Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle 109 62.64%
Baltimore 65 37.36%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
yes, metro Baltimore added an amazing 29,000 jobs over the last 12 months, almost half as many as the 62,000 added in Metro DC...but being less than 1/2 of DC is considered success in that run down rest stop

but someday, maybe someday, DT Baltimore might have as much office space as Tyson's Corner! Wow, maybe then Harm City will be able to support its own baseball team without a welfare check from people in DC and Northern VA who couldn't care less about the Orioles.
32,300. You're number are a little off. So, now that your credibility has fallen face first, because you were proven wrong, what else can you conjure up?

Tell me more about the welfare check for the Orioles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Very old school economy"? How so?

Clearly Seattle is growing faster than Baltimore economically but Baltimore still has a higher median household income so everything isn't doom and gloom.

And I don't know how Baltimore matches up with Seattle on vibrancy overall, but the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, downtown, etc. are all quite active and vibrant.
Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Federal Hill are pretty crowded, especially in the summertime. Maybe it's it's because if all the unemployed people laid off because of the old school economy.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
32,300. You're number are a little off. So, now that your credibility has fallen face first, because you were proven wrong, what else can you conjure up?

Tell me more about the welfare check for the Orioles...
dude, I'm sorry the facts aren't what you wish them to be, but no need to get personal

jobs data

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 PM

There's been a lot of pedestrian growth in DT Seattle over the last 5-10 years along with all the new construction.

This site https://www.downtownseattle.com/reso...strian-counts/ has good data on where foot traffic is increasing.

Moreover, Seattle's vibrant neighborhoods come without the levels of crime you get in Baltimore. 10 homicides in Seattle vs. 144 in Baltimore, in spite of Seattle having a larger population.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:55 PM

605 posts, read 669,337 times
Most of Baltimore is run down outside of a few neighborhoods surrounding the Harbor and Charles Street (mainly Hampden, Mount Vernon, Harbor East, Federal Hill, Locust Point, Fells Point, Canton, pockets in Highlandtown, and Patterson Park). While Baltimore has made some improvements Seattle as a whole is still a much more livable city at this point.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
There's been a lot of pedestrian growth in DT Seattle over the last 5-10 years along with all the new construction.

This site https://www.downtownseattle.com/reso...strian-counts/ has good data on where foot traffic is increasing.

Moreover, Seattle's vibrant neighborhoods come without the levels of crime you get in Baltimore. 10 homicides in Seattle vs. 144 in Baltimore, in spite of Seattle having a larger population.
The violent crime in Baltimore isn't happening in its most vibrant, desirable neighborhoods for the most part.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The violent crime in Baltimore isn't happening in its most vibrant, desirable neighborhoods for the most part.
Not sure I agree Baltimore Homicides - baltimoresun.com

Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
From what I can tell, that map roughly corroborates my point. I'm not intensely familiar with Baltimore but from my many visits there, I could see that just one street can separate the more vibrant, desirable neighborhoods from the rougher ones.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
dude, I'm sorry the facts aren't what you wish them to be, but no need to get personal

jobs data

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area
Job Growth by Metropolitan Area | Department of Numbers

Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:

The current boom is bringing 20,000 housing units, 3,000 hotel rooms, and 8,500,000 sf of office space in an area of a few square miles. That's off the charts, and totally uncomparable to anything in modern Baltimore history (and even Seattle's modern history).

Now imagine that despite the boom starting to bubble in 2010 and at full bore in 2012, over half of the new space is either under construction or still in the initial lease-up or tenant improvement period.

The increase in pedestrians is also about filling the existing space (housing, offices, hotels) more than it was before. But much of the influx is construction, and basically half of the current wave has yet to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City