Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha there aren't THAT many summer tropical storms that stop you from going to the beach that makes it a "once in a while" experience.

I can't think of a hurricane/tropical storm that even made landfall in my region last year.
Honest question, do you need 84 degree water to be comfortable?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 PM

699 posts, read 610,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Honest question, do you need 84 degree water to be comfortable?
Yes, she does. Whether she is aware of the water temperatures she is truly comfortable in or not.

Quote:
Most hotels and resorts keep the temperature of their pools at a comfortable 82° to 85°F (27° to 29°C). This is warm enough for comfortable swimming and lounging. Same for most condominium units institutional and public pools.
What is The Ideal Temperature For a Commercial Swimming Pool? - AquaCal Blog

14 degrees colder is not comfortable.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Yes, she does. Whether she is aware of the water temperatures she is truly comfortable in or not.

Lets have her answer for herself.

The word that comes to mind if the ocean or a lake gets that warm is : NASTY, who knows what kind of bacteria are growing in there.

Last edited by slo1318; 01-25-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Quote:

But your hellish, muggy weather is.

Please.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:25 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Quote:
With all due respects, I don't believe you. Either you're making things up or just weren't aware of the water temperature.

No one enjoys leisurely things like snorkeling at such water temperatures. Remember, you're literally going to be dead within 4 hours.

I've seen people dive in 60 degree water, do something very quick, and get out. Their time in the water is very short.

I lived on a coast my entire life. I'm not the one from Canada, and now in Portland, flying to coasts. I live on them, I monitor water temperatures, and I know what's comfortable, what's not. What's dangerous, and what's not.

In 65 degree water, your body will become numb within 5 minutes.
This is complete BS. 60 degree water, like we were discussing earlier is one thing but your obviously only experienced with SoFla waters if you can't believe what he's saying. Guess what? It's true. 65-70 degree water is pretty common in SoCal much of the year, when there are scores of people without wetsuits.

This thread has turned from "CA isn't as comfortable as the east coast for water temps" to "OMG you will absolutely die in any ocean temp conditions in CA, no one goes in the water and none of the beaches are enjoyable because of this".

Gimme a break.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,656 times
Quote:

From your own link, sports governing bodies actually recommend a lower temp than that for swimming competitions.

Quote:
Olympic swimming, the Red Cross and FINA (The international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water diving), have set the water temperature for competitive swimming between 77° to 82° F (25°-28°C), and 81°F (27°C) for synchronized swimming.
In fact 78 or 79 degrees is considered the optimal temperature for fitness events in the water including Olympic water polo by governing bodies. Actually swimming laps above 82 degrees is considered too hot by some.

Temperature Requirements for a Competitive Swimming Pool | LIVESTRONG.COM

Point being, there's not a one size fits all optimal temperature. We all know 70 degrees is colder than 80 degrees and not ideal for everyone, it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable if you're used to it and it's warm out. An 84 or 85 degree pool is definitely pleasant for relaxing in, above that though can actually be too hot for some activities(and has more risk of bacteria).

Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Lol.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Lets have her answer for herself.

The word that comes to mind if the ocean or a lake gets that warm is : NASTY, who knows what kind of bacteria are growing in there.
Ahah, so why do resorts, condos, HOAs, and public pools spend lots of money to heat their pools to 84 degrees?

So so so so wrong you are

Old 01-25-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

In fact 78 or 79 degrees is considered the optimal temperature for fitness events in the water including Olympic water polo by governing bodies.
Yeah, maybe if you're an olympic swimmer pushing his body to the max, 78 F is considered ideal. You just proved my point me how ungodly uncomfortable 70 degree water is.

That at the most peak, strenuous of all physical competitions you can do in the water - olympic swimming, and it's still 8 degrees colder than that.

Now imagine anyone going for a leisurely swim, wading, or snorkeling like you claim you did in 70 degree water.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Ahah, so why do resorts, condos, HOAs, and public pools spend lots of money to heat their pools to 84 degrees?

So so so so wrong you are

They dont, nobody does that, except in Maine or Siberia. Why would they? Isnt Miami water warm enough?

WHY do people hate the climate in Miami??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City