Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Beaches from Ocean City MD all the way up to Cape Cod have very very very cold waters, even in the summer time. I was in Encinitas this past summer, and the water there is much warmer than anything on Long Island. But of course there is a difference in latitude.
No they don't. By mid-summer you see low and mid 70s in NJ, unless there are weird and unusual currents that bring colder water (which happen and I think happened last year). Cape Cod actually has a warm current that comes and brings water with similar temps despite New England overall being colder.

I've been to Cape May in August and seen 75, 76 water temps.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No they don't. By mid-summer you see low and mid 70s in NJ, unless there are weird and unusual currents that bring colder water (which happen and I think happened last year). Cape Cod actually has a warm current that comes and brings water with similar temps despite New England overall being colder.

If he was here last summer (except for June), San Diego's SST were likely warmer than yours. He could have been here in early September when we were having overnight lows in the upper 70s paired with SST of around 80. 2015 was the warmest and most humid summer on record but it still proves that we are capable of providing perfectly fine beach weather for long stretches. Summer of 2014 also produced similar above normal conditions here. I"m telling you that we could be in heading into a long term warm epoch where these will be our new summer norms.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
If he was here last summer (except for June), San Diego's SST were likely warmer than yours. He could have been here in early September when we were having overnight lows in the upper 70s paired with SST of around 80. 2015 was the warmest and most humid summer on record but it still proves that we are capable of providing perfectly fine beach weather for long stretches. Summer of 2014 also produced similar above normal conditions here. I"m telling you that we could be in heading into a long term warm epoch where these will be our new summer norms.
It's just crazy to say that from MD to MA has "very very very cold water." Three "very's" is extremely dramatic. What I would describe as "very very very cold" would be most of Maine water and anything north of CA. Like 50s and low 60s.

Water in the Mid-Atlantic and Cape Cod in MA is not cold for most of the summer. I would say it's colder in May and most of June (high 60s usually) but, while people go to the beach then, it's not prime time since kids are in school and people work. The summer mindset isn't totally there until kids get out of school.

I know everyone's threshold for temperature is different, but calling water in the 70s very very very cold to me is dramatic. I think anything above 70 is okay, personally, especially coupled with warm/hot air temps and a strong sun. Mid-70s is ideal.

Here's a good link that shows water temps along every region from April to July. Cape May, NJ is in the mid-70s by mid-July. Here, at least, the water only gets warmer through September. The further along in the season, the warmer it gets. https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/cwtg/all.html

Old 01-24-2016, 12:30 PM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianpieohmy View Post
SoCal's climate is misleading? I'm sorry, but Florida's official slogan is the "Sunshine State". It's not even in the top 5 sunniest states (Hawaii, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado).
I don't know how people measure sunshine across an entire state, what do they do, average the sunshine across all their weather stations?

According to wikipedia, Miami averages 3,154 sunshine hours a year. In comparison to some other places:

Honolulu, Hawaii averages 3,035.9 sunshine hours a year. Less than Miami.
San Diego, California averages 3,054.6 sunshien hours a year. Less than Miami.

So for a coastal city, we have a lot of sun. We're not Phoenix for sure (which is around 4,000 hours of sun), which is a trade off from being coastal.

Quote:
It's a complete joke. Florida's humid weather means many afternoons filled with thunderstorms and rain.
Filled is an exaggeration if I ever saw one. During our rainy season on a typical year (this year, we were abnormally dry until November) we have thunderstorms every day.

For about a hour. Which means, people run inside, and come back outside in 1 hour. Nothing is ruined. No one is rained out of their beach vacation.

Also these storms are very isolated, it's very typical for one slice of Miami Beach to be storming (for that hour) and the other to be perfectly sunny.

It's literally up to the wind to drag these storms.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
I don't know how people measure sunshine across an entire state, what do they do, average the sunshine across all their weather stations?

According to wikipedia, Miami averages 3,154 sunshine hours a year. In comparison to some other places:

Honolulu, Hawaii averages 3,035.9 sunshine hours a year. Less than Miami.
San Diego, California averages 3,054.6 sunshien hours a year. Less than Miami.

So for a coastal city, we have a lot of sun. We're not Phoenix for sure (which is around 4,000 hours of sun), which is a trade off from being coastal.

Filled is an exaggeration if I ever saw one. During our rainy season on a typical year (this year, we were abnormally dry until November) we have thunderstorms every day.

For about a hour. Which means, people run inside, and come back outside in 1 hour. Nothing is ruined. No one is rained out of their beach vacation.

Also these storms are very isolated, it's very typical for one slice of Miami Beach to be storming (for that hour) and the other to be perfectly sunny.

It's literally up to the wind to drag these storms.
I remember during my vacation to Clearwater Beach a few years ago, in mid-July, it rained almost every day, but only for like an hour like you said. Nasty sudden storm or heavy, heavy, rain that went away as if nothing ever happened. I thought it was cool more than anything. The sky would just morph with these crazy clouds and sometimes you could watch it coming either from land or up the coast. I remember being in the water as we watched the squall approach one day. The only annoying thing was quickly grabbing your stuff off the beach and heading for shelter, but otherwise the weather was phenomenal.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:

Still talking water temps....

Or you can go to Cape May right now and enjoy the 31 degree water....

Old 01-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I remember during my vacation to Clearwater Beach a few years ago, in mid-July, it rained almost every day, but only for like an hour like you said. Nasty sudden storm or heavy, heavy, rain that went away as if nothing ever happened. I thought it was cool more than anything. The sky would just morph with these crazy clouds and sometimes you could watch it coming either from land or up the coast. I remember being in the water as we watched the squall approach one day. The only annoying thing was quickly grabbing your stuff off the beach and heading for shelter, but otherwise the weather was phenomenal.

Yeah, the day starts out nice and then humidity builds and builds, storm clouds materialize out of no where then it down pours and thunders for an hour or more then it starts to clear and gets very steamy. Every day.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Still talking water temps....

Or you can go to Cape May right now and enjoy the 31 degree water....
Still bitter CA has colder water than the East I see at height of beach season (summer). I posted a link with official averages, how will you manage to dispute it now?

According to my reputable link, SD temps are around 60 now. You couldn't pay me to go in that water, what are you on to think that is nice swimming temp, combined with cooler air temps?? Get out of here. Useless.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Still bitter CA has colder water than the East I see at height of beach season (summer). I posted a link with official averages, how will you manage to dispute it now?

According to my reputable link, SD temps are around 60 now. You couldn't pay me to go in that water, what are you on to think that is nice swimming temp, combined with cooler air temps?? Get out of here. Useless.

60 is perfect right now, you can STILL go in easily and people are right now. Enjoy 31....frrzzz

I love the fact the west coast has cool water its what makes our weather perfect! Love it...

Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
60 is perfect right now, you can STILL go in easily and people are right now. Enjoy 31....frrzzz

I love the fact the west coast has cool water its what makes our weather perfect! Love it...
Of course you do. You're one of the biggest CA homers out there. You say anything.

You think you're annoying me with your snide little comments about our water in the winter... I'm not bothered at all. I know that you're trying to bait. If anything, it's pathetic how much of a homer you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City