Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
If your expected survival time is 4 hours in 70 degree water, then no one will remain in 70 degree water for very long without a wetsuit.

If your preference is being "cold" then that's fine. But let's not mince it, 70 degrees is cold, not comfortable.
Who really spends more than 30-60 minutes in the water at any temp? You'll be a prune when you get out. Except for people surfing and bodyboarding who aren't even fully submersed anyways.

70 isn't "cold" to a lot of people as your body adjusts in a few minutes. Your link says nothing about what people find comfortable.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:06 AM

699 posts, read 610,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Who really spends more than 30-60 minutes in the water at any temp?
If your expected survival time is 4 hours, you will become severely uncomfortable far before that. Vast majority won't spend more than 5 minutes in 70 degree water without a wetsuit.

Quote:
70 isn't "cold" to a lot of people as your body adjusts in a few minutes. Your link says nothing about what people find comfortable.
Your body never adjusts, it's dying. Within 4 hours, most people will be dead. How is that adjustment? And use your brain: if the water is killing you, you think the human body will find that comfortable? What a suicidal human body.

You either are not familiar with what water temperatures you find comfortable because that's something you don't track or have experience with (I have seen SST in San Diego at 77 F at certain beaches in August, maybe your confusing that for 70 degrees).

But 70 degrees is COLD.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Btw, the recommended temperature for a recreational pool is 84 degrees.

Quote:
Most hotels and resorts keep the temperature of their pools at a comfortable 82° to 85°F (27° to 29°C). This is warm enough for comfortable swimming and lounging. Same for most condominium units institutional and public pools.
http://www.aquacal.com/blog/post/183...Swimming-Pool-

Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Who really spends more than 30-60 minutes in the water at any temp? You'll be a prune when you get out. Except for people surfing and bodyboarding who aren't even fully submersed anyways.

as a kid would spend hours a day in the ocean honestly, when its warmer and even hotter outside its not that uncommon

and I mostly rode waves or body surfed, still do actually when I can

I think the activities are viewed differently and the water temps are the biggest difference of the water itself (plus larger waves on the WC no doubt)

that said both have similar activities that can be done

Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
Depends on the surface air temperature, personal preference, and what activity you're doing in the water. People swin in 70 degree water for triathlons without wetsuits and they're fine. I've snorkeled without a wetsuit or body-surfed in 70 degree water or even a little cooler and if it's 80 degrees out, it's not a big deal. You're not going to be in the water non-stop for three hours though, you take breaks. Even when I'm in 85 degree water though, I can't think of many times I've been in the water without getting out for over three hours, you get in and out doing stuff, you don't just sit there like a log for several hours.

I actually love jumping in cold water and going for a swim when it's really hot out, but more so I've done that in mountain streams and lakes--it's exhilarating though. But you're not just sitting there for hours like you're in a hot-tub or something.

Some people even go swimming at the beach in summer in Vancouver BC, water temps don't even get to 65.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 01-25-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Depends on the surface air temperature, personal preference, and what activity you're doing in the water. People swin in 70 degree water for triathlons without wetsuits and they're fine. I've snorkeled without a wetsuit or body-surfed in 70 degree water or even a little cooler
Give me the location and time of the year where you were snorkeling in this 70 degree water.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Give me the location and time of the year where you were snorkeling in this 70 degree water.
I've gone snorkeling at La Jolla Cove north of San Diego and the water was probably somewhere around 70--this was in May and I've snorkeled at Catalina Island in similar conditions--and there were a ton of snorkelers at both locations as well. I've also snorkeled in mountain pools to look at trout and the water was in the 60s(though air temps were probably 90).

Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 AM

With all due respects, I don't believe you. Either you're making things up or just weren't aware of the water temperature.

No one enjoys leisurely things like snorkeling at such water temperatures. Remember, you're literally going to be dead within 4 hours.

I've seen people dive in 60 degree water, do something very quick, and get out. Their time in the water is very short.

I lived on a coast my entire life. I'm not the one from Canada, and now in Portland, flying to coasts. I live on them, I monitor water temperatures, and I know what's comfortable, what's not. What's dangerous, and what's not.

In 65 degree water, your body will become numb within 5 minutes.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
With all due respects, I don't believe you. Either you're making things up or just weren't aware of the water temperature.

No one enjoys leisurely things like snorkeling at such water temperatures. Remember, you're literally going to be dead within 4 hours.
So you don't believe people snorkel at those locations in 70 degree water--and some don't wear a wetsuit? Okay, go look it up yourself.

Even in super-warm tropical water, I can't think of times I've snorkeled more than an hour or so continuously. You take breaks usually. With cooler water you just take more breaks. Body-surfing and surfing also, you're not submerged in the water for four hours. More of a concern in you're diving and thus that would require a wetsuit in cooler water. Hypothermia in 70 degree water is something that happens to people whose boat capsized and they're sitting there in their life vests waiting to be rescued for hours and hours. It's not what happens when you're going for a snorkel around a cove for twenty minutes with warm surface air.

Quote:
I've seen people dive in 60 degree water, do something very quick, and get out. Their time in the water is very short.
Yes, that's what you do. At 65 degrees it's a little better and at 70 degrees it's a little better and you can stay in a little longer. So what? I'm not claiming it's tropical water temps.

Quote:
I lived on a coast my entire life. I'm not the one from Canada, and now in Portland, flying to coasts. I live on them, I monitor water temperatures, and I know what's comfortable, what's not. What's dangerous, and what's not.

In 65 degree water, your body will become numb within 5 minutes.
You do know that even if the water is cold, Vancouver BC is actually on the coast? I've lived on the coast or near it most of my life(Vancouver and Boston, and Portland is only an hour from the coast), so I know plenty about what very cold water feels like. I'm not claiming that water below 75 degrees is ideal for most people to go swimming or snorkeling, I'm saying though that the idea that you're going to spend four hours in the water and be dead is silly. I love warm water beaches and the tropics too, but I can still have a fun time at the Pacific Coast, and yes I've gone for dips in 70 degree water whether in New England or lakes in the Northwest or Southern California or so on.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 01-25-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
If your expected survival time is 4 hours, you will become severely uncomfortable far before that. Vast majority won't spend more than 5 minutes in 70 degree water without a wetsuit.
You're basically making up when people feel uncomfortable based on a chart about hypothermia that talks about being in the water for hours which no one actually does. LOTS of people spend more than 5 minutes in 70 degree water, you're body adjusts within 5 minutes or less. I've done it as all the hundreds of other people swimming around me have.
Quote:
Your body never adjusts, it's dying. Within 4 hours, most people will be dead. How is that adjustment? And use your brain: if the water is killing you, you think the human body will find that comfortable? What a suicidal human body.
I still don't know why you keep talking about spending hours in the water when no one does that. You're the only one who thinks your body can't adjust to 70 degree water for leisurely swimming.
Quote:
You either are not familiar with what water temperatures you find comfortable because that's something you don't track or have experience with (I have seen SST in San Diego at 77 F at certain beaches in August, maybe your confusing that for 70 degrees).
But 70 degrees is COLD.
Actually I'm very familiar with water temperatures and would look at them everyday during the summer and also check the readings on the lifeguard tower. I know exactly what temp water I was swimming in and the water would be packed at 70 degrees and people would be staying in far longer than 5 minutes

Feel free to provide something that actually backs up your claim to what people find comfortable, you know something along the likes of this:
SWIMMING AND WATER TEMPERATURE INDEX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City