Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city?
Palm Springs / Palm Desert 59 48.36%
Phoenix 63 51.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Which is certainly not my goal. I would like to consider potential retirement spots at this point in my life. But thanks for the minimum wage update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
I've been to PS many times and all I can say is that Palm Springs is arguably the most place city in the US. These cities are on far different levels. Phoenix/Scottsdale beats PS in just about every single category. PS is basically a bootleg Scottsdale if Scottsdale was not connected to a city with 1.5 million people.

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 07-11-2016 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 12:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
"The most place city in the US". Not sure what that even means.

Again, this thread is what we prefer. It isn't about size.

PS as "basically a bootleg Scottsdale to a city with 1.5 million people" is somewhat akin to Palm Springs a bootleg to a population of 13 million.

Or in other words, Palm Springs is next to the 2nd largest metro in the US, as Phoenix is next to the 53rd largest metro in the US. Yeah, Tucson!

Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
"The most place city in the US". Not sure what that even means.

Again, this thread is what we prefer. It isn't about size.

PS as "basically a bootleg Scottsdale to a city with 1.5 million people" is somewhat akin to Palm Springs a bootleg to a population of 13 million.

Or in other words, Palm Springs is next to the 2nd largest metro in the US, as Phoenix is next to the 53rd largest metro in the US. Yeah, Tucson!
I live in LA, I know how far PS is from the city. As to the whole "The most place city in the US" that was a silly typo on my behalf, I meant to say it's the most overrated city in the US. It's clear you love Palm Springs because you have spent this entire thread defending it (while simultaneously giving false information about phoenix) and more power to you, glad you enjoy Palm Springs. The thread asked for our personal opinion, and I gave mine, just as you gave yours. Also, PS is a 2 plus hour drive to LA with traffic once you hit riverside. Downtown Scottsdale is a 3 min drive to Phoenix borders... what I was implying is that one is a well-known suburb of a major city and the other is a well-known large town that is 2.5 hours away from a major city (a stressful 2.5 hours might I add lol), so it's hard to compare the two. Again, clearly some prefer PS, some prefer PHX/Scottsdale, and some like both equally, it's all a matter of personal opinion (which we all clearly know city-data isn't lacking of lol).

Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Palm Springs sucks. That's my opinion. If you're going to force yourself into a climate that's the equivalent of living inside of a blow dryer for three or four months then at least pick the one with good city amenities AND cheaper COL AND cheaper taxes AND lower temps with more precipitation (better plant life = better scenery imo). I don't know why anyone would pick Palm Springs when they can have Scottsdale for bigger house, cheaper, almost direct access to all big four sports, international airport, good freeways, etc. Palm Springs has LA, and for PS to get the big city amenities that LA has one has to sit through traffic that comes from Satan himself to get to them. Anyone who has driven in LA and Phoenix should know how drastic the traffic is between them. Odds are if someone can afford Palm Springs especially for retirement given how California is on taxes, they can probably afford even more frequent beach trips from Scottsdale and more. California is not retirement friendly, and Arizona is as we all know. I legitimately do not see the appeal to Palm Springs. I bet it was a nice area before LA and San Diego became the cities with the traffic issues they see now. But to me the premium of Californian living (since Cali is all around expensive compared to AZ even in the inland areas) would only be worth it if I was an hour away drive from the beach tops, and how far is that in SoCal os debatable but it's certainly way before Palm Springs. Depending on traffic maybe Corona tops to Huntington, I haven't driven through there in a while.

Point is the benefits of having LA and the beach in the same state becomes pretty much moot after considering traffic, so you can have a rich city in the desert with no big city attached or a rich, cheaper, city in the desert with a big city attached. To me that choice is pretty obvious.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 AM

391 posts, read 753,348 times
Sounds wise Prickly Pear. I thought Palm Springs might be a bit more quiet and laid back than Phoenix... but I've never been to Phoenix. I have imagined a mini-LA with massive traffic wherever you go. But maybe there are serene spots inside the metro?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Sounds wise Prickly Pear. I thought Palm Springs might be a bit more quiet and laid back than Phoenix... but I've never been to Phoenix. I have imagined a mini-LA with massive traffic wherever you go. But maybe there are serene spots inside the metro?
Plenty of serene spots inside the metro. If you are wealthy I find Paradise Valley to be relatively peaceful if you are away from Lincoln Road (main road inside of the small PV).

I think the Northeast part of the Valley is the most peaceful. I suggest looking into Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, and North Scottsdale (east of the 101 from Shea and up to Cave Creek, and north of the 101 starting west of Cave Creek Road).

Old 09-11-2016, 09:15 AM

58 posts, read 117,720 times
I notice that no one has discussed the people. I live in Scottsdale (aka Snottsdale) and find the people here very stand-offish. There is a fear-based mentality in the metro area that I've never experienced anywhere else (meaning that people seem reluctant to collaborate, share information, or work together - they seem to feel threatened by others). If you're not in a particular clique, you're the odd one out. It's been interesting... (no offense to those who love this place). Anyway, I've actually been looking at Palm Springs/Palm Desert and that is one of my main questions. I love engaging with people and I'm wondering how friendly the Palm Springs area is. I realize everyone's experience is highly subjective, but I'd be interested in others' perceptions/experiences. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I prefer Phoenix.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
Both are about the same weather wise, PS has easy access to the Mountains Idyllwild up Highway 74 in Palm Desert, Phoenix you can escape the heat into Peyson.

PS you have beaches and Los Angeles not far a drive,a huge plus, Phoenix is it own metro and has lot of facilities, although the day at the beach option is out.

For jobs Phoenix is better for overall location within reasonably close attractions I would say PS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City