Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Does it really matter if Houston is more dense residentially throughout the entire city if walkability is only found in the urban core?... Even then Houston's urban core is nowhere near as cohesive as Atlanta's urban core. Your average tourist is going to spend their time within and around the urban core. It won't really matter if Houston has more residential density 8 miles outside of downtown...that's mostly likely just suburbs anyway regardless of the city(unless you're talking about the big urban 6 cities)

Houston has zero neighborhoods with the compactness or urbanity of Midtown Atlanta as seen in the photo below. It has no Atlantic Station. It has no Castlebury Hill. All these can be found within Atlanta's urban core center.
And Atlanta has no Museum District, Texas Medical Center, Montrose, and more within its core. What's your point?

Ya'll arguments over Atlanta being more urban core doesn't hold much much weight because Atlanta's core isn't significant enough to override the fact that Atlanta has worse sprawl than Houston. If Atlanta's core was on the level of Seattle or New Orleans, I'd give it to you. However, it's not

When it comes to speaking about urbanity, you have to factor in connectivity and density. Atlanta has us beat on rail, but Houston has ya'll beat on secondary roads, maintaining density through its core and compactness.

Now with that said, Atlanta is definitely taking bigger strides than Houston to become more urban and as I said before, Buckhead has Uptown Houston beat. However, lets not kid ourselves with this talk on Atlanta being so much more urban than Houston because it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
And Atlanta has no Museum District, Texas Medical Center, Montrose, and more within its core. What's your point?

Ya'll arguments over Atlanta being more urban core doesn't hold much much weight because Atlanta's core isn't significant enough to override the fact that Atlanta has worse sprawl than Houston. If Atlanta's core was on the level of Seattle or New Orleans, I'd give it to you. However, it's not

When it comes to speaking about urbanity, you have to factor in connectivity and density. Atlanta has us beat on rail, but Houston has ya'll beat on secondary roads, maintaining density through its core and compactness.

Now with that said, Atlanta is definitely taking bigger strides than Houston to become more urban and as I said before, Buckhead has Uptown Houston beat. However, lets not kid ourselves with this talk on Atlanta being so much more urban than Houston because it's not.
The core of Atlanta is more walkable.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thats a shame to spend all that money building walkable areas where you wont see much foot traffic.
There is no need to go there if you can't afford too. Have you seen parts of madison Ave during the days a lot less traffic than 5th ave. Madison has all the highend stores most people don't venture there because well what are they going to do there?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The core of Atlanta is more walkable.
And where did I say otherwise??? Even though I'm no sure what the core is.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
There is no need to go there if you can't afford too. Have you seen parts of madison Ave during the days a lot less traffic than 5th ave. Madison has all the highend stores most people don't venture there because well what are they going to do there?
But at least Madison avenue is a part of the urban fabric of the entire city and you walk through it or on it to get to other locations. This place looks like an isolated walkable retail center.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
And where did I say otherwise??? Even though I'm no sure what the core is.
This thread is really about uptown buckhead and Southpark Right now buckhead is better positioned to be more of a urban destination the fasted it's a lot more compact and theres 4 rail stations within the most busiest parts of the center. The rail stations are centered around shopping recreational stuff like parks and restaurants. Not to mention there are plenty of bike lanes and they are working on the extension of he beltline in that area.

The core Atlanta would consist of all of its historical areas from the east west north and south a of downtown and midtown Atlanta. All the adjacent neighborhoods. It's easy to walk from one neighborhood into the next. majority of them are connected and are connected by rail. If you visit you will most definitely see the difference. It gives you more of a city feel.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But at least Madison avenue is a part of the urban fabric of the entire city and you walk through it or on it to get to other locations. This place looks like an isolated walkable retail center.
This is a Ariel view of the development tell me what you think

Old 07-06-2016, 10:08 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
This is a Ariel view of the development tell me what you think
It looks like one of those places you drive to and walk around the stores for awhile to drive to the next cluster of interesting things to do.

I would prefer Atlanta fill in outward from Midtown rather then focus on creating walkable clusters in Buckhead. The interesting neighborhoods are in pockets isolated from each other.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I think Uptown has Buckhead beat Uptown is more of grid than Buckhead.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It looks like one of those places you drive to and walk around the stores for awhile to drive to the next cluster of interesting things to do.

I would prefer Atlanta fill in outward from Midtown rather then focus on creating walkable clusters in Buckhead. The interesting neighborhoods are in pockets isolated from each other.
True for those coming from the suburbs. It's located along peach tree St the most developed parts of Buckhead. This area used to be nothing but clubs bars and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City