Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: All around the most diverse, most global, most international, and most cosmopolitan Midwestern city
Cleveland 36 25.53%
Pittsburgh 18 12.77%
Saint Louis 34 24.11%
Milwaukee 7 4.96%
Cincinnati 7 4.96%
Indianapolis 8 5.67%
Columbus 9 6.38%
Kansas City 13 9.22%
Buffalo 0 0%
Rochester 0 0%
Grand Rapids 0 0%
Des Moines 0 0%
Omaha 4 2.84%
Madison 3 2.13%
Louisville 2 1.42%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The legacy of the cities is absolutely important, because cities that were more important in the pre-automobile era have more impressive urban infrastructure. They also have a legacy cultural institutions, better architecture and more interesting neighborhoods. It makes the cities better places to live. I have a job, the aame job I'd have just about any city, so your growth is meaningless to me. As all of these cities rebound from their Rust Belt decline, those legacy amenities will set them apart from cities that were unimportant and 50 years ago.
Possibly....but you fail to mention or understand that places are passing them in the last 20 years...and adding amenities that will be big time in the coming decades all while places like CLE and STL continue to stagnant, or at best hold steady.

To be honest, I am surprised at how low the immigrant population is in the city proper of Cleveland and ST Louis are ...and the fact that Cleveland is LOSING immigrants in its city proper? To me that is actually surprising and alarming all at once.

I still cannot disagree that as of today, CLE and STL are probably the most "international" outside the Midwest's big 3....but they are also not really international at all. None of these cities are. And to be honest, to someone in China or anywhere else, the only thing that any of these cities has that may make it stand out is LeBron James and the Cavs. He is well known in asia, etc.

But then again, so is KFC, and Louisville Sluggers. Many people do not even know the KY Derby is in Louisville. The STL arch has to be up there. I recall seeing a US postcard with it in Japan. Columbus? I am not sure it is well known abroad, but certainly in the states, it has attracted a great international presence, largely Asian. This is all OSU.
Milwaukee? Beer and Cheese? I mean seriously, think about how many cities WAY bigger than even St Louis you know nothing about? Guilin, China anyone? About the same size as Atlanta metro wise....
How about Indianapolis? It did host the super bowl most recently....that may mean more than a lot of stuff mentioned here...maybe a few have heard of the Indy 500?

I am with Red John...I have been to the "ethnic" villages....but why does the city proper have such low foreign born in Cleveland...and dropping RAPIDLY? I am aware of Little Italy, Slavic Village, etc. Let's see some numbers for 2014 or 2014 Foreign Born in Cuyahoga County and St Louis County...if they are the clear winners then why?

Why when Columbus has 100k foreign born...and when Louisville's foreign population has increased 42% and there is no slowing in it by all indications?
And when Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, et all has some impressive numbers? I honestly am not sure there is a clear winner and people are not looking at KC, Buffalo, Pitt or Louisville since they are concerned with geography, and that is not the OP's intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:41 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Possibly....but you fail to mention or understand that places are passing them in the last 20 years...and adding amenities that will be big time in the coming decades all while places like CLE and STL continue to stagnant, or at best hold steady.

To be honest, I am surprised at how low the immigrant population is in the city proper of Cleveland and ST Louis are ...and the fact that Cleveland is LOSING immigrants in its city proper? To me that is actually surprising and alarming all at once.

I still cannot disagree that as of today, CLE and STL are probably the most "international" outside the Midwest's big 3....but they are also not really international at all. None of these cities are. And to be honest, to someone in China or anywhere else, the only thing that any of these cities has that may make it stand out is LeBron James and the Cavs. He is well known in asia, etc.

But then again, so is KFC, and Louisville Sluggers. Many people do not even know the KY Derby is in Louisville. The STL arch has to be up there. I recall seeing a US postcard with it in Japan. Columbus? I am not sure it is well known abroad, but certainly in the states, it has attracted a great international presence, largely Asian. This is all OSU.
Milwaukee? Beer and Cheese? I mean seriously, think about how many cities WAY bigger than even St Louis you know nothing about? Guilin, China anyone? About the same size as Atlanta metro wise....
How about Indianapolis? It did host the super bowl most recently....that may mean more than a lot of stuff mentioned here...maybe a few have heard of the Indy 500?

I am with Red John...I have been to the "ethnic" villages....but why does the city proper have such low foreign born in Cleveland...and dropping RAPIDLY? I am aware of Little Italy, Slavic Village, etc. Let's see some numbers for 2014 or 2014 Foreign Born in Cuyahoga County and St Louis County...if they are the clear winners then why?

Why when Columbus has 100k foreign born...and when Louisville's foreign population has increased 42% and there is no slowing in it by all indications?
And when Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, et all has some impressive numbers? I honestly am not sure there is a clear winner and people are not looking at KC, Buffalo, Pitt or Louisville since they are concerned with geography, and that is not the OP's intent.
Clear winners are Cleveland and St. Louis with maybe an argument for Columbus or Pittsburgh. Easy enough to base it on global corporate headquarters, internationally known institutions of many kinds, and absolute number of immigrant population. Could also argue for international direct flights but it's doubtful that'll be fruitful. The distance among several cities to Cleveland and St. Louis isn't necessarily huge, but the OP wasn't really asking for "magnitude" nor what factors that would entail.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Clear winners are Cleveland and St. Louis with maybe an argument for Columbus or Pittsburgh. Easy enough to base it on global corporate headquarters, internationally known institutions of many kinds, and absolute number of immigrant population. Could also argue for international direct flights but it's doubtful that'll be fruitful. The distance among several cities to Cleveland and St. Louis isn't necessarily huge, but the OP wasn't really asking for "magnitude" nor what factors that would entail.
...but the facts are that the city proper of St Louis and Cleveland have very low numbers of international immigrants...Cleveland has dipped well below 20k and dropping fast in the city!

It looks like Cuyahoga County only has 86k Foreign born....this is less than the city of Columbus....

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...oga-county-oh/

Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Clear winners are Cleveland and St. Louis with maybe an argument for Columbus or Pittsburgh. Easy enough to base it on global corporate headquarters, internationally known institutions of many kinds, and absolute number of immigrant population...
You can't be serious. First, based solely upon the criteria of "global corporate headquarters," such a grandiose conclusion is outright laughable and second, based upon "internationally known institutions of many kinds," the conclusion is highly debatable. A major rethink is in order.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why percentage of foreign born population is an indication of a cosmopolitan city to you? There are towns with nothing but a Tyson chicken plant with huge foreign-born populations. Sometimes foreign-born populations are large because Catholic Charities or some other NGO relocates refugees there, and the city becomes a magnet for that group (see the large Somali and Hmong populations in Minneapolis.).

Having a high number of refugees, be they actual refugees or de facto economic refugees is not the measure of a cosmopolitan city. And as far as decreasing immigrant populations within city limits: you're looking at the future. As cities gentrify, immigrant enclaves I've been pushed out to the suburbs all over the country.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
...I still cannot disagree that as of today, CLE and STL are probably the most "international" outside the Midwest's big 3....but they are also not really international at all. None of these cities are...
In a perfect world, this would be an appropriate epitaph ending this debate; unfortunately, it's not a perfect world and this thread will most definitely continue umpteenth pages.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
People are just championing their own cities. None of these is a stand-out, or clear winner. Several of these cities shine in certain areas, and retreat in others. There is not one of these cities that wins in all categories...not a one. This thread will likely go on and on, because there are boosters for certain cities that won't give up. That's just the way it is.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Um, those are the numbers from the BEA. You even used the same correct overall 2014 GDP figure that I used, but you calculated the per capita figure wrong, either purposely or in error. So if you quarrel with my numbers then you quarrel with one of your own as well. And the Wikipedia article I cited shows the 2010 GDP figure in 2014 dollars, so that is correct as well.

Here's the actual PDF report straight from the BEA, so no roundabout-way links from me:

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0915.pdf

As you can see, the official 2014 metro GDP report has the exact same overall 2014 number that you, I and Wikipedia gave. And it has the exact same 2010 number that I and Wikipedia gave.

Again, you calculated wrong.

The per-capita figure I got directly from the link. I didn't calculate anything. Here is the link: http://bea.gov/itable/iTable.cfm?Req...-1&7093=levels
Go to the Gross Domestic Product for Metro Area link, select Real per capita GDP, select the Indy metro, select All Years.

No conspiracy involved. I didn't see per-capita on your link, though. Are you sure you have not miscalculated it?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
...but the facts are that the city proper of St Louis and Cleveland have very low numbers of international immigrants...Cleveland has dipped well below 20k and dropping fast in the city!

It looks like Cuyahoga County only has 86k Foreign born....this is less than the city of Columbus....

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...oga-county-oh/
Again, the city of Cleveland has seen an INCREASE of foreign-born residents, not a decline. Only its metro has seen a decline.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The per-capita figure I got directly from the link. I didn't calculate anything. Here is the link: http://bea.gov/itable/iTable.cfm?Req...-1&7093=levels
Go to the Gross Domestic Product for Metro Area link, select Real per capita GDP, select the Indy metro, select All Years.

No conspiracy involved. I didn't see per-capita on your link, though. Are you sure you have not miscalculated it?
Ah, okay, so that is chained 2009 dollars. My mistake, and excuse me. Please accept my apologies! I assure you I didn't calculate wrong, I just did so using the figures from the PDF I linked to, which are in 2014 dollars. They are both right, but using chained 2009 dollars accounts for inflation, so it gives a better historical perspective and is better for comparisons over the years. Using 2014 dollars obviously shows better the actual figure in today's monetary values by being what it was actually worth in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City