Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charleston or San Diego?
Charleston, SC 26 38.24%
San Diego, CA 42 61.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

Of course San Diego is going to have more, it's much much larger. We're talking 3 million people vs 780,000.

San Diego wins #1 easily because of the larger population and presence of more and larger colleges. That said, Charleston is a growing hotbed for young professionals and young families. Charleston was the #1 metro a few years ago in terms of college grad growth according to Deseret. SD will have more young people in sheer numbers, but Charleston doesn't slack.

As for #2, IDK that much about San Diego, but Charleston is pretty walkable and very bike-friendly for a southeastern city. A free trolley system also services downtown. The issue with walking is humidity in the summertime. Can be oppressive.

I'd say #3 is a tie. Charleston has the beach, a harbor, a lake, 4 rivers, city and state parks, and a national forest. Charleston is very dog friendly and actually has a few pet festivals. San Diego has the beach, bay, Balboa Park, and mountain activities. You're not short on recreation in either city.

I think #5 is close as well. With topography, San Diego has the edge for having beach and mountains. Charleston wins in architecture. Skyline is really subjective. San Diego obviously has a larger skyline, but "lack of" skyline is something that Charleston actually gets props for. So it's just what you personally prefer.

As for #4, again I don't know much about San Diego, but Charleston does have some "ran down" areas, but those are gentrifying, avoidable, and there are master plans in place for entire communities. Charleston has some of the prettiest and well kept areas in the southeast. Charleston in general is pretty well kept, but I'm sure it's not as sterile as San Diego, and there are some places that definitely show their age.

IMO it all boils down to size. Charleston and San Diego will both offer what you want, but again, the city of San Diego is 1.4 million people, Charleston is 140,000. SD will offer more, cost more, but also probably pay more, and there will be more you'll have to put up with in terms of traffic, crowds, etc. Coming from Pennsylvania, Charleston would probably be an easier transition, it's still east coast, you'd be closer to home, and SC is a haven for Pennsylvanians, but the locals are also nice, so you'd make friends easily.

Good luck, you'll enjoy either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Leaving COL out of it? San Diego, easily. Not even much room for comparison. Though, you may like the slower pace of Charleston, and it's core does have more historic charm.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Of course San Diego is going to have more, it's much much larger. We're talking 3 million people vs 780,000.

San Diego wins #1 easily because of the larger population and presence of more and larger colleges. That said, Charleston is a growing hotbed for young professionals and young families. Charleston was the #1 metro a few years ago in terms of college grad growth according to Deseret. SD will have more young people in sheer numbers, but Charleston doesn't slack.

As for #2, IDK that much about San Diego, but Charleston is pretty walkable and very bike-friendly for a southeastern city. A free trolley system also services downtown. The issue with walking is humidity in the summertime. Can be oppressive.

I'd say #3 is a tie. Charleston has the beach, a harbor, a lake, 4 rivers, city and state parks, and a national forest. Charleston is very dog friendly and actually has a few pet festivals. San Diego has the beach, bay, Balboa Park, and mountain activities. You're not short on recreation in either city.

I think #5 is close as well. With topography, San Diego has the edge for having beach and mountains. Charleston wins in architecture. Skyline is really subjective. San Diego obviously has a larger skyline, but "lack of" skyline is something that Charleston actually gets props for. So it's just what you personally prefer.

As for #4, again I don't know much about San Diego, but Charleston does have some "ran down" areas, but those are gentrifying, avoidable, and there are master plans in place for entire communities. Charleston has some of the prettiest and well kept areas in the southeast. Charleston in general is pretty well kept, but I'm sure it's not as sterile as San Diego, and there are some places that definitely show their age.

IMO it all boils down to size. Charleston and San Diego will both offer what you want, but again, the city of San Diego is 1.4 million people, Charleston is 140,000. SD will offer more, cost more, but also probably pay more, and there will be more you'll have to put up with in terms of traffic, crowds, etc. Coming from Pennsylvania, Charleston would probably be an easier transition, it's still east coast, you'd be closer to home, and SC is a haven for Pennsylvanians, but the locals are also nice, so you'd make friends easily.

Good luck, you'll enjoy either place.
Very thorough - thanks! I do plan to visit both but feel like the slightly more urban vibe will make me favor San Diego in the end

Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalEhBrent View Post
San Diego and it's not even close!
This

Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Charleston is neat town, but it does not compare in any way to San Diego. The only reasons you would choose Charleston is COL and the fact that it's a MUCH smaller city.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:27 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
In my experience, most young adults living in the Charleston area are married with children by age 25. Overall, I would say that it's a very family-oriented metropolitan area, which is most likely due to the fact that it's a very affordable up-and-coming metropolitan area and, subsequently, highly attractive to young families from more expensive areas of the country (e.g., the Northeast, Florida, California, etc.).

If you're searching for a city in the Southeast with more of a party atmosphere that places less emphasis on marrying and settling down early in life, then I suggest either Atlanta, Orlando or Tampa with Atlanta, of course, coming out on top due to economy and culture.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my experience, most young adults living in the Charleston area are married with children by age 25. Overall, I would say that it's a very family-oriented metropolitan area, which is most likely due to the fact that it's a very affordable up-and-coming metropolitan area and, subsequently, highly attractive to young families from more expensive areas of the country (e.g., the Northeast, Florida, California, etc.).
Charleston is family-friendly but you're greatly exaggerating with this "married by age 25" thing.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charleston is family-friendly but you're greatly exaggerating with this "married by age 25" thing.
This. By 30, yes definitely, but 25? No.

Charleston is a great place to start a family, but it's not "very" affordable at all. Coming from Cali, sure you'll pay less in rent, but you're gonna be paying the same, if not more, in groceries for instance.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This. By 30, yes definitely, but 25? No.

Charleston is a great place to start a family, but it's not "very" affordable at all. Coming from Cali, sure you'll pay less in rent, but you're gonna be paying the same, if not more, in groceries for instance.
A very close friend of mine from college lives in Charleston, and I've been to visit her a few times.

When in Charleston, I'm always shocked by the grocery prices, which are noticeably more expensive than in California. The produce quality seems to be a bit lower in Charleston, too.

Also, you can't forget the much higher utility costs in Charleston relative to San Diego, either.

Of course, auto insurance premiums are highly dependent on your coverage and home address; however, I'm willing to bet that, on average, auto insurance premiums are lower in San Diego than Charleston, given that San Diego has some of the lowest rates of major California cities.

Some food for thought.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A very close friend of mine from college lives in Charleston, and I've been to visit her a few times.

When in Charleston, I'm always shocked by the grocery prices, which are noticeably more expensive than in California. The produce quality seems to be a bit lower in Charleston, too.

Also, you can't forget the much higher utility costs in Charleston relative to San Diego, either.

Of course, auto insurance premiums are highly dependent on your coverage and home address; however, I'm willing to bet that, on average, auto insurance premiums are lower in San Diego than Charleston, given that San Diego has some of the lowest rates of major California cities.

Some food for thought.
That was my point. Charleston is still cheaper than California, but the affordability is not the big reason its popular with families. Its cheap by coastal California standards, but in terms of that "everything is cheaper in the south" stereotype, its really on the higher end.

Yeah I dont know why groceries cost what they do, but it could be much worse. Theyre not as expensive as you think, but they should be cheaper. The sales taxes plays a role in that. Same with utilities. Its not "much" higher, but of course youll have to run the A/C more.

Charleston is affordable, it just isnt "very affordable", unless you want to move deep into the sticks or 50 miles from the ocean.

But to the original point, most people definitely arent parents by 25.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 05-18-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City