Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:27 PM

178 posts, read 146,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If we included singers, then Atlanta will RUN away with this debate even faster than the lightening quick speed it's running away in Hip-hop.
Which is why you noticed its not veered toward that direction for obvious reasons.

Hip hop has been influenced by Atlanta and its just not debatable. It just has and is.
The 90's couldnt have been the 90's without Atlanta influenced.

Oh btw somebody said earlier that this is the "era like Disco". Were not many of the original Dj's hail from Disco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Desiigner doesn't think so. He got broads in Atlanta. Don't forget that.
Desiigner is wack, he mumbles like most artist from Atlanta (or the new Artist in general), I remember when i first listened to Panda, I though it was Future. New York's hip-hop history alone trumps what Atlanta has today. ATL does not produce alot of artist that have lasting impressions/staying power, not to extent of New York (Jay Z, Biggie, Wu Tang, G-Unit, Nas, Murder Inc., Papoose etc.), the only 5(6) ATL artist I think of is Ludacris, Outcast, Young Jeezy, Future & T.I., which are some of my top artist, but I dont think they are better than the artist from New York, even though some of them have not dropped an album in years. Now, I will admit Atlanta has made major strides in regards to R&B, but hip hop is not taken very serious, like it is in New York or the West Coast. Theses areas have the lyrics, beats and most important the IMAGE, its practically ingrained in the culture there . If you want to look at sales and radio, then I would say ATL is on top, but you guys produce to many one-hit wonders and lyrically they are not there. Not that Houston does any better, but I appreciate the local scene here, just don't think it can compete with the East Coast though...(even though we do have Kirko Bangs & Travis Scott)..

CURRENTLY the West Coast has it now IMO, they are making good music like Knxwledge, Kid Ink, Anderson.Pakk, NxWorries, Ty Dollar Sign (i like him, as a producer more than a rapper), Kendrick Lamar, YG, Wiz. Ill take these rappers over the ones from the ATL any-day..Even bringing up old school from the West Coast like NWA (Ice Cube, Easy E, Dr. Dre), Snoop, Ice-T, Xzibit, Nate Dogg etcc. these artist have made lasting impressions in the industry. I dont want you to think I'm dissing ATL, but I just cant take most of the rappers there seriously, when most of them cant even rap, with the exception from the ones I mentioned.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Desiigner is wack, he mumbles like most artist from Atlanta (or the new Artist in general), I remember when i first listened to Panda, I though it was Future. New York's hip-hop history alone trumps what Atlanta has today. ATL does not produce alot of artist that have lasting impressions/staying power, not to extent of New York (Jay Z, Biggie, Wu Tang, G-Unit, Nas, Murder Inc., Papoose etc.), the only 5(6) ATL artist I think of is Ludacris, Outcast, Young Jeezy, Future & T.I., which are some of my top artist, but I dont think they are better than the artist from New York, even though some of them have not dropped an album in years. Now, I will admit Atlanta has made major strides in regards to R&B, but hip hop is not taken very serious, like it is in New York or the West Coast. Theses areas have the lyrics, beats and most important the IMAGE, its practically ingrained in the culture there . If you want to look at sales and radio, then I would say ATL is on top, but you guys produce to many one-hit wonders and lyrically they are not there. Not that Houston does any better, but I appreciate the local scene here, just don't think it can compete with the East Coast though...(even though we do have Kirko Bangs & Travis Scott)..

CURRENTLY the West Coast has it now IMO, they are making good music like Knxwledge, Kid Ink, Anderson.Pakk, NxWorries, Ty Dollar Sign (i like him, as a producer more than a rapper), Kendrick Lamar, YG, Wiz. Ill take these rappers over the ones from the ATL any-day..Even bringing up old school from the West Coast like NWA (Ice Cube, Easy E, Dr. Dre), Snoop, Ice-T, Xzibit, Nate Dogg etcc. these artist have made lasting impressions in the industry. I dont want you to think I'm dissing ATL, but I just cant take most of the rappers there seriously, when most of them cant even rap, with the exception from the ones I mentioned.
You do realize that NYC is like 10x larger than Atlanta?Obviously more will come from there if not for that reason but because most of the record companies are there or L.A.

You say one hit wonders but thats far from true.
,Gucci mane,TLC,Lil John ,Ceelo,Waka Flaka,etc

They may not have as many that have been around as those from NYC but again.look how big NYC is.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:

That's partly the reason for NYC's demise. As I've stated before, NYC's image in hiphop us outdated. You hear the slang coming out of NYC, and it doesn't sound cool anymore. Troy Ave sounds brain dead, Desiigner, who's turning out to be a one hit wonder, is a knock-off Future; Bobby Shmurda is a one hit wonder; Young MA, is veering into the One hit wonder direction. Nobody else from NYC is really worth memtioning. NYC is trying to copy Atlanta's formula and it still isn't making waves.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:17 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
If we included singers, then Atlanta will RUN away with this debate even faster than the lightening quick speed it's running away in Hip-hop.
Atlanta is winning the poll?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
You do realize that NYC is like 10x larger than Atlanta?Obviously more will come from there if not for that reason but because most of the record companies are there or L.A.

You say one hit wonders but thats far from true.
,Gucci mane,TLC,Lil John ,Ceelo,Waka Flaka,etc

They may not have as many that have been around as those from NYC but again.look how big NYC is.
I realize the size of NY, but Hip Hop/Rap/Street Culture originated in NYC...you guys wont EVER take that crown..No matter how many no name artist ATL produce. ATL is on top right now, but the West Coast is going to take over...

Now, are any of theses Rappers lyrically better than rappers from NY or the West Coast (with the exception of TLC and Ceelo, who I think belongs in R&B, not Hip-Hop)? I like the beats they produce (still not better than DJ Mustard tho), but dont care to much for the lyrics...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
That's partly the reason for NYC's demise. As I've stated before, NYC's image in hiphop us outdated. You hear the slang coming out of NYC, and it doesn't sound cool anymore. Troy Ave sounds brain dead, Desiigner, who's turning out to be a one hit wonder, is a knock-off Future; Bobby Shmurda is a one hit wonder; Young MA, is veering into the One hit wonder direction. Nobody else from NYC is really worth memtioning. NYC is trying to copy Atlanta's formula and it still isn't making waves.
I dont think it outdated at all, if anything it constantly evolving. NYC does not have artist like they use to but dont think for one second ATL is taking its place as the Hip Hop capital..thats all i am saying..

Old 06-27-2017, 03:24 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Atlanta is winning the poll?
I'm talking about REAL LIFE, not City-Data.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM

910 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
Actually my perspective is reality which you cant seem to accept.
Rock was not stripped of its roots.The pioneers willl always be revered by those who can accept that its a part of history without which the present could not be possible.

No one would know what Rock is because its not dead.Nor is Hip Hop
Your wording and phrasing is very wonky, I have trouble understanding.

People don't really make Rock music anymore, you're missing my point. Musicianship overall is very scarce nowadays in music, this is including hip-hop now, since we're talking music that is mainstream. It was the musicianship, craft, and creativity that gained popularity. The stuff coming out of Atlanta nowadays? It's the opposite. I'm not gonna respect any rapper, who can't even rap.....Then use the fact that they're from Atlanta as an excuse to not rap properly, and claim it as a "style". Even ODB had to actually rap, and he was all over the place.

And oh heaven's no, how dare you not like Atlanta style, you're just jealous that lyricism and creativity isn't popular anymore! That's out-dated! Just let Atlanta produce trash in peace!

The same fate Rock faced, is what hip-hop may face. Oversaturation, brand issues, corruption, and a disinterest due to associating culture advancement to mainstream success/acceptance. Atlanta is at the forefront of that movement. Corporate. Not the hip-hop movement. Get that very clear.

Now what I'm seeing is, a bunch of so-called "hip-hop" artists in Atlanta, doing all this pop/mainstream pandering stuff. In order to get popular and famous, by stripping fundamental elements of hip-hop, and claiming it to be an advancement in the culture and that they're doing us a favor or a service. Which is a joke. But I wouldn't mind rounding me up a few broads in Atlanta if that's what helps them sleep at night lol.

Atlanta was good until 2005, then they did away with hip-hop and strayed on a different path. They had the nice little girl groups in the 90's, sure, but that's R&B. Atlanta did not advance hip-hop to get in, they sabotaged it and sold out. That's some reality for you.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I realize the size of NY, but Hip Hop/Rap/Street Culture originated in NYC...you guys wont EVER take that crown..No matter how many no name artist ATL produce. ATL is on top right now, but the West Coast is going to take over...

Now, are any of theses Rappers lyrically better than rappers from NY or the West Coast (with the exception of TLC and Ceelo, who I think belongs in R&B, not Hip-Hop)? I like the beats they produce (still not better than DJ Mustard tho), but dont care to much for the lyrics...
Maybe it will maybe it wont but either way Atlanta seems like it will always be relevant which is the point people have said. While all cities have had time in the light,ATL was right there.

If im not mistaken I KNOW i hear TLC being refered to ALL the time as one of the to selling Hip hop groups ever by different sources over the years

They looked and sound hip hop to me

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/406731410072600375/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City