Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:48 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'd say West Virginia and Oklahoma are the most "hybrid" states. West Virginia has elements of the Northeast, Midwest and South, and Oklahoma has elements of the Midwest, South and West.
Oklahoma has some Western elements but many more Southern ones. There is nothing Midwestern about Oklahoma AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh boy, as far as my personal experience goes, New York, Ohio and West Virginia all make their mark as cross-road states.

NY state is essentially four entirely different states in itself. You have a very Midwest vibe on the Ontario plains with tons of rolling farmland and spats of hill country.

You have north country which has a lot in common with northern new England. It's very mountainous, very cold, and home to many ski resorts.

You have downstate which is home to NYC/Long Island and some of the Hudson valley. Highly urban, highly connected, very coastal.

Then you have the southern tier which is a transitional area from Appalachia to the typical northeast. It's in the Allegheny plateau, is arguably the warmest part of the state, generally rural and poorer than the rest of the state. Has a lot more in common with PA than most of the rest of NY.

Ohio, like NY, is like different states in one.

Southeast and south central Ohio are a transitional area from Appalachia to the Midwest. Also part of the Allegheny plateau and also generally rural and poorer than the rest of the state. Has a lot of influence from neighboring Kentucky.

The Cincinnati to Dayton area is like its own cluster of cultures. A varied mix of southern and northern can be found there. In general it is quite urban.

Central and northern Ohio are very Midwestern/Great Lakes. Rust belt, farmland, flat. The typical Ohio.

West Virginia is a little less torn between three or four areas, and mostly between two. However the distinction is very apparent.

Northern WV, some areas along the Ohio river and the eastern panhandle are much more like the interior north than the south (Particularly western PA, east Ohio and parts of upstate NY). The northern part of the state shares in the north's rust-belt which extends across the Midwest and into New York/New England.

Southern WV and most of interior WV is very southern, and the change is fairly abrupt when travelling north to south. It is the quintessential image of southern Appalachia and has a lot in common with western VA, eastern TN, and eastern KY.
There's nothing Southern about the Cincinnati and Dayton area. THat area is thoroughly Northern/Midwestern.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Oklahoma has some Western elements but many more Southern ones. There is nothing Midwestern about Oklahoma AT ALL.
I wouldn't say that for all of Oklahoma. Majority perhaps but not all. Since Oklahoma is a border state, it wouldn't surprise anyone to see some elements there. The Panhandle probably has as much in common with the Great Plains part of the Midwest than it does anywhere in the Southeast. Is there really that much of a difference between Boise City and Garden City? I mean sure it isn't like Ohio or Michigan or even Wisconsin. But hell, Wichita probably isn't either.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Washington State is extremely divided and it happens generally at the crest of the Cascade Mountain Range. Climatically and Politically.

I can't tell you how many times I have driven over Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascades where it goes from overcast to sunshine right at the crest. I also can't tell you how many times Republicans win in Eastern Washington. The State is indeed one of the most "hybrid" in the U.S. Oregon has a similar makeup, but much less population on their eastern half.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:56 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
There's nothing Southern about the Cincinnati and Dayton area. THat area is thoroughly Northern/Midwestern.
There are southern influences there and lots of southerners live there. Hence the mix of cultures I mentioned. I didn't say it was part of the south; I said southern culture exists there.

Stop reading out of my comments what you WANT me to be saying, and start paying attention to what I ACTUALLY say. Open your eyes and turn off your freakin bias-translator for once, eh?

God, how tiring.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There are southern influences there and lots of southerners live there. Hence the mix of cultures I mentioned. I didn't say it was part of the south; I said southern culture exists there.

Stop reading out of my comments what you WANT me to be saying, and start paying attention to what I ACTUALLY say. Open your eyes and turn off your freakin bias-translator for once, eh?

God, how tiring.
No there aren't any Southern influences. Have you ever been to the area? It is thoroughly Midwestern. Southern influences may exist in Cincinnati but they are minimal at best.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
Quote:
I would throw Missouri into the mix as well. Southern in the lower 1/4 of the state, a blend of Midwestern and Southern through the rest of the Southern half, and then Midwestern from a line from Kansas City through Jefferson City through St. Louis.
Agreed. Missouri is mostly Midwestern but has strong southern influences around the Bootheel and southern section of the state, as well as a minor Great Plains influence around Kansas City.

On top of MO, I'd say Colorado, Kentucky, and New York are some underrecognized states that fit the bill. Colorado marks the transition zone between the Rockies and Great Plains. Kentucky is a southern state with strong Midwestwrn influences. And New York is the crossroads between the east coast (NYC/East Coast Megalopolis) and the Great Lakes (Buffalo/Lake Erie). Pennsylvania and Texas were both mentioned in this thread quite a bit and I agree with those as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true. In one way that Oklahoma has elements of the Midwest is architecture. The Prairie School style, which originated and is most prevalent in the Midwest, is quite common in Oklahoma.

I definitely nominate Oklahoma as one of the most hybrid states, culturally and geographically.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
That's not entirely true. In one way that Oklahoma has elements of the Midwest is architecture. The Prairie School style, which originated and is most prevalent in the Midwest, is quite common in Oklahoma.

I definitely nominate Oklahoma as one of the most hybrid states, culturally and geographically.
Oklahoma is culturally, demographically, and linguistically Southern as well as politically.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
No there aren't any Southern influences. Have you ever been to the area? It is thoroughly Midwestern. Southern influences may exist in Cincinnati but they are minimal at best.
Have I ever been there... I've LIVED THERE! I may live there again soon! Let me tell you some facts, bucky, there are southern influences there, Kentucky is right across the river!

You are literally arguing a falsehood, you nauseatingly stubborn mule.

Kentucky influences southwest Ohio and southern Indiana just as much as they influence the northern stretch of Kentucky.

There are fair numbers of Kentucky, southern WV, and Tennessee transplants in the area.

Not only is it true, it is literally logical. There is no border restrictions between states, it's completely normal that neighbors affect each other.

Go into the KFC or Kroger in Middletown and tell me for true you never hear a southern accent pass through there right along side the northern ones.

Are you telling me that no southerner has ever moved to Ohio and two neighboring states have zero influence one-another? Is that what you are arguing, sir? Sounds like it to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City