Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Charleston/Savannah were larger, would they be "the South's" Boston/Philadelphia?
Yes 45 48.39%
No 48 51.61%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times

Advertisements

Bless you heart versus go *********rself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Do you mean the culture at the "center"/"core"/"heart" of Philly is gritty? Or that Center City is gritty? The former I can see, though it's changing. The latter is completely false.
Center City is gritty...not all over (i.e., Ben Franklin Pkwy) but in enough parts to know you're in a post-industrial city.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Center City is gritty...not all over (i.e., Ben Franklin Pkwy) but in enough parts to know you're in a post-industrial city.
Can't that be said for literally every singe major east coast and midwest city? Any densely built older city will have some wear and tear.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Can't that be said for literally every singe major east coast and midwest city? Any densely built older city will have some wear and tear.
No, not all of them. Certainly not DC, and Boston doesn't come across as particularly gritty in the core to me.

When it comes to the cities under discussion here, Savannah feels grittier in its core than Charleston, and Philadelphia feels grittier in its core than Boston.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This
No, not this. It implies that the Southern planter class was not engaged in any of those activities, when in fact they were...like any man of wealth would be.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I'm not sure that if driven by commerce and the drive to bigness either Charleston or Savannah would still have a magnificent historical core. I can see them obliterated by a dense population of highrises.
True that in the 1930's Savannah came perilously close to losing their Historic District.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
True that in the 1930's Savannah came perilously close to losing their Historic District.
Well, it wasn't considered "historic" then -- it was a ghetto. But yes, the thing that makes Savannah and Charleston the cities they are today, is the fact that they were largely forgotten for most of the 20th Century. And if the example of other cities is a guide, had history been different then absolutely without a doubt, neither Charleston nor Savannah would still exist as the amazing places they are today. "Progress" does not alway beget "progress" ... Which sometimes comes decades later, thankfully.

It is too bad that I-16 wasn't taken further south of the Savannah HD instead of dead-ending right into it. Not only would that have provided a cross-town freeway connection that's sorely lacking to this day, it would have saved the beautiful old Union Station from demolition perhaps.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, it wasn't considered "historic" then -- it was a ghetto. But yes, the thing that makes Savannah and Charleston the cities they are today, is the fact that they were largely forgotten for most of the 20th Century. And if the example of other cities is a guide, had history been different then absolutely without a doubt, neither Charleston nor Savannah would still exist as the amazing places they are today. "Progress" does not always beget "progress" ... Which sometimes comes decades later, thankfully.

It is too bad that I-16 wasn't taken further south of the Savannah HD instead of dead-ending right into it. Not only would that have provided a cross-town freeway connection that's sorely lacking to this day, it would have saved the beautiful old Union Station from demolition perhaps.
The difference between Charleston and Savannah during that period is that the Old Guard of Charleston stayed entrenched South of Broad, while Savannah gentry abandoned the old neighborhoods for Ardsley Park, the Islands and beyond. It took some effort and time to bring them back. If I remember right, it was the proposal to raze the Davenport House that finally galvanized the community.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:54 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Probably, simply because they are older cities with a lot of history/culture.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:13 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, it wasn't considered "historic" then [1930s]-- it was a ghetto..
Say what? Savannah's downtown was thriving until around 1962. That's when white flight began in earnest. Efforts in the mid-1950s to raze squares (paving paradise to put up a parking lot) were in the interest of "progress" -- downtown was where the department stores, jewelry stores, and other retail was. Broughton St. and Bay St. were still beehives of activity, all geared toward the middle class. Candler Hospital was downtown, the train station (mentioned in the film Some Like It Hot, set in the 1930s) was right downtown, the cool Old DeSoto Hotel was there, too. Armstrong "Junior College" was at Forsyth Park till 1966, as were 90% of public and Catholic schools. There was little street crime of any kind. This is where Savannah lived and shopped in those days. Ardsley Park was just being built. Everything north of Victory and east of Montgomery (MLK) was still middle-class or white working-class. Downtown looked just fine in the 1930s -- hotels, lots of foot traffic, lots of kids playing in the squares.

How do I know this? I heard it all from old-timers (born in the 1890s/turn of the 20th century), who told me and showed me pictures of snazzy ladies dressed like Carole Lombard walking down Broughton. Lady Astor did say Savannah was "the pretty lady with the dirty face," but that's because of congested white working-class tenements and lots of unsightly commercial activity within just a few square blocks. Not only the gentry but the working classes lived there. There were as many people walking around downtown as today, though fewer of them were tourists. Savannah had a very vibrant downtown life through the 1950s (as did all GA cities at this time).

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-06-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City