Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Seattle
Honolulu
San Francisco
Portland
San Diego
Salt Lake City
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Providence
NYC

....all of which pale to the most beautiful city in North America, though not the U.S.: Vancouver BC. The beauty of that place is god-tier. I couldn't include it in the list but had to mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Pittsburgh deserves a bit more love when it comes to this topic

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video..._13_orgnl&tt=b

Old 06-16-2016, 03:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Pittsburgh deserves a bit more love when it comes to this topic

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video..._13_orgnl&tt=b
Yes, agreed - and your video demonstrates why. However, city proper size limitations set by the OP eliminated both Pittsburgh and Cincinnati from consideration. Both cities possess MSA's larger than one-half the cities of 350k+.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 AM

549 posts, read 848,395 times
Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are the two most beautiful cities in the country. No question. Curves are sexy.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:39 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
We all love Chicago, but Boston, the islands and area Rocky and sandy coast offers substantially more than Carson Beach in Southie....

The Boston area is a high-impact coastline that, while outclassed by San Diego or San Francisco (as far as consistent, large surf), Boston compares favorably to LA area beaches such as Redondo, Venice, (Santa Monica), and Malibu if it lacks the weather... LA surfers go out of town often - as most beaches including Malibu will see overhead surf about 15-20 days/year. As for New England, thanks to high tech wetsuits and drysuits, guys (and gals) can surf 3-4 hours without a problem on even the coldest days....

Devereux just outside Boston Harbor. While it's only slightly overhead, it's FRIGGING BOSTON! these conditions will bring huge crowds at LA area beaches like Venice, El Porto, Malibu - or Huntington in Orange County.
The Harbor Islands are great. But they're not all that accessible. Chicago has an exceptional string of parks (including beaches that are much more attractive than Carson) running for miles along the lake that anyone in the city can get to fairly easily on foot or via transit. The Harbor Islands require a ferry to get to. I'd wager that the vast majority of people in Boston have never been. There are articles about the Islands all the time talking about how they're Boston's "hidden gem." I've only been once. Chicago's lake front is a bigger part of daily life in the city than Boston's Harbor Islands.

Surfing in New England isn't comparable to surfing in SoCal. I grew up surfing Little Compton and Westport, and sometimes Wellfleet. I still surf when I visit family in the LA area. The breaks out west are consistently cleaner. Sure, we may have more overhead surf (almost exclusively in the winter), but a clean break isn't easy to come by. Technology does wonderful things for surfing in New England, but nothing beats surfing clean breaks in a 4/3 vs. a 7mm or dry suit. As a skier, your argument reeks of the same kind of homerism that the "ski the east!" crowd spews on the regular. I agree that we have better surf (and skiing) than people often give us credit for, but the West is still much better in both cases.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Santa Barbra and Irving Texas

Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Los Angeles, Denver, Miami, San Francisco, Boston, San Diego, Austin, Savannah, Phoenix

Old 06-17-2016, 06:19 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
I apologize to everyone for allowing myself to be dragged in to senseless bickering but here is a neighborhood that does some quaint houses on a hill I just took coming home to give an idea what I think cumulatively adds to the beauty of Atlanta.Its just my opinion,
Attached Thumbnails
Your top 10 most beautiful American Cities-houhillgreen.jpg   Your top 10 most beautiful American Cities-pink-house-hilll.jpg   Your top 10 most beautiful American Cities-houses-hill.jpg  

Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Seattle
Honolulu
San Francisco
Portland
San Diego
Salt Lake City
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Providence
NYC

....all of which pale to the most beautiful city in North America, though not the U.S.: Vancouver BC. The beauty of that place is god-tier. I couldn't include it in the list but had to mention it.
Vancouver looks is beautiful but its built environment with its generic architecture could be Miami .or any city.
Now Montreal I would have no argument

Old 06-17-2016, 09:33 PM

54 posts, read 86,864 times
Since list is totally subjective, I'm just going to list the ten cities that are beautiful to me.
Washington DC
Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
Baltimore
San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Providence
Detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City