Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 PM

398 posts, read 381,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
LP Zoo is a tiny kiddie zoo = never having been to Chicago

It is utterly absurd.
NOLA is a complete and utter fraud. Surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
I didn't fabricate any stats. You're delusional. The only liar is the bum who says Lincoln Park has no cultural attractions.

America's Most-Visited Zoos | Travel + Leisure

San Antonio's Riverwalk attracts 11.5 million visitors and that figure even seems conservative to me.

Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More

Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Was just in Charleston and Savannah.

Both are small cities with beautiful downtowns/historic districts.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's Riverwalk attracts 11.5 million visitors and that figure even seems conservative to me.

Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More
The Riverwalk is one of my favorite features in any US city. But visitor counts tend to be BS. Even if they're reality-based, a lot of people get counted hundreds of times per year individually. Same with malls, streets, etc.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:32 AM

I don't think there's any question that NYC and Chicago are head and shoulders above the rest. They are #1 and #2 respectively in number of skyscrapers in America and they are loaded with amenities and landmarks, unlike any other city in America. NYC also has legendary Central Park (I know that's more Midtown than Downtown but Midtown is still a CBD).

Chicago has the Mag Mile, Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, and multiple beaches all in the downtown, which is insane. I can't think of any other city in North America with multiple bodies of water or beaches in the downtown.

The city I believe we're sleeping on, though, and *FULL DISCRETION*, I have never been (I'm going in three months), is Miami. #3 in number of skyscrapers and an absolutely beautiful looking downtown/Brickell situated right next to the bay. I believe the reason it gets slept on is because there doesn't appear to be much hustle and bustle. Besides that, it looks very strong.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...yscrapers.html

Old 09-20-2018, 12:03 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
I don't think there's any question that NYC and Chicago are head and shoulders above the rest. They are #1 and #2 respectively in number of skyscrapers in America and they are loaded with amenities and landmarks, unlike any other city in America. NYC also has legendary Central Park (I know that's more Midtown than Downtown but Midtown is still a CBD).

Chicago has the Mag Mile, Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, and multiple beaches all in the downtown, which is insane. I can't think of any other city in North America with multiple bodies of water or beaches in the downtown.

The city I believe we're sleeping on, though, and *FULL DISCRETION*, I have never been (I'm going in three months), is Miami. #3 in number of skyscrapers and an absolutely beautiful looking downtown/Brickell situated right next to the bay. I believe the reason it gets slept on is because there doesn't appear to be much hustle and bustle. Besides that, it looks very strong.

While Miami has made huge improvements, I cannot see how it would rank number 3. Also, having the third most skyscapers is by no means a measurement of how good a downtown area is.

Philadelphia and San Fran and now DC are right up there with Chicago in terms of "downtown" district. Chicago is a larger city, but New York is the only clear runaway.

I would rank

NYC
Chicago
Philly/San Fran
DC
Boston

The architecture, streets-cape, activity, amenities, walk-ability, transit, food, arts, density, etc. in the above cities rank higher than Miami. That isn't to say Miami is lacking, but its definitely not a top 5 downtown.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
While Miami has made huge improvements, I cannot see how it would rank number 3. Also, having the third most skyscapers is by no means a measurement of how good a downtown area is.

Philadelphia and San Fran and now DC are right up there with Chicago in terms of "downtown" district. Chicago is a larger city, but New York is the only clear runaway.

I would rank

NYC
Chicago
Philly/San Fran
DC
Boston

The architecture, streets-cape, activity, amenities, walk-ability, transit, food, arts, density, etc. in the above cities rank higher than Miami. That isn't to say Miami is lacking, but its definitely not a top 5 downtown.

These are same great points. That being said, I would remove SF. San Francisco, like Los Angeles, is in absolute shambles.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ness-drug.html

Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
I think I may have commented, but below would be mine. Admittedly, with the exception of NYC and Chicago, the others do change with some frequency.

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3a. Boston
3b. SF
5. DC

Seattle would be next in my lineup, followed by Philadelphia.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,610 times
I’m as big as a SF homer there is, but this is a huge problem. SF city leaders proposed a shelter and rehab center in a neighborhood between North Beach and Pier 39 and business leaders are opposed to it saying it will drive business down. They can’t have it both ways unless they want to ship them off to the Farallon Islands.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:

What does number of skyscrapers have anything to do with the quality of a downtown? Would you put Chicago ahead of Paris?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City