Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Charleston/Savannah were larger, would they be "the South's" Boston/Philadelphia?
Yes 45 48.39%
No 48 51.61%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
If Savanah was able to keep it's charm and old architecture, I would love to have seen what a Savanah with a 5 million + metro area would look like. It would probs be a world class city and a top tier tourist destination that would rival cities like Madrid and Montreal.
I doubt it.It be more like New Orleans which it actually is. A smaller version. Too much racial polarization since the end of slavery.
That I believe is why SAV/CHA would at best be regional powerhouses but I think Atlanta with its booming railroad connectivity doomed Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:28 PM

431 posts, read 521,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I doubt it.It be more like New Orleans which it actually is. A smaller version. Too much racial polarization since the end of slavery.
That I believe is why SAV/CHA would at best be regional powerhouses but I think Atlanta with its booming railroad connectivity doomed Savannah.
Yeah but New Orleans metro is 1/5th the size of Boston and doesn't have a swimmable beach. Boston and Philly have just as much racial polarization as any major city in the South, if not more.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Agreed and it's similar with Charleston and Charlotte to an extent but the main differences are that they aren't in the same state and Charlotte boomed later than Atlanta. Those differences are significant enough that Charleston is now experiencing a renaissance of sorts.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
I don't see the philly comparison at all, but can sort of see the Boston one, I guess.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I don't see the philly comparison at all, but can sort of see the Boston one, I guess.
Both Savannah and Philly are planned, neatly gridded cities and are riverine instead of coastal cities (although Savannah isn't far from the coast at all). That's what I meant by similarities in layout and geography.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both Savannah and Philly are planned, neatly gridded cities and are riverine instead of coastal cities (although Savannah isn't far from the coast at all). That's what I meant by similarities in layout and geography.
If that is the limitation of the comparison, ok. But the two are so different- much more so than CHarleston and Boston IMO. Philly is a very very gritty place. Savannah is kind of the opposite.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
Quote:
If that is the limitation of the comparison, ok. But the two are so different- much more so than CHarleston and Boston IMO. Philly is a very very gritty place. Savannah is kind of the opposite.
SAY WHATTTT???LOL

Umm...no its not. Savannah is EXTREMELY gritty.Its much like New Orleans. Tourist just dont se the Gritty areas unless they get lost.
Boy you just have no idea.lol

Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
SAY WHATTTT???LOL

Umm...no its not. Savannah is EXTREMELY gritty.Its much like New Orleans. Tourist just dont se the Gritty areas unless they get lost.
Boy you just have no idea.lol
I was talking more about the downtown. Philly is 100% gritty at its center. Savannah at its center is not.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I was talking more about the downtown. Philly is 100% gritty at its center. Savannah at its center is not.
Savannah has something of a charming grittiness to it. Of the two large cities under discussion here, it is more like Philly in that regard.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It seems tautological to suggest the population boomed because the population was concentrated there.

The deep south failed to attract European industrial-era immigrants, mainly due to two main factors :

#1 - slavery.

#2 - malaria.

Europeans of that period were terrified of coming to Savannah, New Orleans or Charleston, so they didn't.
It's not "tautological" in this case. Compared to the Deep South, small Northern population centers near waterways were more numerous at the start of the Industrial revolution. Many were not much more than little towns, but their location in the same region favored the growth of interconnected trade, industry, large city population gains within a decade or two, and transportation projects like early railroads and the Erie Canal. Although subtropical weather and mosquito-borne diseases certainly didn't help matters in Charleston or Savannah, it was their "splendid isolation" and raw-materials agricultural market that limited them.

Also, saying Europeans didn't want to come to Charleston and Savannah is simply untrue; both cities received, relative to their size, a significant influx of Germans, Irish, French Huguenots, French Catholics from Haiti post-revolution, and Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal. From the 18th century onward, Savannah and Charleston saw much of the same kind of European immigration that Northern seaports did. The historical worldliness and "Europeanness" of both these southern ports goes beyond quaint architecture. And New Orleans was the European-American city par excellence.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-15-2016 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City