Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I made my friend drive me from her home in Bridgewater all the way to Seaside Heights haha. I used to love Jersey Shore so I decided my first time on a beach in NJ had to be that one, and it was also my first time in the Atlantic even. That was 2 summers ago in August.

Yeah no sane person could argue that the Atlantic beaches are actually more beautiful. They're not. The West Coast has the far better scenery with the mountains and cliffs and all that. But for usability, the Atlantic beaches easily win. And as for a beach culture, I fell in love with all of the Jersey Shore. Every town we drove through was basically just as cute as the one before and the next one. If I ever become rich and live in NYC (highly unlikely), I would definitely have a summer house on the shore. They definitely reminded me of the South Bay in LA a little, but more resort feeling. It felt like a real vacation destination and I loved it.
Oh God Seaside Heights isn't even that nice of an area! I'm glad you liked it but we have such nicer beach towns. I'm glad you saw other towns on the way that you liked.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh God Seaside Heights isn't even that nice of an area! I'm glad you liked it but we have such nicer beach towns. I'm glad you saw other towns on the way that you liked.
Oh it was definitely dirty haha. I just had to see it if I was going to be so close! I really liked the homes in Bay Head and Point Pleasant though. I'm sure they're way out of the normal person's price range and haven't even bothered to see how expensive they are lol

Old 01-24-2016, 04:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh it was definitely dirty haha. I just had to see it if I was going to be so close! I really liked the homes in Bay Head and Point Pleasant though. I'm sure they're way out of the normal person's price range and haven't even bothered to see how expensive they are lol
Jersey property taxes are out of control to, highest rate in the nation.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
60 is perfect right now, you can STILL go in easily and people are right now. Enjoy 31....frrzzz

I love the fact the west coast has cool water its what makes our weather perfect! Love it...
Perfect for what? Nobody is swimming in that without a wetsuit.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
60 is perfect right now, you can STILL go in easily and people are right now. Enjoy 31....frrzzz

I love the fact the west coast has cool water its what makes our weather perfect! Love it...
Wait totally missed this post haha. Yeah it's very very rare to see people going in the ocean when it's 60 out. I used to go surfing a lot and everyone puts on a wetsuit in the winter months. Down at El Porto beach, everyone is in the parking lot putting a wetsuit on before they go in. Often there are still people wearing wetsuits in summer too if they plan on staying in the water a long time.

The Mediterranean Sea, where we get the name Mediterranean Climate, gets warmer than SoCal beaches.
Barcelona: 77 in August
Barcelona Sea Temperature January Average, Spain Water Temperatures
Malaga: 74
Málaga Sea Temperature January Average, Spain Water Temperatures
Ibiza: 79
Ibiza Sea Temperature January Average, Spain Water Temperatures
Alicante: 79
Alicante Sea Temperature January Average, Spain Water Temperatures
Rimini 78
Rimini Sea Temperature January Average, Italy Water Temperatures
Makarska 77
Makarska Sea Temperature January Average, Croatia Water Temperatures
Split 76
Split Sea Temperature January Average, Croatia Water Temperatures
Hvar 77
Hvar Sea Temperature January Average, Croatia Water Temperatures
Dubrovnik 78
Dubrovnik Sea Temperature January Average, Croatia Water Temperatures
Tel Aviv 83
Tel Aviv Sea Temperature January Average, Israel Water Temperatures
Haifa 83
Haifa Sea Temperature January Average, Israel Water Temperatures

Even down in Australia which is considered Mediterranean, Sydney averages 74 in its warmest month, but it's 78 now.
Sydney Sea Temperature January Average, Australia Water Temperatures
Near Perth 73
Mandurah Sea Temperature January Average, Australia Water Temperatures

Old 01-24-2016, 06:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
^^^^^not right now, its about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I agree yes, it makes our weather perfect. Even the Bay Area. Yes people go in here everyday without wet suits, sure its cold, but so what.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I agree yes, it makes our weather perfect. Even the Bay Area. Yes people go in here everyday without wet suits, sure its cold, but so what.
Agree with what? I never said anything about weather. Very people go in to 60 degree water without wetsuits, it's not perfect for anything related to swimmimg. It's bizarre you can't comprehend people don't like swimming in cold water. Yeah hypothermia...so what right?

Old 01-24-2016, 06:47 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Well I swim in 60 degree water and it feels pretty warm to me, even 50 degrees isn't to bad. I've even swam in 45 degree water. At first it feels freezing cold, but then your body adjusts and gets used to it. Just make sure you are not in the water for too long. Usually I can last in 50 degree water for up to an hour. Also cold water is very refreshing. Of course I prefer 70 degrees and above, but to say you can't swim in 60 degree water with out a wet suit is absolutely false.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I swim in 60 degree water and it feels pretty warm to me, even 50 degrees isn't to bad. I've even swam in 45 degree water. At first it feels freezing cold, but then your body adjusts and gets used to it. Just make sure you are not in the water for too long. Usually I can last in 50 degree water for up to an hour. Also cold water is very refreshing. Of course I prefer 70 degrees and above, but to say you can't swim in 60 degree water with out a wet suit is absolutely false.
Where did I say you can't swim in 60 degree water without a wetsuit? Yes there are a few hardy people that can handle those water temps but the vast majority of people can't. You definitely don't want to stay in too long because hypothermia will start to set in.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
Where did I say you can't swim in 60 degree water without a wetsuit? Yes there are a few hardy people that can handle those water temps but the vast majority of people can't. You definitely don't want to stay in too long because hypothermia will start to set in.
I agree with your main point. But "very few" people, just based on my own life experiences, seems a little overstated. I'm an avid fisherman who usually goes out surf fishing about once a week throughout the year. I have seen plenty of people in the water without wetsuits in 60-65 degree water. I personally prefer it be closer to 70, and I'm a pretty big wimp in the cold, but I've easily adjusted to 60 degree water within minutes.

Sure, if you slowly wade in, your not going to quickly adjust and might feel colder. But if you just bite the bullet and dive in you can feel warm very quickly. My parents used to take me to the beach in the non summer months all the time when I was much younger, and I remember there being plenty of people in the water then as well. I used to stay in the water for a couple hours without getting hypothermia. Granted, I'm not talking about January here, more like March/April, you know.

You're absolutely right, it's not "ideal", but to say that it's rare or dangerous or that hardly anyone does it is a severe overstatement, IMO and personal experience living within a mile of the ocean my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City