Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Speaking in hypotheticals is ridiculous. Most people would dare not choose Baltimore, especially most yuppies because how dangerous it is. On this forum, it's easy to say you'll live in Baltimore and be happy, but once you're actually there, it turns into a much different story.

Plus, I find most of Baltimore's rowhouse neighborhoods so boring and monotonous...I'm not the biggest fan of rowhouse cities, at least of the NE/Midwest variety. To me, they're basically have the energy of a single family home neighborhood but with more population density and up to the street.

To many people here live in a fantasy world vs. reality. It doesn't matter to me how urban Baltimore is if I'm not going to dare step foot in 90% of it because of the chance I get mugged. At least in Atlanta, just about all the walkable neighborhoods are safe.
ATLANTA HAS HISTORICALLY BEEN A HIGH CRIME CITY, AND RECENTLY AS 2012, HAD THE 6TH HIGHEST RATE. WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN THE 1990'S, ATLANTA WAS ALWAYS RANKED HIGH FOR CRIME ALONG WITH DETROIT, MIAMI, ST. LOUIS, AND NEW ORLEANS

Washington Dc Murder Capital | Washington is murder capital for second year - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

It was the second consecutive year that Washington, D.C., led the nation's most populous cities in per capita homicides. The study ranked cities over 100,000 population on the basis of per capita offense rates for crime categories monitored by the FBI.

Detroit, once scorned as the murder capital of the nation, dropped to fourth place in per capita homicides in 1990 behind Washington, New Orleans and Atlanta.

... Atlanta led the nation on overall serious crime for the second straight year, the study showed. Grand Rapids, Mich., ranked first in per capita rape, Miami in robbery, Mobile, Ala., in assault, and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in burglary and larceny. Newark, N.J., led in per capita motor vehicle thefts and Gary, Ind., had the highest arson rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Atlanta

"In 1994, Atlanta was ranked the most dangerous city in the country by the Morgan Quitno Press.[6]"

" At certain points in its history, Atlanta has been known for high crime rates, particularly property crime and homicides. Much of the city's crime, however, is centralized in most of its western neighborhoods and scattered neighborhoods adjacent to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport."

" Atlanta was recently ranked (October 2012) as the sixth most dangerous city in the United States among cities of more than 200,000 residents. According to Forbes the city has a violent crime rate of 1,433 per 100,000 and has experienced a violent crime rate rise of six percent in 2011."

The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News

Atlanta ranked number 2 by this 2011 U.S. News & World Report Ranking, Baltimore is 8th

And while you're talking down about the "doomed" cities of Detroit and St. Louis, eat on this:

http://www2.gsu.edu/~crirxf/St.%20Lo...ime%20data.pdf

Page 3 shows number of murders in 2003 in Cincinnati, Kansas City, Atlanta, and St. Louis
St. Louis had 74 murders, Atlanta had 149
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Why are discussing murder rates from 10-25 years ago? We're talking now and Baltimore is top 3 for murder rates right now.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Baltimore had as much murders in 1 week as Atlanta had the entire month.

http://www.atlantapd.org/pdf/crime-d...731CE664FB.pdf - Atlanta crime stats

https://data.baltimorecity.gov/Publi...k-40/4nh3-w6zf - Baltimore crime stats

Atlanta is currently at 72 murders this year. Baltimore is at 255. Baltimore is also a smaller city in land area so murders/crime is concentrated even more in the city limits.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:13 PM

78 posts, read 77,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
http://images.csmonitor.com/csm/2015...andard_600x400

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/up...live.html?_r=0

Best U.S. cities for Millennial college students | USA TODAY College

Millennials fuel downtown Baltimore's neighborhoods - Baltimore Sun

All of those articles show Baltimore being an attractive city for millennials. And while we're not the only age group fueling population growth, cities try to attract us because of the high levels of education and if they can attract us early, we're more likely to stay long term. Attracting baby boomers is secondary. Baby boomers are also want denser, more walkable neighborhoods so cities are appealing to them as well. But I mean it in the nicest way possible since my parents are baby boomers, trends of where millennials are headed are probably a bit more important because we're working age adults who will be contributing to the success of the city for a longer period of time.
Let me translate. Its attractive option due to higher pay offers and lower cost of living than surrounding DC etc. That's why. Just like how I ended up there. Everyone I've talked to was either a local who stayed after college or it was job offer.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
http://images.csmonitor.com/csm/2015...andard_600x400

Best U.S. cities for Millennial college students | USA TODAY College

Millennials fuel downtown Baltimore's neighborhoods - Baltimore Sun

All of those articles show Baltimore being an attractive city for millennials. And while we're not the only age group fueling population growth, cities try to attract us because of the high levels of education and if they can attract us early, we're more likely to stay long term. Attracting baby boomers is secondary. Baby boomers are also want denser, more walkable neighborhoods so cities are appealing to them as well. But I mean it in the nicest way possible since my parents are baby boomers, trends of where millennials are headed are probably a bit more important because we're working age adults who will be contributing to the success of the city for a longer period of time.
But as Millenials grow up and start families, they head for the suburbs which is how it usually goes. Sure there's a revival of inner cities but it's a bit overblown as far as Millenials go.

More millennials are changing their minds about the suburbs - Business Insider

Millennials Prefer Single-Family Homes in the Suburbs - WSJ

Close-in Suburbs Trending as Millennials Settle Down

Even so, Atlanta's future prospects with Millenials is good; it's really just picking up where it left off when the recession hit, which significantly negatively impacted Atlanta but job growth is quite strong these days.

These Are the Best Cities for Millennials

Old 10-11-2015, 08:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Atlanta's skyline is littered with cranes, building apartment buildings that are fully occupied almost immediately. F500 companies are building new towers near MARTA stations and in Midtown to take advantage of transit and to be near Georgia Tech to recruit their students. Historic buildings are being repurposed all over the city to accommodate millenials and their tastes. The Beltline is hugely popular and growing.

Atlanta's doing fine with millenials.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Atlanta's skyline is littered with cranes, building apartment buildings that are fully occupied almost immediately. F500 companies are building new towers near MARTA stations and in Midtown to take advantage of transit and to be near Georgia Tech to recruit their students. Historic buildings are being repurposed all over the city to accommodate millenials and their tastes. The Beltline is hugely popular and growing.

Exactly. Just look at the growth rates of both cities. I don't care about a bunch of articles. Post actual numbers. Numbers show Atlanta has had 8.6% growth since 2010 while Baltimore has had a whopping .3%. Clearly, Millennials are making their mark.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:32 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post

Just to compare but John Hopkins is a better school than Georgia Tech. They recruit some of the top talent in the world. No doubt GT is a great school and a top 10 engineering school though.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Exactly. Just look at the growth rates of both cities. I don't care about a bunch of articles. Post actual numbers. Numbers show Atlanta has had 8.6% growth since 2010 while Baltimore has had a whopping .3%. Clearly, Millennials are making their mark.
Did you read anything I posted? In pure numbers, Atlanta might have grown. But the articles I posted show that Baltimore is attracting more college-educated young adults. There's a difference.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
"Atlanta, one of the biggest net gainers of young graduates in the 1990s, has taken a sharp turn. Its young, educated population has increased just 2.8 percent since 2000, significantly less than its overall population. It is suffering the consequences of overenthusiasm for new houses and new jobs before the crash, economists say."

"And in a reversal, others that used to be magnets, like Atlanta and Charlotte, are struggling to attract them at the same rate."

"Other cities that have had significant increases in a young and educated population and that now have more than their share include San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Nashville, Salt Lake City and Portland, Ore."

"Of the metropolitan areas with the most populous city centers, Washington and Philadelphia showed the largest increases of young adults living there, at 75 and 78 percent. Other cities that have made big gains in that category are Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas, Miami and St. Louis."

"“They want something exciting, culturally fun, involving a lot of diversity — and their fathers’ suburban lifestyle doesn’t seem to be all that thrilling to many of them,” Mr. Glaeser said."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City