Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Look at these people about to die from hypothermia in SD this past summer:
//www.city-data.com/forum/40809621-post185.html

(the foreground is the surf zone which is why few people are in it)

Hopefully you can make out the people as they might be blurry since they are all running in and out of the ocean.
Hopefully, they get out of the water within 2 to 7 hours, or they could suffer moderate discomfort and eventually death.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Look at these people about to die from hypothermia in SD this past summer:
//www.city-data.com/forum/40809621-post185.html

(the foreground is the surf zone which is why few people are in it)

Hopefully you can make out the people as they might be blurry since they are all running in and out of the ocean.
I see a bunch of wet-suits. Also people in the water doesn't tell me how long they are in the water. Getting in and getting out doesn't count.

Why do resorts keep their pools at 84 degrees?

Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
I see a bunch of wet-suits. Also people in the water doesn't tell me how long they are in the water. Getting in and getting out doesn't count.

There are no wet suits in that picture.

84 degrees = old people

Old 01-25-2016, 12:29 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
I voted Pacific Coast.

Beach lifestyle is integral to SoCal cities with beach bonfires and surfing in a way that is difficult to come by on the east coast. Also, no tropical storms to worry about.

NorCal has pristine, rugged, rocky tidepool and marine mammal filled stretches of coast that are almost non-existent on the east coast except for the short summer in Maine. (nowhere as wild as Big Sur of Channel Islands NP) on the east coast.

East coast beaches like others mentioned are better for actually swimming as the water is warmer, and waves are tamed and broken before the get to the beach.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 PM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

84 degrees = old people
I see at least 3. And no, 84 degrees is everybody. That's what resorts want, comfortable pools. Not guests freezing their balls off, and giving bad reviews.

Do you know that 70 degrees is 14 degrees colder than the comfort zone resorts keep it at?

14 degrees.

14 degrees.

It's at this point not a conversation of preference, or comfort but of freezing.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM

317 posts, read 378,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

84 degrees = old people
84 degrees = old people? For water? LOL.

Can anybody spot the guy that can't tell the difference between air and water temperatures?

Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Let's put it this, only people who like cold, will stay in 70 degree water.

And no, the body doesn't adjust "within 5 minutes." You can claim it does if it makes you feel better, it doesn't.

You stay cold in 70 degree water. And within 1 hour or so most people will have dangerously reduced body temperature and onset of hypothermia. Within 2 hours you will begin to lose control of external limbs as your body begins to conserve heat. Within 4 hours, the average man will be dead.

So under 1 hour, you're body is struggling to be warm. That will manifest in discomfort.
Plenty of people are at the beach with water temperatures in the low 70s. It's not idea, but I've never heard of anyone having health issues. But generally people aren't in the water without a break at an ocean beach. Between waves, only half the body is in the water and the sun and air temperatures are warming the rest of you. And people might get out briefly.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:

Anyone who has swam at La Jolla Shores or pretty much any SD beach knows plenty of people are swimming or playing in the waves and not running in and out. I provided several threads that show plenty of people who find 70 degree water comfortable, so it appears you're the only lying or are ignorant of other people's preferences.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times
I'm gonna go with ignorant. He's rarely right about anything.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Which do you prefer? The Beaches on the continental US Pacific Coast or the Atlantic coast?

Pacific Coast

Pros: Better protected, gorgeous topography and backdrops, biodiversity, Temperate Weather

Cons: Colder Water, More Rocky Beaches

Atlantic Coast

Pros: Warmer Water, Very Tourist Friendly, More recreational activities

Cons: More likely to have extreme weather, Not as Aesthetically pleasing
I think to distill this even further, one can say

Pacific Coast for people who want a more natural, rugged and wild beach experience an any time of the year.
(biodiversity and gorgeous topography/backdrops/better protected)

Atlantic Coast for those who want a more comfortable beach experience once in a while. Beach towns cater to tourists, not as much "nature", warmer water to swim, and "once in a while" (between noreasters in the winter and tropical storms in the summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City