Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalchou View Post
In terms of cityscape, New York City is most beautiful, the majority of skyscraper buildings are located in this one city, including the iconic Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, besides them, New York has countless buildings beyond 1000-feet tall (check out this list), while an ordinary city can hardly gets even one built... If the natural views is counted, then San Francisco is most beautiful...
But you can't separate the built from the natural anyway. New York's skyscrapers wouldn't count for much if you couldn't see them from across the East River on Long Island or from the bluffs above the Hudson River. Even approaching the city along the Henry Hudson parkway or from George Washington Bridge or from the harbor the vistas of city and water are what makes the skyline the skyline. San Francisco would be a beautiful hilly peninsula even if they'd built nothing on it but its so much more spectacular with the city and its bridges there in that landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 7,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
But you can't separate the built from the natural anyway. New York's skyscrapers wouldn't count for much if you couldn't see them from across the East River on Long Island or from the bluffs above the Hudson River. Even approaching the city along the Henry Hudson parkway or from George Washington Bridge or from the harbor the vistas of city and water are what makes the skyline the skyline. San Francisco would be a beautiful hilly peninsula even if they'd built nothing on it but its so much more spectacular with the city and its bridges there in that landscape.
Skyscraper is icon of a modern city, without it the city appears like a village, but I do like the bridges and natural views in San Francisco.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalchou View Post
In terms of cityscape, New York City is most beautiful, the majority of skyscraper buildings are located in this one city, including the iconic Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, besides them, New York has countless buildings beyond 1000-feet tall (check out this list), while an ordinary city can hardly gets even one built.
If the natural views is counted, then San Francisco is most beautiful, the views of the bay and mountains is very impressive. Seattle is very beautiful, too, it also has water views and mountains around it.
And Miami ranks 4th in my list of most beautiful American cities, I like the artificial islands on the sea. And Chicago 5th, for the views of the lake.
You can't count to 6?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 PM

178 posts, read 175,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You can't count to 6?
Lmao too funny!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:03 PM

80 posts, read 96,797 times
Ranked by architecture only, my top 10 most beautiful cities are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington D.C.
5. Atlanta
6. Minneapolis
7. Charlotte
8. Kansas City
9. Pittsburgh
10. Seattle

honorable mentions (Saint Louis, Detroit, Dallas)

Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
Ranked by architecture only, my top 10 most beautiful cities are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington D.C.
5. Atlanta
6. Minneapolis
7. Charlotte
8. Kansas City
9. Pittsburgh
10. Seattle

honorable mentions (Saint Louis, Detroit, Dallas)
What type of architecture?...because Atlanta & Charlotte just has post modern 1980 /1990's skyscrapers but outside of that what architecture do those cities have?
What neighborhoods do these cities have that stand out architecturally?

St. Louis & Detroit should be ranked above the two if we are discussing major cities I just mentioned.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:29 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You can't count to 6?

NYC actually has 9 1000ft towers and currently have 11 more under construction. NYC is building more 1000 ft skyscrapers currently than the rest of the country combined. The NYC skyline is far and away the largest and most dense in the USA. From a skyline standpoint it's down to NYC and Chicago. Although I think Chicago has less unattractive skyscrapers I prefer NYC for its mass and gems such as Chrysler. For natural beauty id go San Fran or Seattle. For neighborhoods I'd go Boston with back bay (although some may argue D.C./philly).

Old 10-14-2017, 06:54 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Of cities I have visited or lived in:

1. San Francisco - As so many have stated, the coupling of the beautiful natural and built environment is second to none in the USA. A picnic in Dolores Park, a walk across the Golden Gate bridge, a night out in The Castro or The Mission and a hike through Buena Vista will prove this true. There are many reasons I would personally never live in SF, but I believe it is easily the most beautiful city in the USA.

2. NYC - Okay I'm biased -- growing up in Upstate NY, NYC was my primary "big city" to visit. There is nothing like the magic of the views of the city by day or night. The views of the city driving in or riding the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan leave one in an overwhelming, urban awe. It is almost pure built environment beauty, but in this regard NYC is second to none.

3. Philadelphia - Again, biased. But Philly is so unique and historic that there is no equivalent. Street upon narrow street of charming rowhouses give Philly a quaint yet highly urban feel in South Philly. Some of my favorite views and topography are up in the Wissahickon and Manayunk neighborhoods of North Philly, which mesh urban and natural beauty. The Baltimore Ave area in West Philly has some gorgeous old mansions with big yards. I love the architecture, character and vibe of my city.

4. Pittsburgh, PA - Like San Fran, Pittsburgh has such a gorgeous mix of urban and natural beauty. The city's architecture is historic and charming, and the green rolling hills and waterfront make for a beautiful setting. If only it weren't so grey in Western PA!

5. DC - I love DC's architecture, "The Mall," green spaces, and spring cherry blossoms.

6. Boston, MA - Boston has a wonderful waterfront coupled with historic architecture.

7. Chicago, IL - Beautiful urbanity in the core. Lovely waterfront.

8. Miami Beach, FL - I so loved the warm blue waters and Art Deco in Miami Beach. Miami itself has a shockingly impressive skyline.

9. Seattle, WA - I personally wasn't a huge fan of the built environment, but the natural beauty here is as gorgeous as it is unique.

10. Albuqueruqe, NM - Highly underrated views from the foothills to the valley. Up in the foothills, you can see for miles upon miles. From the valley, you have quintessential adobe ranches with views of the distant mountains.

Honorable mention to Asheville, NC for its natural beauty, however I wasn't so sure it qualifies as a city in this context. I have never been to NOLA, but I bet it would hit the list.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 10-14-2017 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
NYC actually has 9 1000ft towers and currently have 11 more under construction. NYC is building more 1000 ft skyrscrapers currently than the rest of the country combined. The NYC skyline is far and away the largest and most dense in the USA. From a skyline standpoint it's down to NYC and Chicago. Although I think Chicago has less unattractive skyscrapers I prefer NYC for its mass and gems such as Chrysler. For natural beauty id go San Fran or Seattle. For neighborhoods I'd go Boston with back bay (although some may argue D.C./philly).
That's not correct. NYC has 7 completed 1000 footers plus one that's topped out but not completed yet (3 WTC).

If you are going off of the list in Wikipedia, then note that 53W53 is only about two thirds of the way up. I don't know why they included it.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:34 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What type of architecture?...because Atlanta & Charlotte just has post modern 1980 /1990's skyscrapers but outside of that what architecture do those cities have?
What neighborhoods do these cities have that stand out architecturally?

St. Louis & Detroit should be ranked above the two if we are discussing major cities I just mentioned.
I think its fine. Not everybody loves the art deco/gothic/colonial/revival whatever. Both cities do their CBDs well.

Outside of the CBD’s, both have some noteworthy neighborhoods with charm, especially Atlanta. I think he has an interesting top 10.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-15-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City