Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 08:55 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsettler View Post
Ruins? Once great? Thanks for that daily dose of City-Data hyperbole. Must have felt really edgy typing that.

Houston is also the very LAST city I would ever consider beautiful, probably the ugliest in America, really no Texas city besides San Antonio and Fort Worth is beautiful in any way.

San Antonio's downtown is great but sorry go south and its crap! Fort Worth's downtown is great as is the west side of town but Dallas's skyline is much better and White Rock Lake Park is one of the best urban parks in America. But the most attractive city in Texas and one I'd ranked in the top ten is Austin:
Great Architecture,
A large body of water bordering downtown with greenspace for walking
Elevation for scenic views west of the downtown area. Go to RM 620 or the Capital of Texas highway day or night. High limestone cliffs and BIG hills.
A trail of lakes also on the west side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:01 PM

232 posts, read 189,684 times
For Larger cities:

San Diego
Boston
Nashville
Charlotte
Atlanta
DC
LA
Denver
Chicago
Seattle

Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotacollectibles View Post
There is no other city in the US that can even come close to Seattle. If this was North America thread Vancouver would be neck and neck. Both incredible gorgeous cities.

I've been to both Seattle and Vancouver. Sorry but British Columbia's biggest city is THE MOST Scenic city in North America. While Seattle has the regal 14,000 ft Mt. Rainier, Vancouver has closer and MUCH more accessible 4,000ft. Grouse Mountain. Seattle has now park area equal to the 1,000 acre Stanley Park. Seattle's Pikes Place is a treasure but Vancouver's Glanville Island which is much larger with more artisans selling wares. And that drive up to Whistler is to die for!

Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
Ranked by architecture only, my top 10 most beautiful cities are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington D.C.
5. Atlanta
6. Minneapolis
7. Charlotte
8. Kansas City
9. Pittsburgh
10. Seattle

honorable mentions (Saint Louis, Detroit, Dallas)

What a BAD list. Charlotte? K.C.? Philly downtown yes but hell the city has more vacant/abandoned buildings than probably any other large city. To not have Dallas and Miami for architecture but keep Atlanta and Minneapolis is bad. Dallas has maybe best nighttime skyline in north America.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Dallas' skyline does it no favors. The neon makes is look small.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
What a BAD list. Charlotte? K.C.? Philly downtown yes but hell the city has more vacant/abandoned buildings than probably any other large city. To not have Dallas and Miami for architecture but keep Atlanta and Minneapolis is bad. Dallas has maybe best nighttime skyline in north America.
False. For example, Chicago has both a larger percentage and more vacant buildings than Philly. There are plenty of other large cities that have a higher percentage of vacant buildings.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
well, he may not have been to those cities...

Old 10-28-2017, 12:25 AM

80 posts, read 96,797 times
Quote:
Dallas was very close to making the list. I agree Dallas does look amazing lit up at night. Miami has mostly boxes without many standout design features-definitely not top 10 quality. Charlotte's Bank of America Coporate Center and Duke Energy Center are both top-notch. Kansas city has a great mix of old and new styles of architecture. I especially love the area around the World War I memorial and Union Station.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:37 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
since I didn't see it mentioned yet

I like Juneau Alaska, has great nature scenery

I'm ignoring the "population" rule, might hit it if you count the cruise ships at dock?

Last edited by MLSFan; 10-28-2017 at 12:47 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 03:01 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
I've been to both Seattle and Vancouver. Sorry but British Columbia's biggest city is THE MOST Scenic city in North America. While Seattle has the regal 14,000 ft Mt. Rainier, Vancouver has closer and MUCH more accessible 4,000ft. Grouse Mountain. Seattle has now park area equal to the 1,000 acre Stanley Park. Seattle's Pikes Place is a treasure but Vancouver's Glanville Island which is much larger with more artisans selling wares. And that drive up to Whistler is to die for!
I don't think it's 4000 feet tall, and honestly more like a big part within the city, but Mount Royal(how it translates to from French to English) was pretty cool in Montreal. I like how so many of the neighborhoods of Montreal, surround that park. And that you can see the top of Mount Royal, from nearby neighborhoods that surround it. Never been to Vancouver or Seattle, so I can't comment on those 2 cities. But I hope to visit both, someday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City