Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knoxville vs Salt Lake City
Knoxville 11 27.50%
Salt Lake City 29 72.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:01 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,774 times

Advertisements

This one's a little different. I'm mainly looking for a comparison of how it relates to Knoxville (since I'm somewhat familiar with certain aspects of it now) over which one's better.

On paper they seem to be comparable in both city population and metro population.

Do they feel about the same size?

I was surprised to discover SLC is about 21% Hispanic & 5% Asian.

What's the Latin community like in Salt Lake?

Here are a few areas to compare between Knoxville & Salt Lake:

1. Nightlife
2. Public Transportation. Noticed SLC had a light rail, but does it go anywhere useful?
3. Food. Types offered, specialties, etc.
4. Amenities
5. Weather.

Also I was wondering what the people were like in SLC. Closest to being Midwestern, people like Denver, W. Coast, or something else? I have met a few from my time in Portland and one of my good friends lives there now. Have family in Knoxville so that's always an option and I have a few more trips planned.

Since the focus would be on downtown I figure the Mormon influence would be less of an issue so I doubt it needs to be brought up.

Figured SLC might be an interesting alternative to Denver and a bit warmer than the Twin Cities.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 10-09-2015 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:55 PM

128 posts, read 268,163 times
To answer your question I have never been to Knoxville but I have a really good perspective on SLC and know it well.
Salt Lake County has over 200,000 latinos with most being of mexican descent. It is a large population that is definitely more concentrated in the western side of Salt Lake City and West Valley City. The community is continuing to grow quickly and is gaining more traction politically as well.
1. Downtown Salt Lake City has over 100 bars and the nightlife is getting better all of the time. There are weekly concerts and festivals during the summer and there is booze at every event like any other city. I currently live in Chicago but am moving back to SLC next June when I graduate from Grad School. I honestly drank more in SLC than I do here, it was actually easier for me to get to multiple bars there than here(although it depends on where you live in SLC).
2. For a city the size of SLC the public transportation is amazing if you live in SLC proper. There are three lines the green, blue, and red. They run every 15 minutes from 4 am to midnight and go all over the valley. All three run through downtown and go to multiple parts of the valley including the U of U, the Airport, WVC, and Sandy.
3. Again like the bar scene the food scene is getting better all of the time. You can find food of any ethnicity within salt lake and it is reasonably priced. As SLC has continued to grow more diverse you can find any type of food that you want.
4. The best part of SLC is the outdoor amenities. You are in a city that is the center of a metro of well over a million.... But you can be skiing, hiking, mtn biking, and boating only 20 minutes from downtown. In high school we had a ski team and would go for half the day because it was so close to where I lived. Utah itself has multiple national parks and is close to so many outdoor areas that you can't find in almost any other metro.
5. I actually enjoy the weather in Utah compared to the East and Midwest(Again I currently live in Chicago). The climate is dry which means it doesn't feel as hot in the summer and as cold in the winter. When it snows it can snow alot, but it usually melts fairly quickly. The summers are usually in the 80's and 90's, but again it feels different than if you had humidity. The worst part of weather is the nasty air pollution(called an inversion) that can gather during the winter(usually for a week or two). If a storm doesn't come in it can get pretty nasty.
Besides that if you do go into the suburbs the mormon influence could become a tad overwhelming. For me personally I have lived and will live in salt lake proper which is more like 30% mormon and is very progressive. An example of this is that SLC is about to elect an LGBT mayor in Jackie Biskupsie. Anymore questions ask away.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
MSA population IS pretty close, Salt Lake about 1.2 mil, Knoxville about 900K. However, CSA shows SLC at 2.4, Knoxville just 1.1. This shows that the major outlining areas are quite a bit bigger in SLC than Knoxville, as pertaining to tv market size, general advertising revenue, sports franchises, etc.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,921,767 times
Do they feel about the same size? Not at all to me. Salt Lake City is not a huge city or metro, but it feels much larger than Knoxville.

What's the Latin community like in Salt Lake? I couldn't tell you.

1. Nightlife
I'm pretty sure SLC has a pretty decent nightlife, especially downtown compared to downtown Knoxville

2. Public Transportation. Noticed SLC had a light rail, but does it go anywhere useful?
Um, yea, light rail in SLC is quite popular and well used. It's also being expanded.

3. Food. Types offered, specialties, etc. I think you can find good food in any city.

4. Amenities SLC has at least MLS and NBA, and I would guess it has more basic amenities (arts, culture etc)

5. Weather. Not sure, I have not lived in either to know what year round weather is like.

Also I was wondering what the people were like in SLC. Closest to being Midwestern, people like Denver, W. Coast, or something else? I have met a few from my time in Portland and one of my good friends lives there now. Have family in Knoxville so that's always an option and I have a few more trips planned.

SLC people to me seem to be a conservative version of Denver people so they are active, like doing things outdoors etc. But I'm sure younger people there are about the same as they are everywhere.

You also have a major airport hub and Park City Utah is one of the better mountain resorts in the country. Salt Lake City is VERY isolated though. That would be the major flaw for me. At least you are within driving distance of more in Knoxville.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Do they feel about the same size? Not at all to me. Salt Lake City is not a huge city or metro, but it feels much larger than Knoxville.

What's the Latin community like in Salt Lake? I couldn't tell you.

1. Nightlife
I'm pretty sure SLC has a pretty decent nightlife, especially downtown compared to downtown Knoxville

Um, yea, light rail in SLC is quite popular and well used. It's also being expanded.

3. Food. Types offered, specialties, etc. I think you can find good food in any city.

4. Amenities SLC has at least MLS and NBA, and I would guess it has more basic amenities (arts, culture etc)

5. Weather. Not sure, I have not lived in either to know what year round weather is like.

SLC people to me seem to be a conservative version of Denver people so they are active, like doing things outdoors etc. But I'm sure younger people there are about the same as they are everywhere.

You also have a major airport hub and Park City Utah is one of the better mountain resorts in the country. Salt Lake City is VERY isolated though. That would be the major flaw for me. At least you are within driving distance of more in Knoxville.
I think that is a pretty good summation, but perhaps I can fill in the blanks.

SLC's light rail does serve the entire metro and last I checked had good ridership.

SLC's weather is much different than Knoxville as you would expect. Typical Rocky Mountain climate with warm, dry summers, and cold, somewhat snowy winters, but stagnant air is common. However, SLC does not have the huge temperature swings that Denver gets. Knoxville is typical of the eastern US at mid-continent, warm, humid summers, and cool winters with just an occasional cold spell and some snowfall, not nearly as much as SLC.

SLC people are indeed very active, tend to be younger, and yes, conservative. The LDS influence is indeed stronger outside of the city of Salt Lake, something that surprises many.

Utah does have a large latino population, as most western states do here in 2015.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-09-2015 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger123 View Post
I honestly drank more in SLC than I do here, it was actually easier for me to get to multiple bars there than here(although it depends on where you live in SLC).
How is walking and/or the city experience with those big blocks?

Is there a particular food the city is known for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger123 View Post
The climate is dry which means it doesn't feel as hot in the summer and as cold in the winter. When it snows it can snow alot, but it usually melts fairly quickly. The summers are usually in the 80's and 90's, but again it feels different than if you had humidity.
80's & 90's with low humidity sounds doable it's just those spikes over 100 that get me.

Do people have problems with dry skin issues or have to adjust to the altitude like in Denver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
MSA population IS pretty close, Salt Lake about 1.2 mil, Knoxville about 900K. However, CSA shows SLC at 2.4, Knoxville just 1.1. This shows that the major outlining areas are quite a bit bigger in SLC than Knoxville, as pertaining to tv market size, general advertising revenue, sports franchises, etc.
Wow, never thought I'd see the day when CSA being used was better than going with the MSA. I figured this might be the case after I remembered they have an NBA team.

What cities would you say are most comparable to Salt Lake then?

I was looking at Tacoma earlier, but not that familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
However, SLC does not have the huge temperature swings that Denver gets.

Utah does have a large latino population, as most western states do here in 2015.
Yeah, I was going to ask about that.

I suppose the Latino population thing would have come to me eventually, but it's certainly not what comes to mind when you think Salt Lake City.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM

30,480 posts, read 19,236,406 times
I've spent some time in both cities. Here's my take

1. Nightlife - Neither or terrible and neither or standouts. Obviously if you are Mormon, SLC gives the best dating options and otherwise, it's Knoxville.
2. Public Transportation. Noticed SLC had a light rail, but does it go anywhere useful? Don't believe either is great or terrible.
3. Food. Types offered, specialties, etc. - I like the Southern food better of Knoxville but SLC might be healthier.
4. Amenities - SLC probably has more but Knox is closer to more cities.
5. Weather. - I prefer the drier climate of SLC.

Knox is more lush and beautiful due to more rain. SLC is an adjustment if you are not LDS and Knox is largely conservative evangelical.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:59 AM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times
1. Nightlife - You can find something to do in either city, however, Salt Lake City offers more bars, clubs, and restaurants, and shopping. Salt Lake City punches well above its weight here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZkAcIJYYQ

3. Food. Types offered, specialties, etc. - Salt Lake City and Knoxville have no shortage of restaurants. Knoxville has many more chain type establishments, while Salt Lake City offers more local flair. In Knoxville, Kingston Pike is the main thoroughfare for all sorts of dining. Being a college town, there are a lot of ethnic restaurants, sandwich shops, Thai restaurants, and pizza joints. Not as familiar with Salt Lake City, but the restaurants I tried where mainly around City Creek Center such as Bluelemon and Nauvoo by Temple Square, those were really good.

4. Amenities - Salt Lake City by a mile. Better airport, better shopping, better infrastructure, better convention center.

5. Weather - Knoxville can get humid, but being in the mountains, it's not sweltering like the Piedmont areas, Middle or West Tennessee. Knoxville experiences all four seasons pretty evenly, with winter and summer being a bit longer though. Salt Lake City has better weather in my opinion, especially if you like drier weather. Tennessee is flood and tornado prone.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
On paper they seem to be comparable in both city population and metro population.
Bad comparison... Completely different lifestyles and weather. Go visit both for about four days each and your questions will be answered.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-11-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,609,144 times
Quote:
Tennessee is flood and tornado prone.
We are speaking about Knoxville, not middle TN. The dams upstream from Knoxville are managed by TVA (as opposed to the corps of engineers) and there is a good system in place to regulate the lake levels in anticipation and as a result of weather events. The last time I saw the TN river breach the river banks in my neighborhood was in 1983. You may remember some flooding of first creek but the city has taken steps to rework the stream bed and buy out affected properties.

Because it's in a valley, Knoxville has less tornadoes than middle TN - though they do occur in the valley from time to time.

Btw Knoxville has plenty of local restaurants it may be you don't notice them because the chains have bigger signs. The local restaurants are mostly downtown and bearden; ethnic restaurants are tucked away in strip malls.

As far as personal preference goes - I think for most people it will boil down to climate. Though those peaks just outside SLC do seem appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City