Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:32 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

And yes, Whoa is us as far as quality of life. LOL

2016 Ranking of Top 100 Best Places to Live in America | Livability | Best Small to mid-sized U.S. Cities to Live

Quote:
We ranked more than 2,000 cities with populations between 20,000 and 350,000 to come up with our third annual Top 100 Best Places to Live. This is a data-driven list based on more than 40 data points. This year we are proud to have collaborated with world-renowned urbanist Richard Florida and assistant clinical professor Steven Pedigo from the Initiative for Creativity and Innovation in Cities at NYU School of Professional Studies, our new data partners EMSI and our stellar board of advisors in shaping our proprietary methodology and the framework by which we rank the cities.
Bay Area: 16/100
6 Palo Alto, CA
11 Walnut Creek, CA
12 San Mateo, CA
19 Santa Cruz, CA
45 Menlo Park, CA
54 Pleasanton, CA
63 Santa Rosa, CA
65 Petaluma, CA
67 San Rafael, CA
68 Napa, CA
73 Novato, CA
77 Mountain View, CA
83 Redwood City, CA
84 Livermore, CA
85 Berkeley, CA
97 Santa Clara, CA

Washington: 4/100
17 Rockville, MD
49 Arlington, VA
56 Alexandria, VA
100 Bethesda, MD

Chicago: 1/100
51 Downers Grove, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yes, Whoa is us as far as quality of life. LOL

2016 Ranking of Top 100 Best Places to Live in America | Livability | Best Small to mid-sized U.S. Cities to Live

Bay Area: 16/100
6 Palo Alto, CA
11 Walnut Creek, CA
12 San Mateo, CA
19 Santa Cruz, CA
45 Menlo Park, CA
54 Pleasanton, CA
63 Santa Rosa, CA
65 Petaluma, CA
67 San Rafael, CA
68 Napa, CA
73 Novato, CA
77 Mountain View, CA
83 Redwood City, CA
84 Livermore, CA
85 Berkeley, CA
97 Santa Clara, CA

Washington: 4/100
17 Rockville, MD
49 Arlington, VA
56 Alexandria, VA
100 Bethesda, MD

Chicago: 1/100
51 Downers Grove, IL
Wait, you're telling me the best places to live are places where you have to have a lot of money? Shocking, I tell you.

You seem to have the chicken/egg thing all mixed up. People in the bay area make more money because you have to make more money to live in the bay area. He does not elevate people out of poverty, it simply pushes the poor out. You seem to believe the lack of socioeconomic diversity is a good thing. It isn't.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Wait, you're telling me the best places to live are places where you have to have a lot of money? Shocking, I tell you.

You seem to have the chicken/egg thing all mixed up. People in the bay area make more money because you have to make more money to live in the bay area. He does not elevate people out of poverty, it simply pushes the poor out. You seem to believe the lack of socioeconomic diversity is a good thing. It isn't.
Actually youre wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
The places where poor children face the worst odds include some — but not all — of the nation’s largest urban areas, like Atlanta; Chicago; Los Angeles; Milwaukee; Orlando, West Palm Beach and Tampa in Florida; Austin, Tex.; the Bronx; and the parts of Manhattan with low-income neighborhoods...

The places most conducive to upward mobility include large cities — San Francisco, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and Providence, R.I. — and major suburban counties, such as Fairfax, Va.; Bergen, N.J.; Bucks, Pa.; Macomb, Mich.; Worcester, Mass.; and Contra Costa, Calif.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/up...f-poverty.html

San Francisco is among the top major cities as far as the proportion of children who grow up poor that rise to affluence in adulthood.

Why?
Quote:
These places tend to share several traits, Mr. Hendren said. They have elementary schools with higher test scores, a higher share of two-parent families, greater levels of involvement in civic and religious groups and more residential integration of affluent, middle-class and poor families.
San Francisco actually has high test scoring schools on the whole, is socioeconomically integrated, and has a very high degree of civic involvement.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:57 AM

2015 US News & World Report
World University Rankings

Top 100

Bay Area CSA
#3 University of California, Berkeley
#4 Stanford University
#23 University of California, San Francisco
#48 University of California, Santa Cruz

Chicago CSA
#9 University of Chicago
#25 Northwestern University

Washington CSA
#12 Johns Hopkins University
#41 University of Maryland, College Park

Toronto CMA
#16 University of Toronto

Top World University Rankings | US News Best Global Universities

Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
2015 US News & World Report
World University Rankings

Top 100

Bay Area CSA
#3 University of California, Berkeley
#4 Stanford University
#23 University of California, San Francisco
#48 University of California, Santa Cruz

Chicago CSA
#9 University of Chicago
#25 Northwestern University

Washington CSA
#12 Johns Hopkins University
#41 University of Maryland, College Park

Toronto CMA
#16 University of Toronto

Top World University Rankings | US News Best Global Universities
The 2016 U.S. national rankings definitely changed; I wonder how long before the global rankings for 2016 come out?

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
k/year.

I was in NYC two weeks ago, when I get a chance I will post a photo I took of the skyline coming into the city, with a pronounced yellow haze stretching up to the spire of 1WTC.
No, NYC has good air quality compared to most U.S. cities.

You can't tell air quality by eyesight. "Hazy" skies are due to a variety of environmental factors, many having nothing to do with air quality.

The U.S. cities with the worst air quality fall into two camps- Western cities, in metros ringed by mountains (almost all of them) and Rustbelt cities close to industrial/mining output.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The 2016 U.S. national rankings definitely changed; I wonder how long before the global rankings for 2016 come out?

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
The difference is that the national ranking includes things such as class size and alumni giving.

The world does not include those things, instead the world ranking focuses on how strong a school's research is, how cited the school is in scientific and professional journals, nobel prizes, etc.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
The difference is that the national ranking includes things such as class size and alumni giving.

The world does not include those things, instead the world ranking focuses on how strong a school's research is, how cited the school is in scientific and professional journals, nobel prizes, etc.
Sure; I'm still curious how things might change. Regardless, I think the Bay Area and Chicagoland both outcompete in higher education over TO and DC (especially if Baltimore is omitted).

Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM

400 posts, read 422,395 times
Native Torontonian,

Choose Chicago. Mind you, I've only visited the city (many times) but it really is the best of the four.
The only quibble I'd have with Chicago is that it seems to not be as dynamic - in terms of change - as the other cities.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:03 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Again I think it's less to do with the super rich choosing to live there and more to do with NYC's economy enabling people to earn $200k+/year, something they probably couldn't do in other cities.

They could leave, but they would no longer be making $200k/year.

I was in NYC two weeks ago, when I get a chance I will post a photo I took of the skyline coming into the city, with a pronounced yellow haze stretching up to the spire of 1WTC. By international standards for its size and population NYC does well for air quality, but it is still not great compared to many other major cities in North America.

By congested I mean traffic is a nightmare, to get into manhattan, in manhattan, and to leave manhattan. Just to get to JFK from manhattan can be exhausting.

The difference is the alps cannot be moved, but VCs can. Eventually they will realize good software can come from anywhere and they can get a much better ROI in cities like Seattle or Vancouver among many other cities.
Ok. A few things:

1. You do know that people all over the world dream of living in NYC right? It's not just money that keeps people here. People move here and barely get by but stay here because they love the city. I know because ever since I moved to Brooklyn that's been the majority of the people I hang out with. People do WANT to live here, and some go to crazy legnths just to live here.

2. Lol, you saw a yellow haze in the air so that means NYC is polluted? What?

3. If you try to drive in NYC, especially in and out of Manhattan, you will have a bad time. Remember that Manhattan is an extremely crowded island. There's a bottleneck effect driving in and out. You can avoid this by simply just taking the subway.
Most people that live here don't have a car. This is why we take the subway everywhere. Taking the subway is much easier than driving here. We have one of the largest subway systems in the world and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe the only subway system that is completely open 24/7 in the entire world.
NYC is really the only "truly" transit oriented city in North America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City