Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 8,758 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are torn between picking seattle vs minnetonka area. We are hoping CD forum members can help us decide. Here is the current situation we are in...

We are in the process of accepting an offer from a company. we can choose either Seattle or Minnesota. Pay would be same irrespective of location, i believe.

Background: we are family of 3 (Myself and wife, both working, and a 2 yr old) of Asian(Indian) origin.
Moving from : Fairfield county(CT)
Finances: We make about 300K+ but not really big spenders.

Preferences (mostly in preference order):

Good school district(s)
Quality of living
Family friendly
Progressive area (Nothing to do with politics. We just want to be in a place where everyone is accepted and my US born son should be seen as US citizen like everyone else)
Taxes
Quality housing
Weather
Near by Costco(Addicted ) and Indian grocery store
Avenues to save tax free for College etc..

Plans to rent in the beginning and buy a house bit later.

I hope this will provide enough details for you to provide an informed advice.

Thanks in advance...

** Sorry for multi posting. first time poster on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:02 PM

7,741 posts, read 6,489,287 times
Guess it depends on whether you prefer to be by the ocean/mountains or lakes. Seattle is of course a big city, Minnetonka is an area just outside the Twin Cities, so while not that urban in itself its close enough to the urban centre of Minnesota that it doesn't make as much of a difference.

Minnesota is very accepting, and more diverse than people who never been seem to think (at least around the cities). I personally prefer the climate of Minnesota over the Pacific Northwest. Especially if you're gonna be in Minnetonka. The winters allow you to ice skate on the lakes, the summer... well if you like boating or anything related with water, they're perfect as they're hot enough to go in the water but they're still cooler than most places further south. Seattle is a lot of gloomy overcast skies and rain. Winters are mild but more damp, summers are pleasant but in my opinion, not hot enough. It depends on what you prefer. I'm sure cold weather isn't too bad for you if you're considering either place.

Really, depends on your lifestyle. Both places are great, though I haven't been to Seattle yet, seldom here a complaint. I was up at Lake Minnetonka just a few weeks ago and its a gorgeous area, though one of the more expensive places to live in Minnesota, as there's a high demand to live close to the water.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM

93,737 posts, read 124,459,305 times
If you want Minnesota, it appears that the 2 school districts in the state with the highest Indian percentages, Eden Prairie to the south and Wayzata to the north, sandwich Minnetonka. Both are very good school districts as well.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more information.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,417,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt v View Post
Hi All,

We are torn between picking seattle vs minnetonka area. We are hoping CD forum members can help us decide. Here is the current situation we are in...

We are in the process of accepting an offer from a company. we can choose either Seattle or Minnesota. Pay would be same irrespective of location, i believe.

Background: we are family of 3 (Myself and wife, both working, and a 2 yr old) of Asian(Indian) origin.
Moving from : Fairfield county(CT)
Finances: We make about 300K+ but not really big spenders.

Preferences (mostly in preference order):

Good school district(s)
Quality of living
Family friendly
Progressive area (Nothing to do with politics. We just want to be in a place where everyone is accepted and my US born son should be seen as US citizen like everyone else)
Taxes
Quality housing
Weather
Near by Costco(Addicted ) and Indian grocery store
Avenues to save tax free for College etc..

Plans to rent in the beginning and buy a house bit later.

I hope this will provide enough details for you to provide an informed advice.

Thanks in advance...

** Sorry for multi posting. first time poster on CD
well i think Washington State has no state income tax so that is a consideration.I dont know if you would like the constantly cloudy,wet, and gloomy Seattle climate.I dont know if Seattle has a large indian population or not but wikipedia said 0.8 percent but idk if thats right.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well i think Washington State has no state income tax so that is a consideration.I dont know if you would like the constantly cloudy,wet, and gloomy Seattle climate.I dont know if Seattle has a large indian population or not but wikipedia said 0.8 percent but idk if thats right.
Most of the Asian (particularly Indian) population lives east of Seattle.

Bellevue is over 27% Asian: http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/pdf/PCD...c_Profiles.pdf

Redmond WA is also full of Indians (note this article is several years old): https://patch.com/washington/redmond...drup9474ad98b8

Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,417,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post

Bellevue is over 27% Asian: http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/pdf/PCD...c_Profiles.pdf

Redmond WA is also full of Indians (note this article is several years old): https://patch.com/washington/redmond...drup9474ad98b8
Okay i see....then Bellevue may work for OP.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post

Just looked at the home prices in these towns. i am not sure of we can afford that much. spending 50% my our income on home is bit too much to swallow .

did the salaries raise enough to cover the 100% increase in home prices?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Guess it depends on whether you prefer to be by the ocean/mountains or lakes. Seattle is of course a big city, Minnetonka is an area just outside the Twin Cities, so while not that urban in itself its close enough to the urban centre of Minnesota that it doesn't make as much of a difference.

Minnesota is very accepting, and more diverse than people who never been seem to think (at least around the cities). I personally prefer the climate of Minnesota over the Pacific Northwest. Especially if you're gonna be in Minnetonka. The winters allow you to ice skate on the lakes, the summer... well if you like boating or anything related with water, they're perfect as they're hot enough to go in the water but they're still cooler than most places further south. Seattle is a lot of gloomy overcast skies and rain. Winters are mild but more damp, summers are pleasant but in my opinion, not hot enough. It depends on what you prefer. I'm sure cold weather isn't too bad for you if you're considering either place.

Really, depends on your lifestyle. Both places are great, though I haven't been to Seattle yet, seldom here a complaint. I was up at Lake Minnetonka just a few weeks ago and its a gorgeous area, though one of the more expensive places to live in Minnesota, as there's a high demand to live close to the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want Minnesota, it appears that the 2 school districts in the state with the highest Indian percentages, Eden Prairie to the south and Wayzata to the north, sandwich Minnetonka. Both are very good school districts as well.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more information.
Minnesota has everything that we are looking for, except weather and taxes. weather is not too much of concern but that ~10 upper tax tier is hard to swallow. between 35+% fed, ~10% state and ~10% SS and FICA, i feel like working hard to grow in career is less rewarding. want us rather spend time with family etc, i guess..

Old 05-22-2017, 05:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,891,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt v View Post
Just looked at the home prices in these towns. i am not sure of we can afford that much. spending 50% my our income on home is bit too much to swallow .

did the salaries raise enough to cover the 100% increase in home prices?
If Bellevue and Redmond is too expensive, then look South to Renton and Kent. Stick to the eastern portions of those cities as that's where the good schools/districts are.

The housing market situation in the Seattle area is very challenging though.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,392,325 times
IMO You are picking between 2 great areas. I would love living in either of these areas. I absolutely love Seattle and Minnetonka areas. And I love the attitude of the people in these areas as well.

Seattle is breathtakingly beautiful with an awesome urban core, abundant outdoor sports, and some of the coolest nature ecosystems around - alpine, rainforest, ocean... I love it there.

You're not going to be able to change Minnesota weather and taxes, but is there a possibility you could learn to appreciate it? Minnesota is beautiful in all seasons. After living in that area, I've come to love skiing, skating, snowmobiling, winter hikes... and the sport of hockey. You would be in the youth hockey epicenter if any of your kids have an inkling for the sport. Some of the best hockey players in the world trained in this area!

Also, though taxes are high in Minnesota, services are good, such as some of the best public schools in the U.S. I remember when my healthy friend had her healthy baby and the community nurse would just make house calls periodically to see if she needed any help - apparently this new mother program was funded by taxes. Like that would ever happen in my town. The MN communities are very school/family supportive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City