Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you live in permanently?
Northeastern 33 21.29%
Midwest 25 16.13%
West 52 33.55%
South 45 29.03%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:34 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,494,818 times

Advertisements

Midwest for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 04:24 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,504,203 times
Key word: permanently.

I'd pick the West for sure. It's the most diverse region, and I can obviously move within the region if I get sick of my locale.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:42 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,690,461 times
Certainly not the Southeast. As I am typing the dewpoint is 75F. I am done with absurd humidity like that.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,883,176 times
West in an ideal world. Western part of America has the best scenery and no humidity but I do like living in the South for now. I lived in the Midwest and Northeast both were okay but I prefer the warmer weather.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
The west for me. Did the east and the south already. Love the west the most.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 918,769 times
Do people really think that Maryland has more in common with MA than it does Virginia? Have those people ever lived in both Maryland and Virginia?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,189,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSalmon View Post
They're below the Mason-Dixon line, and are part of the original demarcation of the South/North.

Most people's stereotype of the South is the deep south, the plantation South, however the South has many different regions.
No, Delaware is EAST/NORTHEAST of the Mason-Dixon line; Maryland is south of it. As a Delaware transplant of over 15 years, I don't particularly view Maryland as "Southern", either; the Census is quite outdated in that regard.

But Delaware, for sure, is not Southern--never has been. It was literally born out of Pennsylvania, to which it is intrinsically linked. While it was a slave state (barely), it never left the Union and never had Confederate militias assembled within its borders. Throughout its entire history, the majority of its population has lived within 70 miles of Philadelphia.

Anyways, back to the original question. Given the political and social climate of this country, I choose the Northeast, as it seems best poised to deal with many of the challenges of the future, given its smaller area, better transportation network, and highest accumulation of wealth. Out of all four regions, the Northeast will be able to adapt the quickest, whether that's climate change, mass immigration or even war.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:57 PM

755 posts, read 574,644 times
Affordability- Midwest/South Tie
Urbanity- Northeast
Weather- South
Education (K-12)- Northeast
Education (Higher education)- Each region has good/bad schools
Social scene (ease of networking/making friends, etc)- Midwest and South for friendliness
Outdoor activities (Surfing/Skiing/Hiking/Rock climbing/etc)- West
Food- South/West Tie
Music/art scene (concerts/museums)- South music/Northeast art
Nightlife (bars/clubs/taverns/dancing and music venues)- Not sure on a regional level
Arctitecture- Tie, each region has their own style
Scenery- West
Public transit- Northeast
Job opportunities- Midwest
Shopping- Not sure
Diversity- Northeast

Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,908,444 times
Affordability- Northeast & Midwest-You have to know where to live
Urbanity- Northeast and Midwest
Weather- Northeast
Education (K-12)- Northeast
Education (Higher education)- All of the regions have both good and not-so-good districts.
Social scene (ease of networking/making friends, etc)-Midwest
Outdoor activities (Surfing/Skiing/Hiking/Rock climbing/etc)-Northeast (Skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, swimming)
Food- Northeast
Music/art scene (concerts/museums)- Northeast
Nightlife (bars/clubs/taverns/dancing and music venues)- Decent ones in each region
Arctitecture- Each region has their own distinctive style(s). I like Cape Cods, Colonials, Greek Revival, and Victorians.
Scenery- Northeast!
Public transit- Northeast
Job opportunities- Northeast and Midwest
Shopping- Not really my thing; there's always online shopping anyways. Somewhere that there are book traders, antique stores w/ strange items, new age stores, and thrift shops.
Diversity- Northeast

Overall the Northeast is my preferred place to live.

My 2nd choice would be the Midwest.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM

7,741 posts, read 6,491,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGray View Post
The Midwest or South... If you can find a decent paying job you can live like a king. The west is mostly really flat, brown, and boring. The parts that arn't boring are quite crowded and expensive.
I prefer the Midwest myself but ummm the flattest states are in the South (Florida) and Midwest (Illinois, Kansas) The West is the opposite of flat. Umm, ever heard of the Rockies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City