Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
San Jose 20 15.75%
Seattle 107 84.25%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 02:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
According to US. News and world report: San Jose has the highest quality of life.
Most of the people who chose to chime in on your two choices of cities to compare, must disagree. San Jose is maybe fine in your book, but for most of the rest of us, it's...meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 03:15 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
People can't afford to live in San Jose....so what if someone bought a home for 100 million. That doesn't make the city more desirable.
Youre right.

San Jose is also more affluent, more diverse, has a lower crime, better schools, a far more appealling climate, incredible career opportunities, etc.

Apparently you werent aware that those are very desirable things to lots of people.

I mean really.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
That being said, I don't think Seattle is any slouch when it comes to being desirable.

As of May:

-Fastest growing large city in the US by percentage increase
-One of the most quickly densifying
-Largest percentage increase in home values
-Highest rate of bidding wars for said homes of large cities in the country

While still not as incredibly expensive as SJ in general, median prices for new homes in the city are approaching $800k; the east side of Lake Washington is approaching $900k.

If we are talking about city proper, SJ is more affluent and has better shopping/schools, sure. Seattle proper boasts a world class research University, eclectic neighborhoods with their own character (does SJ have anything like Capitol Hill, Ballard, Fremont, the U-District, the beaches of West Seattle and Lake Washington?) Honestly curious - I did some searches on Google maps and didn't see any sizable town centers outside of downtown proper.

I'd say Seattle is doing okay on the career opportunity front as well. If it weren't, the bullet points above would make little sense.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
That being said, I don't think Seattle is any slouch when it comes to being desirable.

As of May:

While still not as incredibly expensive as SJ in general, median prices for new homes in the city are approaching $800k; the east side of Lake Washington is approaching $900k.

If we are talking about city proper, SJ is more affluent and has better shopping/schools, sure. Seattle proper boasts a world class research University, eclectic neighborhoods with their own character (does SJ have anything like Capitol Hill, Ballard, Fremont, the U-District, the beaches of West Seattle and Lake Washington?) Honestly curious - I did some searches on Google maps and didn't see any sizable town centers outside of downtown proper.

I'd say Seattle is doing okay on the career opportunity front as well. If it weren't, the bullet points above would make little sense.
Totally agree. Seattle is actually quite lovely.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Youre right.

San Jose is also more affluent, more diverse, has a lower crime, better schools, a far more appealling climate, incredible career opportunities, etc.

Apparently you werent aware that those are very desirable things to lots of people.

I mean really.

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/06/29...wn-the-jungle/

I'm also aware of the undesirable aspects...to lots of people. The article states that gainfully employed people were homeless, because they couldn't afford the exorbitant housing expenses. Please don't gloss this over...this problem has not gone away.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/06/29...wn-the-jungle/

I'm also aware of the undesirable aspects...to lots of people. The article states that gainfully employed people were homeless, because they couldn't afford the exorbitant housing expenses. Please don't gloss this over...this problem has not gone away.
Right. Every city has good and bad. Welcome to the world Captain Obvious.
King County has 11,600 homeless.

But that doesnt change what I said:

There is nothing even remotely innacurate or deceptive about my statement

Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post

As of May:

I don't think Seattle is a bad city. In fact, there are a lot of other cities that are bad. Seattle is a good city. Seattle has a nice natural scenery, iconic landmark(Space Needles), fast growing and thriving downtown, one of nation's high tech hub and two sport teams. It's also a highly ranked city by surveys, just don't confuse it that it can go toe to toe with San Jose. It(Seattle) can take on Austin and many other cities. San Jose is the wrong city to mess with.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I don't think Seattle is a bad city. In fact, there are a lot of other cities that are bad. Seattle is a good city. Seattle has a nice natural scenery, iconic landmark(Space Needles), fast growing and thriving downtown, one of nation's high tech hub and two sport teams. It's also a highly ranked city by surveys, just don't confuse it that it can go toe to toe with San Jose. It(Seattle) can take on Austin and many other cities. San Jose is the wrong city to mess with.
Ugghhhhh.......this is getting deep. I'm out.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns...why do u think? Hello? Its expensive AF to live in Santa Clara County. King County is dirt cheap by comparison.

The Median Home Price, April 2017
Santa Clara County, CA $1.160 Million
King County, WA $625,000

Current Sales & Price Statistics
More records fall: Median home price hits $722,000 in Seattle and $880,000 on Eastside | The Seattle Times
I cited the housing costs in the post you quoted. You have acknowledged the NIMBY problems in the Bay Area. Both the Seattle and SF Bay Area have housing cost issues but one is on another level entirely. Seattle has its NIMBYs too but still able to push way more projects through. You can be cute with the argument that housing is so high because SJ is "so desirable" but the truth of the matter is that's just one piece of the puzzle. There is just so much money floating around. Thousands of tech workers and many companies are relocating without batting an eye to comparatively lower cost areas. The truth is it would be better for those other areas if they stayed in the Bay Area since it pushes up housing costs elsewhere, but that's not the reality. Maybe selfish homeowners in Seattle would like for it to be the Bay Area as they stand to gain personally from it, but nobody else does.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Maybe selfish homeowners in Seattle would like for it to be the Bay Area as they stand to gain personally from it
Don't worry, it wont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City