Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM

12 posts, read 10,949 times

Advertisements

i'm all over the place LOL. any help for my scatterbrained self would be much appreciated.

background: i'm about to turn 30. i'm a certified medical assistant & have been with a private practice for over three years. i'm originally from Mississippi. i've lived in Virginia (Lynchburg then Roanoke) for the past 10 years.

i'm looking to relocate further south. i'm way over the winters here (sometimes over a foot overnight, ice storms that knock the power out for days, etc). maybe it's the Mississippi in me, but i'm done with all that. also as a medical assistant i don't make ALL the money, so i would like somewhere affordable with a decent cost of living (where i'm at now is very good, like 84-86?).

i'm really looking at:
Huntsville, AL
Birmingham AL
Chattanooga TN
Raleigh/Durham NC
Charlotte NC

most important aspects:
good COL
mild winters
strong medical community
personality
music/concerts
animal friendly (i have a dog & two cats... more for the dog (parks, animal friendly areas)

i may also be going back to school. a good school in the area would be a perk as well.

i would be looking to rent. i currently pay $550/month for a one bedroom that includes everything but electric. so i need somewhere that offers a $550-$600 range & enough options that i can easily find somewhere that will take my 3 animals.

any input is valuable. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
I'd check out Birmingham if I were you. Due to UAB's presence, it has a large medical community and ticks pretty much all of your other boxes. It's also the southernmost city on your list and has the lowest annual snowfall average.

You may want to look at Augusta, GA too which is home to the state's medical university, doesn't get much snow, has a low cost of living, personality, etc.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,215,986 times
The two North Carolina options are going to be more expensive than your current budget for housing.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM

9,707 posts, read 9,458,647 times
I would choose Huntsville, as it covers all of your checks. The city is growing, vibrant, safe, and contains the UAB School of Medicine in Huntsville. With your budget, you will also save money because the city has a low cost of living. The city is also close to other metro areas such as Chattanooga, Nashville, Birmingham, and contains many restaurant and shopping options. Several of the apartments accept pets, and are family friendly. One of my friends stays at Jackson Square Apartments. I would be more than happy to get you a referral if you like. The major con with Huntsville, however, is the lack of interstate access.

UAB School Of Medicine, Huntsville, AL

Shopping & Attractions

Bridge Street Town Centre :: 365 The Bridge Street, Suite 106 Huntsville, AL 35806

Parkway Place :: 2801 Memorial Park South, Huntsville, AL. 35801 :: 256.533.9094

The Shops at Merchants Walk | 52,000 sq ft of High-Quality Boutique Shopping & Dining

Huntsville, AL New Homes & Apartments | Village of Providence

Town Madison seeks new retail developer; master plan expected soon | AL.com

Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,552,437 times
I'd say RDU. It has 2 of the best hospitals in the nation (Duke and NC Memorial) and the medical field is really big there.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'd say RDU. It has 2 of the best hospitals in the nation (Duke and NC Memorial) and the medical field is really big there.
I think a higher COL and the propensity for more snow/ice during the winter kinda knock Raleigh/Durham out of the running somewhat.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 10,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think a higher COL and the propensity for more snow/ice during the winter kinda knock Raleigh/Durham out of the running somewhat.
Yes, unfortunately RDU has been knocked out of the running for those very reasons.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,819,957 times
Birmingham has a strong and growing medical community in a large city that is easy to navigate and isn't overwhelmed yet. It is on the verge of a boom due to downtown investment and revitalization but hasn't yet gotten to the point where it is over crowded and over priced. But there is plenty of personality with music festivals, big parks, large lakes nearby and a diverse economy and population.

However, it has caught on enough until where I doubt you will find much for less than 650 month for rent unless you are very flexible and don't mind a longer commute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUH0...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Tourian; 06-24-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-25-2016, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 5,695 times
From the sounds of your wish list, it seems that Birmingham is the best city for you. Medicine wise, Birmingham has UAB (one of the best in the nation), Brookwood, St. Vincent's, and Grandview.

Birmingham is also a big city, but has a comfortable, small city vibe. Bham has very mild winters, and they have very pet friendly parks.

Birmingham usually gets added to most concert tours, but if Birmingham isn't one of the stops of a tour; you can pretty much be sure that Atlanta or Nashville will have a date on the tour, and both of those cities are about 2-3 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City