Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 06:39 PM

307 posts, read 330,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post
Given Chicago is #2 in highrise cranes (Seattle #1(62), Chicago #2(56) with #3 city only 29)

Those crane numbers were discussed in another thread and they were found to be totally bogus. It's amazing that The New York Times and The Seattle Times published those numbers. As you can see from the image below, the numbers are crazy. It has Portland with more cranes than NYC. It has Phoenix with 5 cranes, yet Dallas, Houston, Miami and Atlanta have no cranes. NYC has the most cranes in the U.S., and has for years now. It's currently going through by far the largest building boom out of any city in all of U.S. history. Does anyone really believe the numbers below? How these kind of things get published in such prestigeous newspapers is beyond me.

Seattle is again crane capital of America, but lead is shrinking | The Seattle Times

The link below shows the 100 tallest buildings currently under construction in the U.S. right now. Make sure you click next page on the bottom right to go to the next page to see all 100.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/inde...t=Show+Results

The next link below shows the tallest 142 buildings currently planned for the U.S. right now. Click next page on the bottom right of the page to see all 142.

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/inde...t=Show+Results

Last edited by pinytr; 06-06-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Those crane numbers were discussed in another thread and they were found to be totally bogus. It's amazing that The New York Times and The Seattle Times published those numbers. As you can see from the image below, the numbers are crazy. It has Portland with more cranes than NYC. It has Phoenix with 5 cranes, yet Dallas, Houston, Miami and Atlanta have no cranes. NYC has the most cranes in the U.S., and has for years now. It's currently going through by far the largest building boom out of any city in all of U.S. history. Does anyone really believe the numbers below? How these kind of things get published in such prestigeous newspapers is beyond me.

Seattle is again crane capital of America, but lead is shrinking | The Seattle Times

The link below shows the 100 tallest buildings currently under construction in the U.S. right now. Make sure you click next page on the bottom right to go to the next page to see all 100.

The Skyscraper Center

The next link below shows the tallest 142 buildings currently planned for the U.S. right now. Click next page on the bottom right of the page to see all 142.

The Skyscraper Center
The list my be accurate for ----> cranes building APARTMENT OR RESIDENTIAL HIGH-RISES AND SKYCRAPERS?

Curbed Chicago claimed most 56 in march for Chicago more currently. But SPECIFIES ---> " the Second City can claim first place when it comes to the number of active tower cranes constructing new apartment buildings.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/3/24...r-construction

Here it post 52 RESIDENTIAL BUILDING TOWERS in April and last each one with pictures

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

So if it list them individually? Not sure why NYC is low in the others? But other cities seem pretty accurate?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Any map about cranes that is missing Miami loses me from the get go. Miami's core is going gangbusters.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Any map about cranes that is missing Miami loses me from the get go. Miami's core is going gangbusters.
Redfin released their new updated walkscores the other day, and while Philadelphia's did go up a little, Miami's jumped up and became the "4th most walkable" city.

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's bizarre that Miami isn't listed since it currently has 18 skyscrapers over 500 + feet under construction. It's #2 in that category in the US after NYC.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:42 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Walk score is proximity, not walking environment. That explains Miami's rating.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Walk score is proximity, not walking environment. That explains Miami's rating.

But wouldn't that explain every cities ranking? Or are you saying Miami was judged differently than all the other cities on the list? Maybe they included Miami Beach in the score? Maybe they factored in cold weather and rain compared to warm and sunny? I'm sure you get the point..

Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I'm saying Miami doesn't have the walkability the other top-ranked cities do, because its walking environment is lesser than theirs. Even the giant apartment towers typically have garage podiums. Philly, Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and plenty of others.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm saying Miami doesn't have the walkability the other top-ranked cities do, because its walking environment is lesser than theirs. Even the giant apartment towers typically have garage podiums. Philly, Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and plenty of others.

You're right, Miami city proper doesn't have as much walkability as the city propers you named. "Plenty of others" is definitely debatable though.

Heck, I even consider the beach extremely walkable, and millions and millions of others do too. It's "vibrancy" is also incredible almost all of the time, if you know what I mean and I think ya do.

Last edited by pinytr; 06-07-2017 at 01:14 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post

The Skyscraper Center

The Skyscraper Center

something seems awry in these numbers. Seattle no doubt has a lot and Chicago just got back has a ton, but NYC at ~25ish that seems way low, I would not be surprised if there were not over 100 cranes in Manhattan alone and maybe another 50 if you add other boroughs and JC etc.

Even Philly based on this map would have more than 25

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ane-watch.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City