Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
as a kid would spend hours a day in the ocean honestly, when its warmer and even hotter outside its not that uncommon

and I mostly rode waves or body surfed, still do actually when I can

I think the activities are viewed differently and the water temps are the biggest difference of the water itself (plus larger waves on the WC no doubt)

that said both have similar activities that can be done
Kids handle colder water better than adults imo, I know I could. And I doubt you were fully submersed from the neck area down. Most kids play close to shore.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM

699 posts, read 610,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're basically making up when people feel uncomfortable based on a chart about hypothermia that talks about being in the water for hours which no one actually does. LOTS of people spend more than 5 minutes in 70 degree water, you're body adjusts within 5 minutes or less. I've done it as all the hundreds of other people swimming around me have.
Let's put it this, only people who like cold, will stay in 70 degree water.

And no, the body doesn't adjust "within 5 minutes." You can claim it does if it makes you feel better, it doesn't.

You stay cold in 70 degree water. And within 1 hour or so most people will have dangerously reduced body temperature and onset of hypothermia. Within 2 hours you will begin to lose control of external limbs as your body begins to conserve heat. Within 4 hours, the average man will be dead.

So under 1 hour, you're body is struggling to be warm. That will manifest in discomfort.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Let's put it this, only people who like cold, will stay in 70 degree water.

And no, the body doesn't adjust "within 5 minutes." You can claim it does if it makes you feel better, it doesn't.

You stay cold in 70 degree water. And within 1 hour or so most people will have dangerously reduced body temperature and onset of hypothermia. Within 2 hours you will begin to lose control of external limbs as your body begins to conserve heat. Within 4 hours, the average man will be dead.

So under 1 hour, you're body is struggling to be warm. That will manifest in discomfort.
No a lot of people don't actually, I guess you never did actually live in Southern CA, spend much time at the beach, or talk to anyone if you think that.

Also you keep saying you will be dead in 4 hours but your link says exhaustion or unconsciousness in 2-7 hours. Your chart doesn't even make sense.

Read it again: SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX

Feel free to search the San Diego forum for posts from all the people that find 70 degree water comfortable.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No a lot of people don't actually, I guess you never did actually live in Southern CA, spend much time at the beach, or talk to anyone if you think that.
Or your lying, which is actually the truth

Quote:
Also you keep saying you will be dead in 4 hours but your link says exhaustion or unconsciousness in 2-7 hours. Your chart doesn't even make sense.
I know you're having a slow day today. So I'll help you:

Go look under the table called "Expected Time of Survival".

For 60-70 degree range it's given at 2-4 hours. So I'm taking the upper end of the range (4 hours) since we're talking about 70 degrees which is at the upper end of the range for 60-70.

Now, look at the range 70-80 degrees, your survival time is given at 3 hours - indefinite. Here 70 degrees is at the bottom of the range, so we take 3 hours.

In other words, 70 degree expected survival time is roughly 3-4 hours.

Nowhere, and no one, considers 70 degrees comfortable. I can guarantee you that. Resorts keep their pools at 84 degrees for a reason, that's comfortable. 70 is a far departure from it.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
With all due respects, I don't believe you. Either you're making things up or just weren't aware of the water temperature.

No one enjoys leisurely things like snorkeling at such water temperatures. Remember, you're literally going to be dead within 4 hours.

I've seen people dive in 60 degree water, do something very quick, and get out. Their time in the water is very short.

I lived on a coast my entire life. I'm not the one from Canada, and now in Portland, flying to coasts. I live on them, I monitor water temperatures, and I know what's comfortable, what's not. What's dangerous, and what's not.

In 65 degree water, your body will become numb within 5 minutes.
\

You're insane. And wrong. I see people do this all year round even in 60 degree water. I have firefighter buddies who free dive for lobsters here without wetsuits. You can go down to Pismo Beach here any weekend of the year and people will be in the water body surfing even in 60 degree water.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
\

You're insane. And wrong. I see people do this all year round even in 60 degree water. I have firefighter buddies who free dive for lobsters here without wetsuits. You can go down to Pismo Beach here any weekend of the year and people will be in the water body surfing even in 60 degree water.
Haha I lived on a beach in San Diego, there were years I saw no one swimming even in the summer. Dive in and run back out to their towel? Sure, but swimming no

Old 01-25-2016, 11:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Haha I lived on a beach in San Diego, there were years I saw no one swimming even in the summer. Dive in and run back out to their towel? Sure, but swimming no
I know that isnt true, and pretty sure you're making it up...

You cant go to a beach in SoCal in summer and not be inundated with people.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:40 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
\

They'll be dead in hours! All of them, the horror!

Old 01-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Or your lying, which is actually the truth

I know you're having a slow day today. So I'll help you:

Go look under the table called "Expected Time of Survival".

For 60-70 degree range it's given at 2-4 hours. So I'm taking the upper end of the range (4 hours) since we're talking about 70 degrees which is at the upper end of the range for 60-70.

Now, look at the range 70-80 degrees, your survival time is given at 3 hours - indefinite. Here 70 degrees is at the bottom of the range, so we take 3 hours.

In other words, 70 degree expected survival time is roughly 3-4 hours.

Nowhere, and no one, considers 70 degrees comfortable. I can guarantee you that. Resorts keep their pools at 84 degrees for a reason, that's comfortable. 70 is a far departure from it.
Your link also says "exhaustion or unconsciousness" in 2-7 hours. So do you die first then become "exhausted"?

Yeah I guess all these people are lying too:
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...arm-sunny.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...mperature.html

As well as this chart: SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX

Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Look at these people about to die from hypothermia in SD this past summer:
//www.city-data.com/forum/40809621-post185.html

(the foreground is the surf zone which is why few people are in it)

Hopefully you can make out the people as they might be blurry since they are all running in and out of the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City