Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Wait. So not "South Park" in Los Angeles? You're asking if some neighborhood in Charlotte that was named after a large indoor shopping mall has the most potential to become an urban destination? Are you serious? And how in the world was anyone to know that this neighborhood was what you meant? I've never heard of it before now. What a terribly vague post to start this thread with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
So ATL is built like Dallas with an urban center and then it just spreads into neighborhoods and suburbs?

Houston has a strange development pattern. It has several different urban centers; Uptown, downtown, Midtown, Medical Center, Greenway, etc.

Although have you seen the new proposals for the River Oaks District yet? It's supposed to be a pretty big high luxury shopping center that will rival the Galleria?
No, Dallas is built similar to Houston. Look at how quick density drops off in the surrounding areas of Uptown Houston and Buckhead. I've seen River Oaks District. It's cute, but the area is not urban and that's the problem. Houston will built a large urban project and have it surrounded with freeways and wide streets.

If one can't walk there. It's not truly urban nor promotes urbanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
My generation, the millennials, brought the burbs into Inner city Houston with those townhomes. Ironic because they will complain and complain about how Houston isn't urban on reddit, yet can't put two and two to see the little parts (like good sidewalks) that go into the whole that is great urbanity.
Those townhomes could be great if they weren't built behind gates and set off in seclusion. It doesn't really promote what an urban environment is.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 07-04-2016 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Until Houston, and basically the entire sunbelt outside LA make more of an effort to build human scaled developments and make them cohesive and connected, what you see is what you get. Density without the urbanity.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Wait. So not "South Park" in Los Angeles? You're asking if some neighborhood in Charlotte that was named after a large indoor shopping mall has the most potential to become an urban destination? Are you serious? And how in the world was anyone to know that this neighborhood was what you meant? I've never heard of it before now. What a terribly vague post to start this thread with.
I figured he was talking about Charlotte myself.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Until Houston, and basically the entire sunbelt outside LA make more of an effort to build human scaled developments and make them cohesive and connected, what you see is what you get. Density without the urbanity.
Bingo!

This idea of just throwing random urban style projects out in the middle of nowhere just really feeds into the already suburban mindset that exists with many sunbelt dwellers.

I think Houston is doing a fantastic job with 4th ward. It's incorporating the already preexisting structures and style of the area, but already creating a more pedestrian friendly environment.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
No, Dallas is built similar to Houston. Look at how quick density drops off in the surrounding areas of Uptown Houston and Buckhead. I've seen River Oaks District. It's cute, but the area is not urban and that's the problem. Houston will built a large urban project and have it surrounded with freeways and wide streets.

If one can't walk there. It's not truly urban nor promotes urbanity.

Those townhomes could be great if they weren't built behind gates and set off in seclusion. It doesn't really promote what an urban environment is.
The overall urban densities of Dallas and Houston are more comparable, but what Atlanta shares with the former is a smaller core surrounded by many independent suburbs and counties. They're a lot more like each other in this way.

The city is developing its own style of urbanity, which I am fine with. I don't care as much about wide sidewalks or rowhouses. I don't want Houston to look like New York or Chicago. I want it to look like Houston - with rail.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Having wide sidewalks hardly makes one look like Chicago or New York. It makes you look like a walkable city. Like the majority of the rest of the world. No pedestrian is trying to compete with other cars on the same street. Not to mention, pedestrians aren't going to walk on disappearing sidewalks either consistently. You also don't need row homes to be urban though better use of land does help towards an urban environment.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:32 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Bingo!

This idea of just throwing random urban style projects out in the middle of nowhere just really feeds into the already suburban mindset that exists with many sunbelt dwellers.

I think Houston is doing a fantastic job with 4th ward. It's incorporating the already preexisting structures and style of the area, but already creating a more pedestrian friendly environment.
4th Ward = Midtown? Are you talking about EaDo?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:19 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
lol what? Soho is gritty, Buckhead? I don't know about that one.
Look at the streetview compared to the others. Buckhead is more than Lenox.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Look at the streetview compared to the others. Buckhead is more than Lenox.
There is no part of Buckhead I'd describe as anything close to gritty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City