Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most fast paced?
Chicago 153 55.84%
Philadelphia 121 44.16%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times

Advertisements

I have been to Chicago and Philadelphia, and I really don't think that the pace of life is any faster than in our largest city, NY, NY.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 15,529 times
Default Philly

See, I live in PHilly and have traveled to Chicago. I thought about moving to Chicago and is still considering. Yes, Chicago is bigger and widespread which is why I like it. However, in terms of fast paced, Philly is more quick. People in Philly are more in tuned with things and think quicker. Chicago is nice, but to me, Chicago has that midwestern charm as many people often come off southern to me. Nevertheless, I love Chicago

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,883 times
Default I have lived in both cities for the past years

I lived in Philadelphia from early 2005- early2007 and I am currently living in Chicago.

Everything in Philadelphia is small, compact, and rushed. The sidewalks are narrow, the streets are one way, and the food karts are crowded. Rats and homeless people seem to be more prevalent too, packed into the cities narrow alleyways like sardines in a can. While walking in Philadelphia I get the feeling I am a ruthless competitor trying to get to my location before anyone else on the sidewalk. Philadelphia fans are die hard. It seems that when Eagles lose on Sunday the city is negative and angry all week. I used to feel that if I fell over and died in Philadelphia no one would even notice. Philadelphia is a city that keeps you on your feet, and there is always something to complain about.

Chicago in it's self is it's own beast. There are neighborhoods that are bad, but unlike Philadelphia they are more spread out. Chicago boarders Lake Michigan which is like a baby ocean which tossing winds from it's shores, which creates a new definition of cold.Storms in Chicago also seem much more intense. However for the people they seem to be less intense. People seem to take their time, and when the bears lose a game there isn't a whole line of people ready to hang themselves from a rope. The transportation in Chicago is amazing. The trains can take you almost anywhere in and around city. Most of the major transportation centers are located in the same area downtown. There are also two airports in Chicago, which makes it a transportation hub. I do however harder to walk on foot or ride a bike for long distances in Chicago, because the city is so much bigger. The city blocks are also much bigger. Three Philadelphia blocks seem to make up one Chicago block. There also seems to be a more spread out homeless population. Chicago to me seems to be a bigger and better city.

Even though Chicago is bigger, I feel that Philadelphia is more fast paced. Everyone wants things done NOW, and in Chicago people want things done RIGHT. Also, when driving in a traffic jam or riding a relaxing train into work, I feel that it isn't a fast paced way to travel in the city. Philadelphia was small, and walkable, and had many intersections which usually caused conflict. The public transportation in my opinion lacked something. So with this told, I believe Philadelphia is more fast passed because of the aggressive nature of the city.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
i picked Chicago only because it's bigger and people say that its 2nd to new york. i've acually never been. but if its compared w/ny its gotta be fast paced. but like someone said earlier, the Bos>Wash corrider is relatively compact (compared to the rest of the country) and forces people to think, move, act quickly.

tcoop is right about Philly that the sidewalks & and streets are narrow, forcing people and cars to cut others off. some parts are faster than others though. like south street, the pedestrian traffic can be crazy or slow depending on the day & the cars usually move slowly (probably looking for parking). but this just adds to the overall frustration. this city desp needs to widen the streets and sidewalks . no clue how they're gonna accomplish that. its already cramped as it is. its an OLD city (no pun intended).

Last edited by john_starks; 12-09-2007 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,015 times
I've been to Philadelphia and Live in Chicago.... For me without a doubt, Chicago is more fast-paced than Philly. The bustle of rush hour in Chicago is definately comparable to NYC, a crowds haunting the sidewalks trying to get to their trains and busses. Michigan avenue fills up on weekends for a mile stretch full of pedestrians. I don't think Philly has anything that compares to that...

Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 20,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
Chicago is much more fast paced I lived there. It is much more spread out. Philly is much more compact. I could drive across town under 1/2 hour. Chicago could be hours. The pace of life in Philly is much more relaxed. I
spent alot of time there. If someone told me I had to live there I could do it.
I have lived in both cities and Philly is a faster paced city. It has everything to do with the mentality of the inhabitants. Catching a bus in Chicago if the bus is ahead of schedule it stops and waits to match the schedule (74 Fullerton bus to name one). That would never happen in Philly . My wife freaks out every time that happened when we lived out in Chicago. Midwesterners are more laid back less high strung and it translates to the vibe of the city.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Well it seems by what people are posting that the meaning of "fast paced" is open to interpretation. Chicago definitely has more traffic, a busier downtown, and feels more immense. If that is the definition of fast paced then Chicago it is. That being said, people in Philly are more aggressive and I feel there is more of a chaotic experience on the neighborhood streets than what you find in Chicago. This might be because the layout of Philly makes it feel more compact and edgy in contrast to Chicago's more spread out design.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:08 PM

315 posts, read 666,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I've been to Philadelphia and Live in Chicago.... For me without a doubt, Chicago is more fast-paced than Philly. The bustle of rush hour in Chicago is definately comparable to NYC, a crowds haunting the sidewalks trying to get to their trains and busses. Michigan avenue fills up on weekends for a mile stretch full of pedestrians. I don't think Philly has anything that compares to that...
Ok..I like Chicago a lot and it's a big city but I wouldn't go THAT far. Midtown/Downtown Manhattan rush hour is quite a few notches more chaotic than Chicago's.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-13-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM

318 posts, read 320,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Ok..I like Chicago a lot and it's a big city but I wouldn't go THAT far. Midtown/Downtown Manhattan rush hour is quite a few notches more chaotic than Chicago's.
That's aboslutely thru, you have to see both to understand. Also, the hustle and bustle in Chicago dies quickly after business hours.

As far as Philly and Chicago Philly is concerned, Philly is DEFINETELY more fast paced than Chicago, everything has to do be done now as opposed to Chicago where people take their time to do anything. Sometimes store clerks in Chicago make me want to hit them with something just to make them move faster. Also, Chicagoans talk much slower than folks in Philly, nobody beats East Coast in this respect, which is not always a good thing

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-13-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well it seems by what people are posting that the meaning of "fast paced" is open to interpretation. Chicago definitely has more traffic, a busier downtown, and feels more immense. If that is the definition of fast paced then Chicago it is. That being said, people in Philly are more aggressive and I feel there is more of a chaotic experience on the neighborhood streets than what you find in Chicago. This might be because the layout of Philly makes it feel more compact and edgy in contrast to Chicago's more spread out design.
That's what I look at when I want to notice a city's pace and for that reason, I would say Philadelphia has a faster pace than Chicago. Chicago, while fast paced itself, still has that Midwestern spirit about itself. It's laid back, pretty easy going at times, but can be mean and rough when it wants to. Philadelphia (like most East Coast cities) are mean and rough ALL the time. Much more in your face, much more aggressive, much more busy at times than Chicago. I lived in Chicago and have visited Philly so I'm going with an observation.

However, walking through the streets of Chicago, it feels like a much much larger city than Philadelphia but that's to be expected. However, it has no bearing on the pace of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.