Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

As far as views so, ATL wins that as well. Bobby Shmurda's and Young MA's biggest singles to date (those are the only rappers from NYC worth mentioning) 353Million and 209Million views respectively. Bobby Shmurda's video on Youtube for nearly 3 years, and Young MA's video has been on Youtube for just over a year.

Rae Srummerd's Black Beatles, has 520 Million views, and has been on Youtube for exactly 9 months today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Rap, yes but it's not the same quality, originality or even "hip hop".

Hollywood, no. Studios all over the US and Canada.
Rap is an element of Hip-hop.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 PM

911 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Black Beatles isn't even a hip-hop song, what's wrong with you bro? Lol you're clinging to anything at this point.

Just because some black kids make a song who are based in Atlanta, doesn't mean everything they do is credited by hip-hop. That's clearly a pop song, not even close to hip-hop. The main premise of the song is a melody lullaby, and you're using that as an example of hip-hop success? It's a POP success.

Shmurda and Young MA dropped straight hard-hitting hip-hop tracks and garnered that much attention. Put an example of the same caliber, then I might consider it a fair comparison.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Black Beatles isn't even a hip-hop song, what's wrong with you bro? Lol you're clinging to anything at this point.

Just because some black kids make a song who are based in Atlanta, doesn't mean everything they do is credited by hip-hop. That's clearly a pop song, not even close to hip-hop. The main premise of the song is a melody lullaby, and you're using that as an example of hip-hop success? It's a POP success.

Shmurda and Young MA dropped straight hard-hitting hip-hop tracks and garnered that much attention. Put an example of the same caliber, then I might consider it a fair comparison.
MK54, you're cool people, but I'm gonna have to challenge the ruling on the field. If anything, all 3 songs fall into the same category. If the rappers in the song are rapping, then it's rap. It wasn't 808's and Heartbreaks by any stretch.

Young MA moaning all over the single is a "hard-hitting hip-hop" track? Then again, it could be Hard Hitting..

Bobby Shmurda, no way. If that song came from an Atlanta artist, most of these posters would be calling it trap music.

Let our region enjoy hip-hop dominance in peace.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 PM

911 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Even so, Shmurda and Young MA has more hip-hop elements being emphasized than in Rae Sremmurd's song. Gucci Mane's verse was unwarranted and no one wants to listen to Slim Jimmy rap lol. They just weren't the focal point of the song, so it's moreso a pop song with rap features. Young Thug's new album isn't hip-hop or rap either, but he'll still be credited as a hip-hop artist for some reason. Just say the man is a singer, already. It's clear as day the direction he's going, and it doesn't include hip-hop. I'd respect a lot of these artists A LOT more if they stopped dragging hip-hop name around the mud for publicity and image, saying blasphemous nonsense like "I'm gonna be the next Tupac" oh so conveniently around Tupac's birthday and when his album was about to drop. Hmmm. Definitely an Atlanta thing to do lol.

Young Thug's a good artist, just not a good rapper. Nothing wrong with that. Rae Sremmurd are good singers/performers, just not good rappers. Nothing wrong with that. As black artists, I welcome the diversity in sound. Just stop crediting all these variations to hip-hop, because it's not hip-hop to begin with; and I know they're doing it for noise marketing because the market is well aware of the hip-hop collision going on and it brings them attention. They're slick.

Anyways, at the same time, all 3 songs reached success not from its hip-hop technicalities, but social media. They just happened to go viral, can't really say it has much to do with anything other than Black Beatles from mannequin challenge and Shmurda making a Puff Daddy dance popular again and Young MA "moaning all over the single".

Just thought using views was a bit of a stretch, when views can be attributed to anything but the actual song or where its origins are from. Age of the internet, man, it's wild like that. Anything can go viral.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Even so, Shmurda and Young MA has more hip-hop elements being emphasized than in Rae Sremmurd's song. Gucci Mane's verse was unwarranted and no one wants to listen to Slim Jimmy rap lol. They just weren't the focal point of the song, so it's moreso a pop song with rap features. Young Thug's new album isn't hip-hop or rap either, but he'll still be credited as a hip-hop artist for some reason. Just say the man is a singer, already. It's clear as day the direction he's going, and it doesn't include hip-hop. I'd respect a lot of these artists A LOT more if they stopped dragging hip-hop name around the mud for publicity and image, saying blasphemous nonsense like "I'm gonna be the next Tupac" oh so conveniently around Tupac's birthday and when his album was about to drop. Hmmm. Definitely an Atlanta thing to do lol.

Young Thug's a good artist, just not a good rapper. Nothing wrong with that. Rae Sremmurd are good singers/performers, just not good rappers. Nothing wrong with that. As black artists, I welcome the diversity in sound. Just stop crediting all these variations to hip-hop, because it's not hip-hop to begin with; and I know they're doing it for noise marketing because the market is well aware of the hip-hop collision going on and it brings them attention. They're slick.

Anyways, at the same time, all 3 songs reached success not from its hip-hop technicalities, but social media. They just happened to go viral, can't really say it has much to do with anything other than Black Beatles from mannequin challenge and Shmurda making a Puff Daddy dance popular again and Young MA "moaning all over the single".

Just thought using views was a bit of a stretch, when views can be attributed to anything but the actual song or where its origins are from. Age of the internet, man, it's wild like that. Anything can go viral.
Young Thug is garbage and I'm sure everyone would agree.

What were the "hip-hop" that were "Emphasized" in Boddy Shmurda, and Young MA's singles? I actually think Black Beatles had a better flow than both Bobby Shmurda and Young MA. Lyrics weren't the focal point in any of the 3 singles to be completely honest. I'll say Black Beatles was the best song of the 3.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Rap is an element of Hip-hop.
True dat. The big difference between Atlanta's uprising and NYCs is that NYC was truly organic and homegrown groups. Atlanta is central to the southern region rap uprising because a lot of artist like Black Beattles are transplants (originally from Tupelo, Mississippi). I would even give more credit to Memphis "hip hop" as the original Dirty South genre of music that influenced a lot of the southern region, even Atlanta.

No matter how it evolved, Atlanta is now the focal point of rap music but it'll never compare to the heavy influence of early hip hop out of NYC.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
True dat. The big difference between Atlanta's uprising and NYCs is that NYC was truly organic and homegrown groups. Atlanta is central to the southern region rap uprising because a lot of artist like Black Beattles are transplants (originally from Tupelo, Mississippi). I would even give more credit to Memphis "hip hop" as the original Dirty South genre of music that influenced a lot of the southern region, even Atlanta.

No matter how it evolved, Atlanta is now the focal point of rap music but it'll never compare to the heavy influence of early hip hop out of NYC.
Atlanta had organic homegrown groups such as the Dungeon Family, which were multiple groups that started in the Basement of one of their houses, hence the name Dungeon, and they were all successful, and are still putting out music to this very day. That was when Atlanta was ATLANTA. Dirty south is the region of the rap from all of these different cities in the south. Houston, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Memphis is all dirty south because its all southern. Anything from Baltimore to Brownsville, TX is gonna be the Dirty South.

It's impossible to put a "one style should fit all" label on such a massive region. People flock to Atlanta because it is the epicenter of hip-hop today, but the door is wide open for anywhere in the south to get on. The inmates are running the Asylum.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Lololololololololololol
At this thread.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

Eh. Miami and Houston has much to say about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City