Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 05:31 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,755,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
OK, but subways are the fastest and easiest way to get around NYC. Saying you definitely won't be on the subway doesn't make any sense if you want to check out the city like you say you do. Even visitors don't take public transit solely for the views.
The plan is to ride the Uptown Tour Bus for 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 05:32 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,432,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The plan is to ride the Uptown Tour Bus for 2 hours.
So you will only be in NYC for 2 hours?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So you will only be in NYC for 2 hours?
No we will get there around 10am and that will be the first thing we do once we arrive. Then we will do a little shopping and then have dinner along with some more sightseeing and will leave around 10pm or 11pm.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Quote:
No we will get there around 10am and that will be the first thing we do once we arrive. Then we will do a little shopping and then have dinner along with some more sightseeing and will leave around 10pm or 11pm.
How long in Chicago and when?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
How long in Chicago and when?

supposed to be the last weekend in August

Old 05-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
OK but just a day too? Just to offer more in one day is like just the ride from the a airport in NYC and any Big city airport there 2 hours early today + transit? Cuts very short.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
OK but just a day too?
4 days

Old 05-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
4 days
4-days is good for planning a itinerary of sorts for Chicago for sure. There is the L from the airport if not much luggage to haul? You get a bit of the city cheaply. Plus downtown to airport taxi/van sevices great for early morning or overnight flights to catch. They even tell you to get there a couple hours early. A van pick at a hotel then is convenient for your party.
Quote:
If there Aug 19-20? Your in luck for this FREE. Along the cities North shore lakefront. Ground zero North Ave Beach.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...watershow.html

Last edited by DavePa; 05-14-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,260 times
Quote:
Warnings to the OP exactly. Why tourist are not seen as "happy to see ya in Manhattan" you get in my way.... and top to look up? Fa'geta'bout'it if you can't hide behind something they can't push. I make too long a post that don't get read on the comments I made in Manhattan streets.

If the OP is visiting the Low-Rise neighborhoods as you call them. Then recommendations on them are welcome I'm sure... If Midtown to Lower-Manhattan and the subway use? Add shuttered stores and a look of being unsafe and bags of trash on streets standard. Aesthetics are better to be realized and WARNINGS before one goes. I found these warnings and negative aesthetic aspects? Rare in downtown Chicago. Few claim any unsafe feeling. But still a Big city (very small when NYC is mentioned) and Chicago gets nods for being cleaner and greener and more open vistas not merely by Central Park in NYC.

I did give some WARNINGS in a previous post. Especially not expect a Manhattan of Action-movies on street-level.

I'd say the OP is hitting the key parts and some walking especially through Midtown. So RECOMMENDATIONS are not just great to seek. BUT WARNINGS NECESSARY and for some surpasses expectations and for some it gets tarnished from being a URBAN DISNEY-ESQUE EMERALD CITY.

* Your Warnings prove it as a resident.
I'm sorry, I know this is directed at me but I honestly don't understand any of this. I've read over it 4 times and I can't understand what you're saying. I don't know if you're asking me a question or what......
I don't know how to respond.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 05-14-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm sorry, I know this is directed at me but I honestly don't understand any of this. I've read over it 4 times and I can't understand what you're saying. I don't know if you're asking me a question or what......
I don't know how to respond.
Perhaps it is best to merely help the OP with his day in Manhattan. The rest fa'geta'bout'it then. I make statements. I only asked the OP how long in Chicago his stay will be and when. I got my answer. 4-days in Chicago the end of August. Plenty for such a SMALL core. No question mark. Plenty of links can help the OP with a itinerary. I gave links and suggestions if on the cheap.

You made it clear how New Yorkers expect tourist to behave. Get'outa'my'way !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
2. I can see you've clearly never had the "pleasure" of working in Midtown Manhattan. People don't get mad at tourists for no reason. Any tourists in Midtown Manhattan need to BE AWARE of their surroundings, specifically the other people around them. Don't block the sidewalks. People need to get around. Pull over to the side if you need to stop. Treat the sidewalks of Midtown like a highway or busy street. Look where you're going and don't raise your arm up or point to something without looking first because you will clothesline a bunch of people and smack someone in the face. I have seen this happen so many times, lol.
When riding the subway, use proper train etiquette and don't give money or cheer for the showtime people because you're just encouraging them to do that **** even more.
Very flattering for sure. I guess subway musicians are just like tourist who stop to sightsee. In the way and as trolls.... not to be fed. Guess Chicago, heavily restricting them are right..... but the homeless the can't.

But just stay out of the locals way, and just take a tour bus to keep the streets clear.
Welcome to NYC. Ya'all'come'back .... soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City