Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh of course. I just mean that if Baltimore could attract those types of businesses somehow, it would be better off. As of now, I have to concede that Atlanta has a brighter future. But if Baltimore can get some better jobs playing off the DC market nearby, it would have the brighter future.
What an enlightening thought provoking post, Baltimore + more jobs=bright future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
What an enlightening thought provoking post, Baltimore + more jobs=bright future
Brighter than Atlanta...

Young people like the urban, walkable, historic cities with a lot of charm and culture. Baltimore has that advantage over Atlanta. Atlanta has the better job market. If Baltimore had the same job market as Atlanta, it would have a brighter.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:38 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Atlanta all the way. There are better, less dangerous rest stops along I-95 than Baltimore.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Brighter than Atlanta...

Young people like the urban, walkable, historic cities with a lot of charm and culture. Baltimore has that advantage over Atlanta. Atlanta has the better job market. If Baltimore had the same job market as Atlanta, it would have a brighter.
That's hardly the only thing young people like and Atlanta has other advantages. I love an urban, historic environment as well but people really put too much weight on that in these forums vs how things play out in the real world.

And young people aren't the only job-seekers. Middle-aged, mid-career professionals move around all the time also and they have a variety of preferences and needs.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's hardly the only thing young people like and Atlanta has other advantages. I love an urban, historic environment as well but people really put too much weight on that in these forums vs how things play out in the real world.

And young people aren't the only job-seekers. Middle-aged, mid-career professionals move around all the time also and they have a variety of preferences and needs.
No, it's not THE ONE thing that we want. But it's big factor. It's something to bring up in the discussion. For example, Atlanta, like nearly every other city, is trying to urbanize itself because that's the current lifestyle most people want. Baltimore already has the urbanity and walkability, while Atlanta is still in the process of forming itself as so.

My point is that if Baltimore had a similarly strong economy as Atlanta, it would be a better city for most people. For the more practically-minded people, Atlanta is the best option due to its growing economy and better career opportunities.

Still though, if I had the choice to work in either, I would take Baltimore.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
No, it's not THE ONE thing that we want. But it's big factor. It's something to bring up in the discussion. For example, Atlanta, like nearly every other city, is trying to urbanize itself because that's the current lifestyle most people want. Baltimore already has the urbanity and walkability, while Atlanta is still in the process of forming itself as so.

My point is that if Baltimore had a similarly strong economy as Atlanta, it would be a better city for most people. For the more practically-minded people, Atlanta is the best option due to its growing economy and better career opportunities.

For "most"? That's saying a lot and I'm not sure you could even prove that. DC, Dallas, and Houston have similarly strong economies; which ones have been posting higher growth figures?

Needless to say, we're not really talking in hypotheticals here; at this point, Atlanta is the stronger, healthier city.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Speaking in hypotheticals is ridiculous. Most people would dare not choose Baltimore, especially most yuppies because how dangerous it is. On this forum, it's easy to say you'll live in Baltimore and be happy, but once you're actually there, it turns into a much different story.

Plus, I find most of Baltimore's rowhouse neighborhoods so boring and monotonous...I'm not the biggest fan of rowhouse cities, at least of the NE/Midwest variety. To me, they're basically have the energy of a single family home neighborhood but with more population density and up to the street.

To many people here live in a fantasy world vs. reality. It doesn't matter to me how urban Baltimore is if I'm not going to dare step foot in 90% of it because of the chance I get mugged. At least in Atlanta, just about all the walkable neighborhoods are safe.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Speaking in hypotheticals is ridiculous. Most people would dare not choose Baltimore, especially most yuppies because how dangerous it is. On this forum, it's easy to say you'll live in Baltimore and be happy, but once you're actually there, it turns into a much different story.

Plus, I find most of Baltimore's rowhouse neighborhoods so boring and monotonous...I'm not the biggest fan of rowhouse cities, at least of the NE/Midwest variety. To me, they're basically have the energy of a single family home neighborhood but with more population density and up to the street.

To many people here live in a fantasy world vs. reality. It doesn't matter to me how urban Baltimore is if I'm not going to dare step foot in 90% of it because of the chance I get mugged. At least in Atlanta, just about all the walkable neighborhoods are safe.
By your logic, though, is it's easy to say how dangerous it is until you live here and realize that it's not as bad as you thought it was. Because in fact, that is the case. Your gross exaggeration (90% is dangerous) is almost laughable. Most, yes, MOST, of people who call Baltimore home that have never been a victim of a crime. If you care to sound intelligent, you could always do some research.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 10-10-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 PM

430 posts, read 835,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore's decline has just been so unfortunate; it's major saving grace these days is its proximity to DC and it has lost *all* of its F500 headquarters. Atlanta has its issues for sure but it's steadily progressing as a city while Baltimore is a bit stagnant.
Under Armour world headquarters just recently opened in Baltimore, and they'll be pretty close to F500 eventually. They are beating Nike to the punch on nearly all apparel fronts these days and are even challenging them on shoes. UA is now a $25 billion company. So as others have noted, the turnaround is beginning, but it is still in a stage of infancy.

Quote:
Yep, that's the thing. Baltimore is the more exciting, urban, and urbane city but its job opportunities are sorely lacking compared to cities like Atlanta. The housing stock (yes, rowhouses) and street grid is much better for what millennials want from their lives. But job growth is still the bottleneck to full-on Baltimore gentrification.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Yep, that's the thing. Baltimore is the more exciting, urban, and urbane city but its job opportunities are sorely lacking compared to cities like Atlanta.
Urban, sure. Urbane and exciting? Very debatable.

Quote:
The housing stock (yes, rowhouses) and street grid is much better for what millennials want from their lives. But job growth is still the bottleneck to full-on Baltimore gentrification.
Millenials are just as interested in mid- and highrise apartment and condo complexes, both new construction and redevloped historic properties and Atlanta is no slouch on that front whatsoever. They are also interested in having transit options and Atlanta, while not exactly stellar on that front, does better than Baltimore.

The implication that all Atlanta offers compared to Baltimore is more jobs is misguided and shortchanges Atlanta big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City