Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleveland vs. New Orleans
Cleveland 45 32.61%
New Orleans 93 67.39%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It seems to me that you troll every thread that involves Cleveland.

"Beats the snot out of Cleveland in every regard?"

Really? New Orleans has no world class art museum, no world class orchestra, no MLB team, and has comparatively second-rate architecture.

Oh, yeah, it's totally dependent on federal largesse to keep from drowning.

Now, you can bash Cleveland some more and tell us once again how this doesn't matter, at least to the likes of you.
I am NOT bashing CLE! Seriously, Relax. I really like CLE. Put it up against Tampa, Orlando Phoenix, heck, even Dallas, Vegas, KC, you name it, I pick CLE.

But not here. You are not being honest with yourself. Have you honestly spent time in New Orleans? Outside the quarter? You really are kidding yourself if you think Cleveland has even a fraction of the urban vitality and pedestrian activity. It is not even close. Thats why New Orleans is rightfully trouncing CLE in this poll.

Honestly, I know you love CLE, but if you travel and live more places, you will see what I mean.

The hailing a cab thing IS important. Not because I am older, but that is still the mark of a large urban city.

And for the love of god, CLE museums are NOT world class. They are nicer and bigger, but not even close it world class. Seriously! Go to London, Paris, New York, Chicago, etc. There you will find world class. Not in Cleveland. And that is why Cleveland sees no more tourists than any other midsize midwest city and NEVER will. Sorry. Its not bashing CLE but reality. Everyone I have every met from CLE can admit this but three people on city-data perpetuating myths that cleveland has "world class" attractions. No one is buying it.

I have been to the CMA several times, and while I think it is easily a top 20, maybe top 10 art museum in the USA, it is a nice legacy but by no means "world class." But if that is your sticking point, so be it. I will stick with the city with more urbanity, more pedestrians, more tourism, more soul, and more life. So will 71% of the pollsters here. This doesn't mean we "bash" CLE. Just keeping it real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
As I said: twice, both times for a week and without a car.
The vast majority of tourists do not have a car when they visit and they find it perfectly fine to navigate and keep coming back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The notion of hailing a cab from the street is so 1997. This is something that only people over 40 do. So no, Cleveland isn't good for that. It's also something that is pretty trivial and only for the technologically challenged. Cabs will be gone soon and in 10 years, nobody will even know what you mean by "hailing."
Not at all. Tourists hail cabs daily in New Orleans.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The vast majority of tourists do not have a car when they visit and they find it perfectly fine to navigate and keep coming back.

As anyone who has spent lots of time in New Orleans would know

downtown, uptown, marigny, bywater, heck, I think I have hailed cabs even from the fairgrounds. Granted this was usually for Jazz Fest

Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
As anyone who has spent lots of time in New Orleans would know

downtown, uptown, marigny, bywater, heck, I think I have hailed cabs even from the fairgrounds. Granted this was usually for Jazz Fest
When people list the most urban cities in America, New Orleans is always on the list with Philly, Chicago, and San Francisco. Cleveland not so much.

It was much larger than Cleveland before the Industrial Revolution and I'd imagine it shows.

But yeah Downtown and Uptown are hot spots for cabs. They dot the downtown streets like it's NYC.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
And for the love of god, CLE museums are NOT world class. They are nicer and bigger, but not even close it world class. Seriously! Go to London, Paris, New York, Chicago, etc. There you will find world class. Not in Cleveland. And that is why Cleveland sees no more tourists than any other midsize midwest city and NEVER will. Sorry. Its not bashing CLE but reality. Everyone I have every met from CLE can admit this but three people on city-data perpetuating myths that cleveland has "world class" attractions. No one is buying it.

I have been to the CMA several times, and while I think it is easily a top 20, maybe top 10 art museum in the USA, it is a nice legacy but by no means "world class." But if that is your sticking point, so be it. I will stick with the city with more urbanity, more pedestrians, more tourism, more soul, and more life. So will 71% of the pollsters here. This doesn't mean we "bash" CLE. Just keeping it real.
Are you an art historian? If not, you really aren't qualified to speak about the importance of the CMA, which is universally recognized by art historians as world class, with extremely important works, and its world renowned Asian collection. Over half a million visitors go there per year, it just completed a $350 million renovation (largest cultural project in Ohio history), and has one of the highest museum endowments in the US.

By the way, the Rock Hall is also world class and attracts over half a million visitors per year. Don't forget about the world class Cleveland Orchestra either.

New Orleans outside of the French Quarter is not any more urban than Cleveland. Downtown Cleveland is much better more vibrant and clean than the CBD, and City Park isn't as nice as University Circle. Their transit system is also inferior; it has uncomfortable wooden seats, and seemed not to be commuter oriented, but rather more for tourists.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:44 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's true. Y'all know I'm the Urban Area Guy.

Chicago, IL-IN 3524 ppsm
Detroit, MI 2792.5
Minn-St Paul, MN-WI 2594.3
St. Louis, MO-IL 2328.5
Cleveland, OH 2306.7
Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN 2062.6
Kansas City, MO-KS 2241.6
Indianapolis, IN 2107.7
Milwaukee, WI 2522.8
Columbus, OH 2680
Louisville, KY 2040
New Orleans, LA 3578.9

Surprisingly enough, Lexington, KY is the second densest metro area in the Midwest at 3315.9 ppsm
Good find.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:

In Boston too. Many fewer now though. Because most of us have joined the 21st century and use apps. Saves time and money. Bike tenting has become more popular. I used to work in tourism in Boston. The only people that asked me about cabs were my parents age. Not a knock on the 60 and over crowd, but cabs will cease to matter at all very soon.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Peter I'm sorry, but you really don't know much about art.

My art history PhD friends in Moscow routinely asked me to go to the Cleveland museum of art and find some works or see if I could look something up in their library. That's Moscow, Russia. I'd go into the details and rich history of Russian art, but I believe virtually all the names and institutions would be meaningless.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
When people list the most urban cities in America, New Orleans is always on the list with Philly, Chicago, and San Francisco. Cleveland not so much.
So what's your point? ... that N.O. is more popular with tourists than Cleveland? OMG, newsflash!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Let's be honest. Cleveland is a great city, but not in the same league as New Orleans. Far more tourists visit New Orleans, New Orleans is much more unique than Cleveland in culture, cuisine, architecture, etc. New Orleans wins this one hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City