas actually IS offsetting negative growth in the blight. Baltimore's overall city proper population increased in the past couple years for the first time since around 1950.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
My bad on the Falcons! I've only actually been to Orioles and Braves games, but the Orioles are right at both the commuter (heavy) rail station and the light rail station. The Braves, as you say, are not.

Here in NYC I generally avoid LaGuardia vs. JFK precisely because it requires a bus or taxi to get there instead of the subway. In much the same way, I greatly prefer the ease of the Oriole games to the Braves games. But baseball isn't everything, of course. But it does also help that Baltimore has only one downtown (right next to the Orioles and the Inner Harbor) whereas Atlanta has three (none of them anywhere near the Braves).
Downtown is like a half a mile from Turner Field. Let's not speak in hyperboles.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Wrong.

Baltimore's growth among the gentrifying whites actually IS offsetting negative growth in the blight. Baltimore's overall city proper population increased in the past year for the first time since around 1950.
By just 2,000 people since 2010. In the same time, Atlanta has grown 36,000. It's the same thing. Gentrifying whites are offsetting negative growth from blight, but at a much higher rate than Baltimore which ends that entire argument that Baltimore is more attractive to Millennials than Atlanta because of walkable neighborhoods. Clearly, not.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Atlanta is also not on this list:
No. 4: Baltimore-Towson, MD - In Photos: America's New Tech Hot Spots - Forbes

Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
By just 2,000 people since 2010. In the same time, Atlanta has grown 36,000. It's the same thing. Gentrifying whites are offsetting negative growth from blight, but at a much higher rate than Baltimore which ends that entire argument that Baltimore is more attractive than Atlanta because of walkable neighborhoods.
No. By 10,000 since 2013. Offsetting the loss between 2010 and 2013. If that was a constant rate for Atlanta, then Baltimore is growing just as fast as Atlanta today in 2014 and 2015.

Atlanta is attracting people with jobs, I'm not sure why that also means to you that Baltimore is not more attractive (job markets being equal) or does not have more walkable neighborhoods.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm tired of hearing about which cities are the new tech spots, etc, etc. Unless you're SF, Seattle, Boston Austin, or Raleigh, you're largely irrelevant to the actual overarching Tech field.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I'm tired of hearing about which cities are the new tech spots, etc, etc.
Most Georgians are. But you do have Yik Y-ak!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Just because Baltimore is superior on these fronts doesn't make Atlanta a "slouch." There are new construction condos and high-rises in both. Redeveloped historic properties in both, though Baltimore is older and has a longer history to draw upon so has obvious advantages. Only Baltimore really has row houses of note, so that's just one primary difference.
Again, outside of being more urban, it's very debatable as to whether Baltimore is superior in those other areas (being more urbane and exciting); I don't see the slam dunk for Baltimore that you're seeing. And clearly Atlanta has the upper hand in terms of new residential construction and by a good amount.

Quote:
Baltimore has good transit options. Why is Atlanta superior in transportation to your mind? It's a lot easier to get in and out of Orioles and Ravens games in Baltimore than it is Braves and Falcons games in Atlanta, using trains and/or light rail instead of cars, for instance.
Well for starters, Baltimore doesn't have an east/west transit line and the proposed red line got slashed. The Braves stadium doesn't have MARTA access, but Phillips Arena is MARTA-accessible, the Georgia Dome has two very accessible stations, and the new Falcons stadium currently under construction will be even more accessible and include a pedestrian bridge directly connecting the stadium to the Vine City MARTA station. Again, MARTA isn't exactly a world-class system, but it is more extensive within Atlanta than MTA is within Baltimore. But I give Baltimore credit for having commuter rail, which is important especially for folks who work in DC. MARTA takes on commuter rail-like qualities in the northern stretches of its reach.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
No. By 10,000 since 2013. Offsetting the loss between 2010 and 2013. If that was a constant rate for Atlanta, then Baltimore is growing just as fast as Atlanta today in 2014 and 2015.

Atlanta is attracting people with jobs, I'm not sure why that also means to you that Baltimore is not more attractive (job markets being equal) or does not have more walkable neighborhoods.
So you mean Millennials are attracted to more than just walkable neighborhoods, but jobs as well? Hmmmm....we'll see if Baltimore keeps the growth up. It's one year. Do it consistently and I'll be impressed. Baltimore isn't having the greatest year when it comes to social issues and crime which could easily offset the growth.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
By just 2,000 people since 2010. In the same time, Atlanta has grown 36,000. It's the same thing. Gentrifying whites are offsetting negative growth from blight, but at a much higher rate than Baltimore which ends that entire argument that Baltimore is more attractive to Millennials than Atlanta because of walkable neighborhoods. Clearly, not.
Lol the fact that you can't grasp this concept is honestly comical. I almost feel bad for you. Atlanta's overall population has increased. However, Baltimore's college educated population has increased more rapidly. So much so that even while other poorer neighborhoods in Baltimore declined in population, the overall population of Baltimore increased, due in large part to the increases in populations in neighborhoods where the college educated people are moving to (Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill, etc.) I literally quoted the article so you didn't have to click the link and read it. The article says those neighborhoods had a population increase. Meanwhile, Baltimore grew at an overall more slowly than Atlanta. Therefore, Baltimore attracted enough college educated young people to offset the decline from poorer neighborhoods. Please explain to me what part of that you don't understand.

How do you know for sure that all the population growth in Atlanta is coming from whites gentrifying neighborhoods? Do you have an article or any facts to support that? Without anything to support your arguments, you are simply spouting opinions. Opinion after opinion will not prove anything besides your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City