Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah its the scrubby look of them that does.
Except it isn't a matter of look. Again, keep in mind the difference in variety of coconut palms when making your judgement.

Quote:
Where? Where in Orlando are there abundant coconut palms.
I didn't specify Orlando (just a location further inland, not necessarily at Orlando. I also didn't say that they would be near as abundant as on the coast.

Quote:
Which one's?
Obviously the one's with "IPS" labelled by their screen names.

Quote:
Yes I'm sure. What bias would I have? I already said South Florida has better variety plus it's more lush and tropical.

I find the older, taller one's attractive. Either way they look different than Sabal palms so even if I had a bias your question sure wouldn't indicate it.
Washingtonia's and Sabals, overall, are too similar looking to go around having opposite opinions about them, really. Plus, do you really prefer the "dead-skirt" Washingtonia filifera over the sabal palmetto?

But, I guess a better question to test the bias would be whether or not you find other species of sabal attractive.

Quote:
Ironic though you bring up bias though considering how defensive you are about the Southeast, Yn0hTnA.
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, conventional wisdom put Martin County in southeast FL, Sarasota County in southwest.
Sarasota county can be SW Florida, but according to a survey of Floridians about the territory Central Florida covered, Martin County was included:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Florida#Geography

Old 04-08-2017, 01:40 PM

491 posts, read 473,399 times
The California palms seem to look taller. They're kind of better looking. Also, they build more of them along the side of the major roads and beaches. In Florida, I feel like only few areas make use of the palms, except in hotel areas and luxury home areas. Even in luxury home areas, most of the trees in Florida are other kinds of trees and not even palm. Rarely do I see the really tall palm trees in Florida, though. Maybe it's just me.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
The California palms seem to look taller. They're kind of better looking. Also, they build more of them along the side of the major roads and beaches. In Florida, I feel like only few areas make use of the palms, except in hotel areas and luxury home areas. Even in luxury home areas, most of the trees in Florida are other kinds of trees and not even palm. Rarely do I see the really tall palm trees in Florida, though. Maybe it's just me.
The washintonia robusta used over there is a very tall palm, and grows best in drier climates.

California is less tree-filled than Florida, so the palms stand out more.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Except it isn't a matter of look. Again, keep in mind the difference in variety of coconut palms when making your judgement.
It is, they are on the edge of a climate where they can even survive so they look much scrubbier than truly tropical places.
Quote:
I didn't specify Orlando (just a location further inland, not necessarily at Orlando. I also didn't say that they would be near as abundant as on the coast.
You said they can be found inland in Central Florida. Orlando is inland Central Florida no?
Quote:
Obviously the one's with "IPS" labelled by their screen names.
And anyone can become a member, doesn't mean they are an "expert" though.
Quote:
Washingtonia's and Sabals, overall, are too similar looking to go around having opposite opinions about them, really. Plus, do you really prefer the "dead-skirt" Washingtonia filifera over the sabal palmetto?

But, I guess a better question to test the bias would be whether or not you find other species of sabal attractive.
Maybe to you but they definitely look different to me and others. If they looked so similar then why are you complaining about the "dead-skirt" look? Way to contradict yourself there; "Oh they are too similar to have opposite opinions but Washingtonian's look worse because of the dead skirt..."

Dead-skirts like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tto_forest.jpg

So basically anyone who doesn't like Sabal's are biased in your opinion?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:39 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
The majestic Phoenix Canariensis grows best in California. Just look at the beautiful street of California. FL has them too but they dont look as good.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It is, they are on the edge of a climate where they can even survive so they look much scrubbier than truly tropical places.
Of course that would be the case, Central Florida is subtropical, not tropical. But the point still remains that it is a warm enough subtropical climate for coconut palms to put in some level of growth; the same goes for far coastal South Texas (South Padre, Brownsville, etc).

Quote:
You said they can be found inland in Central Florida. Orlando is inland Central Florida no?
I did say a further inland location (not necessarily as far inland as Orlando). But even at that, here is a coconut in Orlando:
Coconut Palms in east Orlando,FL - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk

Quote:
And anyone can become a member, doesn't mean they are an "expert" though.
They start out as novices, but then they participate in the group, get experienced, and become experts.

Quote:
Maybe to you but they definitely look different to me and others. If they looked so similar then why are you complaining about the "dead-skirt" look? Way to contradict yourself there; "Oh they are too similar to have opposite opinions but Washingtonian's look worse because of the dead skirt..."
Not really. I was speaking on an overall basis when I talked of their similarity; the specific qualities of each palm are what I've accounted for (i.e. dead skirt for washingtonias, which sabals don't make).

Quote:
Dead-skirts like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tto_forest.jpg

So basically anyone who doesn't like Sabal's are biased in your opinion?
No, dead skirts like these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...JEcxaKuocEGOM:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...u_xNljHEm1IcM:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...45hYR1zQcwrUM:

I'm not sure of your reasons for not liking them, but many I've come across that disliked them only did so out of their projection of dislike for "cold hardiness."

Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Sarasota county can be SW Florida, but according to a survey of Floridians about the territory Central Florida covered, Martin County was included:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Florida#Geography
I've always considered Indian River and Manatee to be the 'transitional' counties.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:37 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Of course that would be the case, Central Florida is subtropical, not tropical. But the point still remains that it is a warm enough subtropical climate for coconut palms to put in some level of growth; the same goes for far coastal South Texas (South Padre, Brownsville, etc).
Really impressive, some shorty scrubby looking coconut trees that probably get killed off every 20 or so years....
Quote:
I did say a further inland location (not necessarily as far inland as Orlando). But even at that, here is a coconut in Orlando:
Coconut Palms in east Orlando,FL - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk
And look at how excited all those "bloggers" are about it since it's so rare.
Quote:
They start out as novices, but then they participate in the group, get experienced, and become experts.
Oh ok...maybe C-D should start hanging out certificates or degrees in city/urban planning to its longtime users. All one needs to do is participate in a blog to become an expert according to you....lol
Quote:
Not really. I was speaking on an overall basis when I talked of their similarity; the specific qualities of each palm are what I've accounted for (i.e. dead skirt for washingtonias, which sabals don't make).
So you find washingtonia's just as attractive as sabals then right?
Quote:
I'm not sure of your reasons for not liking them, but many I've come across that disliked them only did so out of their projection of dislike for "cold hardiness."
I don't like the look of them, something about their fronds I guess. Does it really matter what the reason is? I simply don't like the way they look. I don't really get why you take this so personal and have such trouble accepting that some people don't like sabal palm trees, it's really not that serious.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
I like the California ones better they are taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City