Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:21 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Speaking in hypotheticals is ridiculous. Most people would dare not choose Baltimore, especially most yuppies because how dangerous it is. On this forum, it's easy to say you'll live in Baltimore and be happy, but once you're actually there, it turns into a much different story.
Perhaps some more background research is in order. Baltimore is absolutely benefitting from a large influx of college-educated young professionals, even at a rate and raw numbers higher than Atlanta: City Observatory Report On The Young And The Restless - Business Insider

Quote:
Plus, I find most of Baltimore's rowhouse neighborhoods so boring and monotonous...I'm not the biggest fan of rowhouse cities, at least of the NE/Midwest variety. To me, they're basically have the energy of a single family home neighborhood but with more population density and up to the street.
Every city that has a certain vernacular of architecture is "monotonous" to some degree. That's what gives cities a unique sense of place, however. In fact, the fact that Baltimore, along with cities like Philadelphia, DC and Brooklyn, have such a concentrated core of rowhouse makes them extremely unique among large American cities. In addition, what makes single family detached home neighborhood after neighborhood any less "monotonous?"

You're also neglecting to consider that some of the most vibrant urban neighborhoods in the US are comprised of rowhouse density.

Quote:
To many people here live in a fantasy world vs. reality. It doesn't matter to me how urban Baltimore is if I'm not going to dare step foot in 90% of it because of the chance I get mugged. At least in Atlanta, just about all the walkable neighborhoods are safe.
You mean the fantasy world of thinking that 1) violent crime is spread evenly throughout a given city, or 2) that violence occurs completely at random? Any person with an ounce of critical thinking skills would realize none of those things are true.

Also, it's not like Atlanta has a general perception of being a super safe, either. So, that's a completely moot point.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-11-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Atlanta has grown about 36,000 over between 2010 and 2014. Baltimore has grown 2,000 between 2010 and 2014. Just sayin. One can easily look at the amount of multi-family units being built in most cities to realize Atlanta is doing far better at the moment.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Speaking in hypotheticals is ridiculous. Most people would dare not choose Baltimore, especially most yuppies because how dangerous it is. On this forum, it's easy to say you'll live in Baltimore and be happy, but once you're actually there, it turns into a much different story.

Plus, I find most of Baltimore's rowhouse neighborhoods so boring and monotonous...I'm not the biggest fan of rowhouse cities, at least of the NE/Midwest variety. To me, they're basically have the energy of a single family home neighborhood but with more population density and up to the street.

To many people here live in a fantasy world vs. reality. It doesn't matter to me how urban Baltimore is if I'm not going to dare step foot in 90% of it because of the chance I get mugged. At least in Atlanta, just about all the walkable neighborhoods are safe.
Atlanta has walkable neighborhoods??

Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Atlanta has walkable neighborhoods??
No, they all look like this:

[/sarcasm]

Old 10-11-2015, 07:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Baltimore because its more urban and more...."northern". I'm biased though, I could never live south of DC... even NoVa is stretching it for me.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, they all look like this:

[/sarcasm]
Nah Atlanta is much more country than that... A lot of streets lack sidewalks in ATL neighborhoods.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Nah Atlanta is much more country than that... A lot of streets lack sidewalks in ATL neighborhoods.
Here you go with that "country" nonsense again. And the neighborhoods with infrastructure issues (in many cases, the 'hoods that have obviously seen better days) would not be among the neighborhoods deemed the most walkable--which should be apparent.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here you go with that "country" nonsense again.
I am honestly curious. Not trying to bash Atlanta but what percentage of the city looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7127...8i6656!6m1!1e1

or:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6791...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 10-11-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am honestly curious. Not trying to bash Atlanta but what percentage of the city looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7127...8i6656!6m1!1e1

or:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6791...8i6656!6m1!1e1
I don't know what percentage I'd assign to each, but in the first link, I believe that's newer development that replaced public housing projects. Atlanta was the first city to get rid of all of its public housing projects and the sites that have been redevloped have taken on a few diverse forms.

The second link is more characteristic of southside neighborhoods that have not seen the amount of investment that core/northern neighborhoods have.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
http://images.csmonitor.com/csm/2015...andard_600x400

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/20/up...live.html?_r=0

Best U.S. cities for Millennial college students | USA TODAY College

Millennials fuel downtown Baltimore's neighborhoods - Baltimore Sun

All of those articles show Baltimore being an attractive city for millennials. And while we're not the only age group fueling population growth, cities try to attract us because of the high levels of education and if they can attract us early, we're more likely to stay long term. Attracting baby boomers is secondary. Baby boomers are also want denser, more walkable neighborhoods so cities are appealing to them as well. But I mean it in the nicest way possible since my parents are baby boomers, trends of where millennials are headed are probably a bit more important because we're working age adults who will be contributing to the success of the city for a longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City