Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs. Boston sports fans
Philly 14 48.28%
Boston 10 34.48%
Depends 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:02 PM

311 posts, read 313,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No NFL teams have world wide fan bases. Only the Lakers, Bulls and Celtics really have worldwide fanbses because the NBA is actually popular worldwide.
Eh I think even the NBA is only marginally popular worldwide as well. China I think for sure and some other spots but not everywhere. Go to India and people barely know LeBron James much less many others. Now ask them about soccer, tennis, or cricket players and it's a different story lol. But I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 PM

311 posts, read 313,835 times
I'd definitely give Boston the advantage for baseball and Philly for hockey. Basketball imo is a toss and football I'd say goes to Philly though it's close. Overall concerning the vibe of the cities' fans as a whole, regardless of specific sports, I think I'd give an edge to Philly, though Boston's for sure no slouch.
Right now it's interesting coz the dynamics are diametrically opposite for the two cities. Boston has won 10 championships in the new millennium and threatens for more while Philly has won one in the last THIRTY-FOUR years (unheard of for a major market [Philly's fourth largest]). In that same 34-year span, NY, Chicago, Boston, the Bay Area, and LA have all won at least TEN major championships. As a Philly fan, that might be comical if it weren't so tragically pathetic lol.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Eh I think even the NBA is only marginally popular worldwide as well. China I think for sure and some other spots but not everywhere. Go to India and people barely know LeBron James much less many others. Now ask them about soccer, tennis, or cricket players and it's a different story lol. But I digress.
The NBA is very popular worldwide. It is by good margin the most popular league/sport of the big 4. The order is

1.NBA

2. MLB

3. NHL

4. NFL

Old 06-02-2017, 07:36 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
No city can touch Dallas Cowboys fans. It's a worldwide fan-base.
Yes, most cannot touch how obnoxious they are. Considering Dallas hasn't done anything in 21 years, their confidence and boasting is laughable.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
fandom:
sox >> eagles >>> celtics > pats >> phillies > sixers > bruins == flyers ?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 5,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
fandom:
sox >> eagles >>> celtics > pats >> phillies > sixers > bruins == flyers ?

Someone doesn't read attendance figures. Absolutely zero way the Flyers are last. They're with the Red Sox and Eagles.

Thanks for the laugh though.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I'd definitely give Boston the advantage for baseball and Philly for hockey. Basketball imo is a toss and football I'd say goes to Philly though it's close. Overall concerning the vibe of the cities' fans as a whole, regardless of specific sports, I think I'd give an edge to Philly, though Boston's for sure no slouch.
Right now it's interesting coz the dynamics are diametrically opposite for the two cities. Boston has won 10 championships in the new millennium and threatens for more while Philly has won one in the last THIRTY-FOUR years (unheard of for a major market [Philly's fourth largest]). In that same 34-year span, NY, Chicago, Boston, the Bay Area, and LA have all won at least TEN major championships. As a Philly fan, that might be comical if it weren't so tragically pathetic lol.

Boston's success masks it's fairweather attendance. It's definitely Philly.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City