Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest to drive in
Boston 45 28.85%
NYC 65 41.67%
Philly 3 1.92%
Baltimore 0 0%
Detroit 1 0.64%
Chicago 2 1.28%
Atlanta 7 4.49%
Miami 6 3.85%
Dallas 1 0.64%
LA 12 7.69%
San Francisco 11 7.05%
other 3 1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times

Advertisements

I have no difficulty driving in any U.S city but the top 3 most difficult for the average driver is probably in no particular order

Philly
Boston
NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM

71 posts, read 91,234 times
Not really sure why a place like Detroit or Dallas got its own poll slot and not Pittsburgh...

Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 AM

657 posts, read 801,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yep. I would post the meme but rules dictate a link (bad word warning)

NYC vs Boston - Imgur
****, the Boston one actually looks like every English city. Reading this thread I can see how it might be a pain to drive in. Never really thought about it. Most would hate driving here lol.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Only within North America. It is 10 times harder to drive in Istanbul for example.
Yeah, some foreign cities have extremely erratic driving. It's hard to believe they even have traffic laws.

They would make even NYC driving seem like peanuts.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
of the cities I've driven in (not driven through) and added one because I wanted to

(worst to least worst)

Boston-
Washington DC-
San Francisco-
Chicago-
Los Angeles-
Atlanta-
Miami-

Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
NYC and it's not even close: Super aggressive cabs, pedestrians that don't really give a $;:$& if a light is red, and absolutely awful entry/exit traffic into/out of Manhattan during rush hour. Thank God for the subway.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
The left turn off of Flatbush Avenue onto Tillary Street (westbound) is one of the most dangerous turns in America IMO. There are two turn lanes and five lanes altogether leading up to the Manhattan Bridge, but most people have no problem turning out of any lane. If you are in the outermost turn lane, you will often be blocked by a flood of cars from the non-turning lanes cutting in front of you. For residents, this encourages dangerous behavior because you get sick of getting stuck at the light, so you start doing the same thing. For tourists, it's disconcerting because you see a car next to you that you think is going straight all of a sudden put the pedal to the metal in an effort to beat you through the light.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
NYC, Boston, LA.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:16 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
My votes are:

Philadelphia -- at least on the side streets because they often are so narrow and in many cases parking is on both sides of the street due to the old row-houses built before autos and garages. Philly's freeway system stinks -- both in terms of coverage and in terms of modernity. The Schuylkill Expressway is ancient and, in most places, has tiny, highly inadequate accelerator lanes for freeway entrances -- very dangerous in today's world... but actually, the horrible freeway system and the general high quality and extreme extensiveness of Philly's rail transit network are charms to me...

Chicago -- especially on the North Side. Narrow streets and immense population and traffic. Try Lincoln heading north during rush hour. If you have hair now, you won't after doing this a few times... Also the JFK out to/past O'Hare is a nightmare well into the night. You can often sit in stopped traffic and watch the L trains whiz by... frustrating.

Atlanta -- even though I like MARTA, it hasn't expanded with Atlanta's extreme sprawl esp in the burbs to the North... They could really use commuter rail deep into the burbs to supplement MARTA's metro trains in the city and close-in burbs... Driving I-85 north; esp during rush hour, is the most horrendous freeway experience I've had in the United States.

New York -- Hey it's New York... 'nuff said.

Write in vote:

Cleveland -- yes, traffic tends to be lighter than most major cities, but oh those streets! They are the worst in the country in terms of pavement. It's often like driving on the surface of the Moon. The excuses: bad winter, lack of funds. These don't fly in my book... and they certainly don't drive.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
i dont see why people complain abuot traffic jams. your sitting in a climate-controlled stereo system attached to a message chair. what does it matter whether your driving 5 minutes or 50 minutes ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City