Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The City-versus-City subsection of the forum is designed for comparison between cities and areas in United States, Canada, and Mexico; in addition to each respective country's offshore territories (e.g. United States Virgin Islands, Guam, Somoa, so on and so forth).

The comparisons to Toronto in this forum are apt.

As for the person that said they "wish" there was less comparison to Toronto because "its in another country." Then basically you wish people remained oblivious to how their cities on their continent compare.

These comparisons are great, we get a good feel for how cities stack up to one another in an assortment of different factors, which to some people that may have an interest in or quite possibly looking to relocate to, can be quite valuable information.
Americans and Canadians cannot just "relocate" to another country, at will. I'm guessing you know that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nah this is a cop out. To try and pretend that racism and discrimination are not serious issues in Canada is egodriven boosterism. Pointing out police shootings in the US is irrelevant to the suffering of minorities in Canada, which by all accounts is just as bad as here, if not worse.

The abhorrent systematic discrimination that was described to me by more than a few minorities up there made me sad.
Reading is fundamental. You skipped the sentence immediately after the bullets in my post.
//www.city-data.com/forum/45764756-post122.html

Also, there is no point comparing racism in Canada and racism in the United States....or if I were to narrow it down to the constant police shootings and murders of unarmed blacks across the United States in the past few years alone.

I don't think it would be wise to compare stories described to you in a taxi on your visit to Canada vs. the countless police shootings (including killings) of unarmed blacks in the U.S. that have received international media coverage.

Quote:
Well yeah, but I OWN IT. 9th is awful but its less awful than 2nd, and Oakland's drop is actually huge.

And there are certain areas in the world where high crime rates dont exclude you from having a great life nonetheless. Atlanta and DC both rank in the top 20 and Iive in those cities before Toronto or Vancouver any day of the week.

Oakland has a high crime rate but at the same time is affluent and highly educated and we are seeing the city enter a new chapter in its existence with a booming influx of techies, hipsters, artists etc. Oakland has a decorated food scene with Michelin recognized restaurants like Commis, which has 2 stars

NY is really the only other city from SF that has so much going on outside its urban heart as far as secondary urban hubs that are as trendy as Oakland.
It's true that 9th is less awful compared to 2nd if we were talking about let's say 50 cities of 100K in the U.S. But when you have 300+ cities of 100K or more... well, you get the point (I hope).

The income gap in Oakland (and the rest of the Bay) is highest in Cali and growing.
Income gap growing in California

In assuming when Uber or whoever is opening their new glittzy tech hub in Oakland, the gap will widen even more, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how your mention of a 2-star restaurant or secondary trendy hubs are a response to Oakland's crime problem. Does the police, mayor or gov have a plan to combat it?

Old 10-09-2016, 02:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Americans and Canadians cannot just "relocate" to another country, at will. I'm guessing you know that, too.
Sure they can if they meet the eligibility standards (which assuming they have a clean and proven record, is not a problem); they need to find an appropriate reason for their application, once they've done that, sure they can. It isn't rocketscience. It is just a lot of paper work, signatures, identification photo taking, applications, proving identification, updating personal bios, and searching for employment opportunities (recommended; not required). Chalk it up to about a 3 month long process of paperwork and verification documents and its done. Not exactly a painful process.

If I wanted to RIGHT NOW, I would start my immigration process immediately. The first step only takes 10-15 minutes;

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

Is the move as easy as Minnesota to Florida? No. Is it crushingly impossible and confusing? Also, no.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:11 PM

615 posts, read 599,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Reading is fundamental. You skipped the sentence immediately after the bullets in my post.
//www.city-data.com/forum/45764756-post122.html

Also, there is no point comparing racism in Canada and racism in the United States....or if I were to narrow it down to the constant police shootings and murders of unarmed blacks across the United States in the past few years alone.
Oakland itself has big problems with black relations and a lot of the gentrification he's touting is pushing blacks out of the area.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Also, if you're an applicant with a good record and possess high-skill levels, the immigration entry process is even faster for you than for an ordinary lower-skilled person with maybe some blemishes on their record. You can get permanent residency in Canada with far fewer steps involved and less lengthy duration to your application process.

Immigrate as a skilled worker through Express Entry

I don't see the problem.

If you're a Canadian in Toronto and want to make living in the United States a reality, you can do that, easily, if you have the credentials going for you. The same is true vice versa, if you're an American looking to make a living in Toronto a reality, you can easily do that, again, with the necessary credentials.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
The income gap in Oakland (and the rest of the Bay) is highest in Cali and growing.
So what? How exactly is this the Bay Area's 'fault'? We live in a capitalist economy and there are always going to be rich and poor.

Our rich are too successful? The only downside is we dont have enough housing hence exorbitant prices, yeah sure.

But on its face, complaints about income inequality are largely bogus imo.

In 2015, a whopping 49% of Bay Area families earned $100,000+ a year( Average Family Income $132,606) while only 7.3% were poor according to the Census Bureau, so what exactly is the problem? We need to have more poor people?

I dont get the fake dire concern for Bay Area income inequality.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:44 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Oakland itself has big problems with black relations and a lot of the gentrification he's touting is pushing blacks out of the area.
Pretty much. There's countless videos on youtube and media coverage about it. Sad to see people getting forced out of their own home.

Check these videos out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-2nWk_fv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQ9jtsfGPA

"In 1995 there were 100,000 blacks in SF...today, there are 40,000."
If this continues and bleeds into Oakland, the black population there may also face the same fate.

And we wonder why SF has a huge ongoing homeless problem.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Also, if you're an applicant with a good record and possess high-skill levels, the immigration entry process is even faster for you than for an ordinary lower-skilled person with maybe some blemishes on their record. You can get permanent residency in Canada with far fewer steps involved and less lengthy duration to your application process.

Immigrate as a skilled worker through Express Entry

I don't see the problem.

If you're a Canadian in Toronto and want to make living in the United States a reality, you can do that, easily, if you have the credentials going for you. The same is true vice versa, if you're an American looking to make a living in Toronto a reality, you can easily do that, again, with the necessary credentials.
Yes, it's kind of like I said. You can't move on a whim, and you're not guaranteed anything. I've never known anyone who has expressed a desire to move to Toronto. I certainly don't know everyone, though. Just for fun, I looked at the Toronto Forum...it's interesting to see a lot of the same posters, and their glee about Toronto surpassing Chicago in population. Looks like, though, Chicago has won this poll.

Last edited by Enean; 10-09-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 03:17 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, it's kind of like I said. You can't move on a whim, and you're not guaranteed anything. I've never known anyone who has expressed a desire to move to Toronto. I certainly don't know everyone, though.
Im trying to figure out the Golden Horseshoe economy. Ive read in a few places that it accounts for two-thirds of the provincial gross product.

If that's true than C$747.101B X $0.78 exchange rate= U$582.738 Billion Ontario GDP × 0.66 = U$384.607 Billion Golden Horseshoe GDP.

Ontario Fact Sheet September 2016
Anyone feel free to do your own calculations.

And so...

Combined Statistical Areas by GDP, 2015
1. New York-Newark-Jersey City $1.828 Trillion
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach $1.119 Trillion
3. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $ 758.501 Billion
4. Washington-Baltimore-Arlington $698.398 Billion
5. Chicago-Naperville $648.435 Billion
6. Boston-Worcester-Providence $550.838 Billion
7. Houston-The Woodlands $503.311 Billion
8. Dallas-Ft Worth $489.633 Billion
9. Philadelphia-Reading-Camden $445.397 Billion
Toronto-Golden Horseshoe Region $384.607 Billion
10. Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs $355.914 Billion
11. Seattle-Tacoma $340.064 Billion
12. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Port St Lucie $335.215 Billion
13. Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor $285.308 Billion

I think I'll look for the Mexico City area gdp as well. Last time I did DF and Estado de Mexico. Anyone know any other state GDPs that should be included?

Old 10-09-2016, 03:29 PM

615 posts, read 599,618 times
Quote:
Im trying to figure out the Golden Horseshoe economy. Ive read in a few places that it accounts for two-thirds of the provincial gross product.

If that's true than C$747.101B X $0.78 exchange rate= U$582.738 Billion Ontario GDP × 0.66 = U$384.607 Billion Golden Horseshoe GDP.

Ontario Fact Sheet September 2016
Anyone feel free to do your own calculations.

And so...

Combined Statistical Areas by GDP, 2015
1. New York-Newark-Jersey City $1.828 Trillion
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach $1.119 Trillion
3. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $ 758.501 Billion
4. Washington-Baltimore-Arlington $698.398 Billion
5. Chicago-Naperville $648.435 Billion
6. Boston-Worcester-Providence $550.838 Billion
7. Houston-The Woodlands $503.311 Billion
8. Dallas-Ft Worth $489.633 Billion
9. Philadelphia-Reading-Camden $445.397 Billion
Toronto-Golden Horseshoe Region $384.607 Billion
10. Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs $355.914 Billion
11. Seattle-Tacoma $340.064 Billion
12. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Port St Lucie $335.215 Billion
13. Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor $285.308 Billion

I think I'll look for the Mexico City area gdp as well. Last time I did DF and Estado de Mexico. Anyone know any other state GDPs that should be included?
The USD conversion rate mildly screws us over in these comparisons, Torontos GDP has not fluctuated as rapidly as the USD-CAD has. We have essentially the same output as from when the dollar was at par (maybe even more), but the conversion reflects a lower number.

The CAD is pegged to oil, which is not Ontario's industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City