Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore or Atlanta?
Baltimore 42 48.28%
Atlanta 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
But the entire argument people are making is that Millennials are moving to Baltimore for it's walkable neighborhoods. If we start going into metro data, they would have to admit people aren't moving to the city, but to it's suburbs which would end the entire argument that Atlanta isn't attracting Millennials because it isn't as urban as Baltimore.

That's why I used city proper data, not metro data despite knowing the articles they posted related to the metro itself.

Atlanta has a very educated city proper, than as you go into the metro, it peters out. Baltimore is more educated in it's suburbs than it's city proper.
Fair point, but perhaps Millenials are moving to Baltimore's more urban suburbs? I also wouldn't be surprised if a significant share of the region's job growth is happening in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
How is Baltimore getting better than Atlanta quicker if murders and shooting are up 55% from last year vs. just 6-7% in Atlanta? I'm laughing so hard. Atlanta is growing faster city proper and metro wise. It's not close.
Would you say Chicago is also getting worse because its murder rate is increasing? It's mainly in the south side. In Baltimore, it's mainly on the west side. With an increase in college educated professionals, the crime in Baltimore is bound to decrease.

Baltimore gained more college educated young people. Atlanta gained more people. Period. Just people. That's a simple concept.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Urban, sure. Urbane and exciting? Very debatable.

Millenials are just as interested in mid- and highrise apartment and condo complexes, both new construction and redevloped historic properties and Atlanta is no slouch on that front whatsoever. They are also interested in having transit options and Atlanta, while not exactly stellar on that front, does better than Baltimore.

The implication that all Atlanta offers compared to Baltimore is more jobs is misguided and shortchanges Atlanta big time.
Just because Baltimore is superior on these fronts doesn't make Atlanta a "slouch." There are new construction condos and high-rises in both. Redeveloped historic properties in both, though Baltimore is older and has a longer history to draw upon so has obvious advantages. Only Baltimore really has row houses of note, so that's just one primary difference.

Baltimore has good transit options. Why is Atlanta superior in transportation to your mind? It's a lot easier to get in and out of Orioles and Ravens games in Baltimore than it is Braves and Falcons games in Atlanta, using trains and/or light rail instead of cars, for instance.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
But the entire argument people are making is that Millennials are moving to Baltimore for it's walkable neighborhoods. If we start going into metro data, they would have to admit people aren't moving to the city, but to it's suburbs which would end the entire argument that Atlanta isn't attracting Millennials because it isn't as urban as Baltimore.

That's why I used city proper data, not metro data despite knowing the articles they posted related to the metro itself.

Atlanta has a very educated city proper, than as you go into the suburbs, it peters out. Baltimore is more educated in it's suburbs than it's city proper.
You still didn't read anything I said. So if you're not reading anything I say, I can't argue with you because nothing will ever influence you. You still have yet to provide me with anything substantial.

The article I posted said Canton and South Baltimore are gaining college educated young people, while other neighborhoods in the city that are poorer have lost population. Canton and southern Baltimore neighborhoods are part of the city of Baltimore.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Fair point, but perhaps Millenials are moving to Baltimore's more urban suburbs? I also wouldn't be surprised if a significant share of the region's job growth is happening in the suburbs.
But it's still not Baltimore city itself and I doubt it honestly. It's job growth is happening in the suburbs. It almost leeches off of D.C. IMO. If Baltimore was a stand alone city/metro, it would be over.

D.C. is such a beast that it carries Baltimore's weight on it's shoulders and gives Baltimore some boosts in stats like job growth and a decent size educated population in the metro.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
But it's still not Baltimore city itself and I doubt it honestly. It's job growth is happening in the suburbs. It almost leeches off of D.C. IMO. If Baltimore was a stand alone city/metro, it would be over.

D.C. is such a beast that it carries Baltimore's weight on it's shoulders and gives Baltimore some boosts in stats like job growth and a decent size educated population in the metro.
Read. My. Evidence.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Just because Baltimore is superior on these fronts doesn't make Atlanta a "slouch." There are new construction condos and high-rises in both. Redeveloped historic properties in both, though Baltimore is older and has a longer history to draw upon so has obvious advantages. Only Baltimore really has row houses, but a great many of them are surrounded by blight today.

Baltimore has good transit options. Why is Atlanta superior in transportation to your mind? It's a lot easier to get in and out of Orioles and Ravens games in Baltimore than it is Braves and Falcons games in Atlanta using trains and/or light rail, for instance.
The train station is literally right at the footsteps from the Falcons and the Hawks. Someone from Dunwoody or Roswell in the northern suburbs can take transit all the way to the footsteps of the Dome and Philips Arena.

Braves, I'll give you that. You have to take a 5 minute shuttle between Turner Field and Five Points station.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 PM

And what suburbs would it be anyways attracting job growth. Towson? A strictly Baltimore suburb, on the other side of Baltimore from DC that has much more ties to Baltimore than anywhere else?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:45 PM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
The train station is literally right at the footsteps from the Falcons and the Hawks. Someone from Dunwoody or Roswell in the northern suburbs can take transit all the way to the footsteps of the Dome and Philips Arena.

Braves, I'll give you that. You have to take a 5 minute shuttle between Turner Field and Five Points station.
My bad on the Falcons! I've only actually been to Orioles and Braves games, but the Orioles are right at both the commuter (heavy) rail station and the light rail station. The Braves, as you say, are not.

Here in NYC I generally avoid LaGuardia vs. JFK precisely because it requires a bus or taxi to get there instead of the subway. In much the same way, I greatly prefer the ease of the Oriole games to the Braves games. Baseball isn't everything, of course. But it does also help that Baltimore has only one downtown (right next to the Orioles and the Inner Harbor) whereas Atlanta has three (none of them anywhere near the Braves).

Old 10-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Read. My. Evidence.
I've given up with you honestly. It seems you haven't understood anything at all. Keep deluding yourself in thinking Baltimore is attracting this plethora of Millennials while Atlanta is not. #Growthratesmatter and growth rates tell me Atlanta is the much faster growing city than Baltimore is and who's at the forefront of the growth in Atlanta? You guessed it. College educated Millennials! They're so much of them that they can completely offsetting any negative growth in the more poorer neighborhoods of Atlanta, something Baltimore CAN'T do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City