Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
California 47 42.34%
the Mid-Atlantic Region 64 57.66%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Grew up in San Diego, lived in Los Angeles for awhile before I moved to the DC Area last year:

- Climate: California

- Topography: California

- Economy: Mid-Atlantic

- Costs and expenses: Mid-Atlantic

- Public education (K-12): Mid-Atlantic

- Higher education (colleges and universities): Tie (University of California schools and University of Virginia college systems are top notch, and the Mid-Atlantic has great private colleges

- Infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, drainage systems, levee systems, whatever): California

- Airport (international and domestic): Mid Atlantic

- Urban offerings: Mid Atlantic

- Architectural style: California, but while I miss the quasi-mission style and Mid-Century Modern architecture, I've grown to love the colonial style of the Mid-Atlantic

- Public Transport (buses, inner city rail, commuter rail, tramways): Mid-Atlantic

- Amenities: Tie

- Diversity: Tie

- Culinary scene: California

- Music scene: California

- Political scene (type of politics and mindset): I'm somewhat left of center, but I prefer the pragmatic liberal approach of the Mid-Atlantic rather than the outright kookiness/semi anarchist mindsets of some Califorinans

- Neighborhoods (historic, ethnic, affluent, middle-class, so on): Mid-Atlantic

- Suburbs: California

- Entertainment (sports themes, major conventions, themeparks, waterparks, so on): California

- Nightlife scene: Mid Atlantic

- Image as a place: California

- Safety: Tie - Both have very dangerous areas, but very safe areas as well

- History: Mid Atlantic

- Level of Customer Service: California

- User friendliness (the city is easy to get around, easy to understand, things come easy here): California. Southern California is fairly easy to get around when there is no traffic

- Cultural institutions and performing arts: Mid Atlantic

- City parks, public spaces, and greenbelts: California

Disagree with education. Mid-Atlantic is the home of 4 Ivies and 3 of the "Seven Sisters." That's just for starters.

I note you've been in DC for 1+ years. Many consider DC an anomaly among the Big 5 cities of the northeast. How much time have you spent in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:11 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And population wise, it's about even. Even with CSAs, you're looking at 40 million vs 40 million.
Maybe, though California includes a lot of small interior cities, rural areas and natural parks whereas the string of CSAs don't. I think Pennsylvania/New Jersey/New York also reaches about the same population as California and includes a large diversity of different kinds of places and keeps most of the NYC and Philadelphia metros intact.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 AM

638 posts, read 977,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Is this a joke? California obviously.
wrong answer according to the majority vote

Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Disagree with education. Mid-Atlantic is the home of 4 Ivies and 3 of the "Seven Sisters." That's just for starters.

I note you've been in DC for 1+ years. Many consider DC an anomaly among the Big 5 cities of the northeast. How much time have you spent in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York?
Hence why I mentioned "private colleges," of which Ivies like Columbia, UPenn, Cornell, and Princeton and the sisters Bryn Mawr, Barnard, and Vassar I was thinking of. Also, the Mid-Atlantic has strong public school systems such as SUNY and Rutgers...In my opinion, California has strong Public University institutions and private colleges such as Stanford make it a strong contender as well. I personally feel that both California and the Mid Atlantic are strong in this category in different ways, but I certainly understand why someone would disagree.

Since I live in Maryland and have family throughout the state, I've spent plenty of time throughout the state, been to Philadelphia several times, and I've been to NYC a few times. What is your point asking that?

Last edited by biscuit_head; 11-30-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

You could possibly include the SUNY system and state schools in other states(UMass, UConn, Temple, Rutgers, etc) in the Mid Atlantic region.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could possibly include the SUNY system and state schools in other states(UMass, UConn, Temple, Rutgers, etc) in the Mid Atlantic region.
UMass is in New England though

Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
UMass is in New England though
Good catch and so is UConn....Perhaps you could include Penn State, as well as the Universities of Maryland and Delaware instead.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Except the Mid-Atlantic includes the entire DelMarVa peninsula, as well as DC-Baltimore.

And the nerve of someone from California to say ANY other region covers "too much ground" ��
+1, actually...
https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

Old 11-30-2016, 03:58 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
What year is that from? Is that current? Are Delaware, Maryland, and DC really still considered "South"?

Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
What year is that from? Is that current? Are Delaware, Maryland, and DC really still considered "South"?
The Census currently does and has always classified DC, MD, and Delaware as part of the South. Many thought that they would update and reclassify some of these states in the 2000 Census, but it never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City