Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Houston. It's apparently the most walkable Texas city from what I read. It's also the biggest, the most diverse, has great food, and the climate is very nice for three quarters of the year
I wouldn't call Houston walkable. At all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I wouldn't call Houston walkable. At all.
Compared with the rest of Texas it is. It has a higher walkscore than Austin, Lubbock, San Antonio, and it's practically San Francisco in comparison with Fort Worth

Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Compared with the rest of Texas it is. It has a higher walkscore than Austin, Lubbock, San Antonio, and it's practically San Francisco in comparison with Fort Worth
I would suggest visiting the cities before you make statements like that. Downtown Fort Worth and 7th are more pedestrian friendly than any neighborhood in Houston I've seen.

Houston is my favorite city in Texas, but walkable it isn't.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:12 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
Quote:
I would suggest visiting the cities before you make statements like that. Downtown Fort Worth and 7th are more pedestrian friendly than any neighborhood in Houston I've seen.

Fort Worth doesn't look walkable at all aside from the small downtown, outside the moat of highways around it, there's nothing but industrial parks and suburbs

https://www.google.com/maps/place/56...c17f6dd9d32025
https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...1f2e75fbadbbfc

Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,088 times
Here's my go at it.

1. Climate: I'm a Midwesterner at heart, so I'd likely have to go with the area that has the most Midwestern climate, and that would be Dallas - Ft. Worth

2. Vibe: San Antonio and the Riverwalk / Alamo area have a vibe that just doesn't seem to exist to the same level elsewhere. Plus, everyone I've met or interacted with from the San Antonio area seems very friendly and approachable.

3. Multicultural: The Dallas - Ft. Worth Area as a whole would seem to be the most multicultural area in Texas. Scores of transplants from every US State as well as immigrants from all over the globe.

4. Affordable: Austin loses this one. Most of the rest of Texas still seems fairly affordable overall.

5. Livable: San Antonio seems to the most livable to me. It has all of the big city amenities (except for MLB/NFL/NHL) with a slower pace than Austin, Dallas - Ft. Worth, and Houston.

6. Nature: San Antonio is on the south end of Texas Hill Country, with a ton of access to nature. Of course, Austin is right in the middle of hill country.

7. History: San Antonio wins this one easily.

8. Location: Houston and Dallas - Ft. Worth win for access to the Midwest and East Coast and El Paso certainly has greater access to the West Coast and Rocky Mountains. From the standpoint of all of the things that are nearby, Houston I believe is the winner here.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 PM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
^^ Good job except I would give number 3 to Houston.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 PM

156 posts, read 245,084 times
Quote:
Fort Worth doesn't look walkable at all aside from the small downtown, outside the moat of highways around it, there's nothing but industrial parks and suburbs

To be fair, Houston isn't all that walkable outside of its downtown, either.

Fort Worth's downtown (at least around Sundance Square) is more interesting.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,954 times
Quote:

Houston's downtown, in terms of structure and design, is no less inherently walkable than what you have in Ft. Worth, Austin, or San Antonio. Houston's downtown has the strong urban grid, wide sidewalks (without obstructions), and block-by-block layout that many walkable down-towns have; all it is missing is the pedestrian buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
To be fair, Houston isn't all that walkable outside of its downtown, either.

Fort Worth's downtown (at least around Sundance Square) is more interesting.
Fort Worth, like Austin and San Antonio, puts all its eggs into one basket, in terms of creating active, pedestrian friendly environments. Yes, you have your Sundance Square in Ft. Worth, or your 6th St. in Austin, but not much outside those areas, especially in terms of varied urban neighborhoods to the fabric. In Houston, at least, outside of downtown, you have Midtown, Heights, Montrose, etc. The grid set-up for Houston inside 610 is designed to sustain high-density walkable development.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Here's the thing. There isn't one walkable city in Texas. Not one.

There are a handful of walkable neighborhoods in the entire state.

If I absolutely had to pick the most walkable city in Texas, I would say Dallas because the Uptown and Oak Lawn neighborhoods are the most walkable in the state. But even then I would not call Dallas walkable.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:32 AM

641 posts, read 803,135 times
FW's downtown is a charm. There is a reason it ranked best downtown in the United States of America (yea, that's right!)

Different strokes for different folks though. I wouldn't say it's better than Houston or uptown/downtown Dallas. It depends on the person. But downtown FW is definitely more vibrant than downtown Dallas on Thurs evening to Sunday afternoon. The only thing the city lacks is a skyline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City